Was there supposed the be a update from Carrie Patel today? If so, can somebody send along. Sorry if off topic. didn't want to start a new one

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=247#updates

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

pledging has slowed down to a crawl.. not sure how many days to take to 2M and what's more with uninteresting goals with 2.2M. really like to know why previous backers not back yet. i myself (would be a new backer) but that's not much i can pledge for. or was it really everyone waiting for paypal? if not mistaken the first PoE has 77K and all were through KS?

pledging has slowed down to a crawl.. not sure how many days to take to 2M and what's more with uninteresting goals with 2.2M. really like to know why previous backers not back yet. i myself (would be a new backer) but that's not much i can pledge for. or was it really everyone waiting for paypal? if not mistaken the first PoE has 77K and all were through KS?

Nah, the pledging curve is about normal.  This was the original distribution from 2012.

dailypledges.png

Actually, Kickstarter drew 73K.

• Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Nah, the pledging curve is about normal.  This was the original distribution from 2012.

dailypledges.png

Thanks for the graph! Let's hope the closure will have a great spike!. Can't wait.

Edit

Actually what i'm stressing here is not the amount. Is the amount of backers. Average per backer is very high for the amount. What's actually important for a crowd funding campaign is the amount of backers IMO. So right now it's just 17K (not even 17K yet at this point of the post) vs 73K backers. The amount of interest for a game should > the amount of money pledged per backer.

Edited by Archaven
  • Like 1

Oooh, there's only a UI Customisation stretch goal!

Edit: Includes demo of the IE mod!

Wow who switched the mod to use that crap ass textures?

Not me, that's for damn sure!

Also, the Pat Rothfuss companion was cut!? They made a pretty major deal over him joining the team. I'd say he ran out of time because he was writing Kingkiller 3 but we know that's not likely :p

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

dailypledges.png

Thanks for the graph! Let's hope the closure will have a great spike!. Can't wait.

Edit

Actually what i'm stressing here is not the amount. Is the amount of backers. Average per backer is very high for the amount. What's actually important for a crowd funding campaign is the amount of backers IMO. So right now it's just 17K (not even 17K yet at this point of the post) vs 73K backers. The amount of interest for a game should > the amount of money pledged per backer.

It's not clear to me why it's the amount of backers that's really important... to me it seems obvious that what really counts is the the budget that you have at the end of the campaign to make your game with. Reaching a similar amount with fewer backers has a few advantages that immediately come to mind. It means fewer rewards have to be sent out and paid for, so a higher percentage of the money can actually be used to fund the game. It also means fewer people will already own the game at release, which means sales hopefully will be higher. Of course fewer backers also mean fewer people who spread the word and bring attention to the game which was a great benefit of the kickstarter campaigns of a few years ago. But it also was at least in part because crowdfunding video games was a very new and exciting thing. Those days are over unfortunately.

About why there are fewer people backing this campaign than the last, I'm not sure. In part it's certainly because of what I've already mentioned. The excitement about crowdfunding has worn off somewhat, there's not as much media attention. Also fig is a relatively new platform that has much less name recognition than kickstarter. I think that has a lot to do with it. It's always difficult to convince people to hand out money but the hurdle is much easier to overcome if they already know the name and feel that they can trust it.

But I really think it's mostly that we're in a different situation now when it comes to crowdfunding video games. If I take myself as an example (not data, I know, but I think that this is what's going on with a lot of people). A few years ago, I backed pretty much everything that looked even slightly interesting. Not so much because I was excited for all those games and wanted to play them, I knew I probably wouldn't because I don't have that much time. But I was excited for the idea of crowdfunding and creating an alternative to publishers who, I felt, catered too little to audiences outside the mainstream. I don't do it like this anymore. Not necessarily because I've become disappointed or disillusioned with the idea but because it's just not sustainable for me to keep throwing money a games that I probably won't ever play. So now I'm backing only those that I'm really excited about and want to play. For me that's PoE2 right now. I think many of the backers from the first campaign think that way but have different priorities. So I guess it's quite unlikely that we can reach the number of backers from before or to continue to grow the backer base. For that reason I'm also happy that they're doing it on fig where the investment model creates an alternative incentive to give money to the campaign, a more rational, self-interested one to complement the idealism that sustained the earlier campaigns. Seems to be working so far.

Edited by mumbogumshoe

Actually.. since the custom UI is a stretch goal.. if the goal is hit.. i would like to see something like... 

Sharing UI / menu settings.

Would that be possible? Say Ashen Rohk made his own customised UI and shown it on youtube, it would be great we can download the .ini files or something? So that we can use it on our own? Just my 2 cents.

@mumbogumshoe

thanks for providing your insights about my thoughts. the reason why i mentioned less backers are not good because it could mean that those original backers who backed the game, don't really like how the game has turned out (although it was commercially successful). it possibly means people are actually less interested in the genre as a whole (which i really hope not).

Edited by Archaven
  • Like 1

Actually.. since the custom UI is a stretch goal.. if the goal is hit.. i would like to see something like... 

