Of all the people on this forum I will obviously be the one who has to say "hell yeah, UI customization!"  It isn't like there were posts or debates about the UI or anything with Eternity 1.  Never happened.  I wasn't involved in them either.

• Like 5

So does UI customization mean mod support (the most important thing to me) or just move windows around (couldn't care less)? lol HUGE difference.

I would assume it means something like this:

mHnqV.jpg

An in-depth way to tell the game which UI elements you wish to see and in which for you wish to see them

• Like 1

"Inspired by the mod community from Pillars of Eternity, we would like to add in the option to customize the position of UI elements, toggle pieces of the UI on and off, adjust HUD transparency, and much more."

IS there a specific mod or set of mods they might be referring to here?

The one and only (number /1): IEMod

Edit: ok, and this one: Wooden HUD Textures

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

An in-depth way to tell the game which UI elements you wish to see and in which for you wish to see them

This is already how I play the game. I suppose it would be nice to lower the portraits of the characters so they're just horizontal health bars (probably would require UI modding still to do this) to gain even more screen real-estate; then clicking a health bar during combat would raise it to show the normal portrait (individually).

yyz.png

Lol wood textures.  I may go butcher that one just to get my UI without all the other IE mod stuff.  No wait it is just a texture trying to piggy back IE mod.  Life sucks.

Now that I am playing eternity again, and now 4k, maybe I should try to fix it so 4k works....  as I recall Eternity won't let you do over 1080 textures though... no...not again.... STAHPPPPP

Edited by Karkarov

Humm... Bad goals stretch.

Good for Italian players but the two last goals are... 

...Not really good.

For this price (400 000 $) Add :

- Big Cities.

- Classes.

- Complete Audio dub. (English, French, German etc.)

- More quest...

etc.

It is the problem with goal stretch, I suspect the first goals are "already planned and purely cosmetic " and last, a stopgap.

Don't forget : Goal is also a encouragement for invest or pledge. The two last don't deal dream.

Edited by theBalthazar

Humm... Bad goals stretch.

Good for Italian players but the two last goals are... 

...Not really good.

For this price (400 000 $) Add :

- Big Cities.

- Classes.

- Complete Audio dub. (English, French, German etc.)

- More quest...

etc.

It is the problem with goal stretch, I suspect the first goals are "already planned and purely cosmetic " and last, a spile.

Don't forget : Goal is also a encouragement pour invest or pledge. The two last don't deal dream.

Most of those things would not be stretch goals as they would require a lot more time and effort than the money raised by them. Obsidian learned their lesson about this during the last crowdfunding campaign.

• Like 2

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Probably the biggest reason why kickstarting isn't as big as it was couple of years ago is because pretty much every kickstarter campaign over promised. I'm glad of these more grounded stretch goals.

• Like 5

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I also think a lot of crowdfunding campaigns overestimate the importance of stretch goals in getting funding. I've not backed Deadfire yet because I'm waiting for my next pay cheque to do so, but I am going to regardless of whatever the current stretch goal happens to be when that comes about. I suspect there are a lot of people like me who don't back straight away for various reasons, but plan to regardless. I'd rather stretch goals were realistic and hence gave developers more autonomy on where to spend their development time and money than force them to, say, spend time and money making a 15 floor dungeon...

• Like 1

the infinite dungeon on 10 stretch goals~ (I don't remember) was a mistake. Indeed.

I think stretch goals are more of "brewing idea". To see the differences with the first game, and add true and unique new contents.

So : multiple ideas and not repetitive (what was the dungeon)

Edited by theBalthazar

The purpose is : take as much money as possible.

I prefer "dream" purpose. More hype and more money for the studio. Money use for create a better game.

You understand ? It is more advantageous^^

Well...

Promising too muchs is counterproductive: they have to invest money, and worse, time, in some "extras" that they may or may not have in detriment of the "core" game. I would rather have this small improvements that make the overall game feel better. Dubbing a game is bloody expensive, and I think localizations are a must if they want to reach a wider audience.

I would love to see a new companion on one of the next SG though.

Changing subjetc, does anyone know if those watercolor portraits are definitive? I mean, I like the art but the background seems a bit... off with the rest of the game. Maybe if seen in-game they feel good, but that's my first impression.

Lol wood textures.  I may go butcher that one just to get my UI without all the other IE mod stuff.  No wait it is just a texture trying to piggy back IE mod.  Life sucks.

Now that I am playing eternity again, and now 4k, maybe I should try to fix it so 4k works....  as I recall Eternity won't let you do over 1080 textures though... no...not again.... STAHPPPPP

If you can tell me how to run with my textures without the IE mod, I'll gladly change the mod.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

I think stretch goals are more of "brewing idea".

Problem is, if you promise something in a stretch goal and it isn't there in the final game, people are going to be disappointed or angry.

Honestly I'd be happy if there was one open stretch goal that said "any money beyond the funding goal will allow us to add more content and make existing content better" and leave it at that. I'd rather let Obsidian decide what extra content that might be as and when they get to it.

• Like 2

If they just pumped that 400k into mod support then we could just make AI & UI Customization.

I would like to obnoxiously update my own quote to this:

If they just pumped 600k+ (from the last couple and the upcoming Stretch Goals) into mod support then we could just make AI & UI Customization and, I've seen many times in the past, localization is done by the community because the game is easy to mod. It's a win-win situation for everyone in more ways than one. Maybe I should of used three wins. lol

For me, it is not over-promise. But take more money and Propose more attractive goals stretch. (Even something that would not take too long overall)

With money you can do everything. Take more time and refine the game OR focus on main Base material and strengthen it etc 

If they just pumped 600k+ (from the last couple and the upcoming Stretch Goals) into mod support then we could just make AI & UI Customization and, I've seen many times in the past, localization is done by the community because the game is easy to mod. It's a win-win situation for everyone in more ways than one. Maybe I should of used three wins. lol

Exactly.

Edited by theBalthazar