Sharing UI / menu settings.

Would that be possible? Say Ashen Rohk made his own customised UI and shown it on youtube, it would be great we can download the .ini files or something? So that we can use it on our own? Just my 2 cents.

It'll probably be doable through the Nexus Mod site, it's where the most recent version of the IE mod is stored.

Along with literally dozens of mods that put semi-naked women as portraits.

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

dailypledges.png

Edit

dailybackers.png

Yes, Deadfire is way off the pace on the number of backers compared to PE. I haven't seen nearly as much media coverage this time around. 

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Pretty sure they got lots of stuff to show (I mean wtf were they been working on for a year??) but they're gonna show them bit by bit throughout the month to pump up the hype.

Yup, and it bears repeating that Feargus said there could be 3 updates this week when I asked on Fig. One was the Returning Companions update yesterday, the next is today (it could be the Twitch Stream, but I think it's another update), and another was slated Thursday or Friday (I can't remember which and it's buried on Fig's Comments). My name on Fig is DomesticBlend and I use the same Avatar as here if you go looking.

i expect a couple enticing reveals a week, but we will see. This campaign is really controlled in terms of info dumps and stretch goals. It's definitely more professional than the previous where they through everything at the wall during the campaign. They've learned. Lol

• Like 1

It would be great if Obsidian had something in store that could drum up a bit of media attention... Having nice stretch goals is great, it keeps people who are already on board excited but I don't know if it does much to get new backers in. I don't think there are many people out there who think, "well, I really wasn't so sure about all this up to now but NPC Poirtraits??? Wow, take my money!" I guess the localizations could work that way in that some people decide to back it because they're looking forward to playing it in their own language. Anyway, I think a greater effort should be made to get the word out. I wouldn't have known about this myself if I didn't follow Josh on twitter...

Wow who switched the mod to use that crap ass textures?

Yeah WTF o_O

Aren't Karkarov's the default? They're *WAY* better than those.

I re-downloaded and checked yesterday.  All the original texture files bundled with the mod are still there, but not the default anymore.  Really annoying considering the new default is pretty terrible.  I looks like whoever did the "rock bar" mod just edited the IE Mod and forced his textures to be the defaults.

So far those stretch goals were kinda boring.. it's all localization, NPC portraits and level cap. The most interesting one for me is Xoti (thank god we hit that goal). I hope for more companions, more story/side content and i personally love the Mega Dungeon. It was bad simply because.. it became too boring when it's too easy. If this time around they have dynamic AI (as the claim?) it would be really interesting to see 5 vs 5 party fights!

• Like 1

So far those stretch goals were kinda boring.. it's all localization, NPC portraits and level cap. The most interesting one for me is Xoti (thank god we hit that goal). I hope for more companions, more story/side content and i personally love the Mega Dungeon. It was bad simply because.. it became too boring when it's too easy. If this time around they have dynamic AI (as the claim?) it would be really interesting to see 5 vs 5 party fights!

Yeah, I think the stretch goals up to now have been a bit too technical, except for the new companion. Hard to get very excited about. I mean, I really like detailed AI scripting and it's great that it's in. Will make the game better. But it doesn't exactly fire up the imagination...
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think the stretch goals up to now have been a bit too technical, except for the new companion. Hard to get very excited about. I mean, I really like detailed AI scripting and it's great that it's in. Will make the game better. But it doesn't exactly fire up the imagination...

The big guns will be saved for the end.  Don't be surprised if another companion gets put up there, or a new take on the Mega Dungeon happens.

The big guns will be saved for the end.  Don't be surprised if another companion gets put up there, or a new take on the Mega Dungeon happens.

I'm pretty sure they have mentioned a new spin on the Stronghold, and it will likely be a stretch too. I really expect meatier stretch goals after we clear the next one or two. We will still have new localizations on each goal, I believe. I just think we will see better things to accompany them.

The big guns will be saved for the end. Don't be surprised if another companion gets put up there, or a new take on the Mega Dungeon happens.

Oh, I'm fully expecting this. I'm not necessarily talking about stretch goals... But some new artwork would be cool. A map of the deadfire archipelago perhaps. Or some more details about some stuff we already know a bit about. Who's the blue-haired orlan, or the aumaua with the bird? I'm sure it will be coming but I'm starting to feel ready for some more meaty stuff... It started with a bang, literally. That giant Adra statue waking up and breaking through the ground? I immediately thought, yes, awesome idea! Deadfire archipelago and pirate theme? Exactly what I wanted! I feel it's getting time for some more of that even though I understand that they want to keep the best for last.

• Like 1

Exactly. They are playing this really smart so far. Localization with something more of a minor stretch goals is giving them a steady income in pledges when people from said localization target markets pledge, while still riding the campaign start media wave/hype. Thus saving the so called big guns to later days when the media attention and exposure starts to dwindle. And boom, some amazing stretch goal and here they go again as gaming sites pick up the story.

Not to mention the slow but steady trickle of information and interviews... Well played ;)

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.