Know what, yes, that's a stretch goal I want:

1.8 million - Fix our ****

If we reach the stretch goal of 1.8 million, we'll sit down and fix the **** that's broken in both Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity on the level of their engine. This goal means we'll finally bring you a technically competent product! Rejoice!

Well, they did say that loading times will be reduced since everything will be pre-loaded in background.

I won't be as optimistic about pathfinding though...

Stretch goal: whips. I mean as weapons.

Seriously... I'm asking for this since I set foot into this forum. OK, to make it a more appealing stretch goal let's call it "exotic weapons". I mean nobody's neutral about nunchakus and stuff, right? ;)

Make it happen.

• Like 5

Naturally, as I have expressed a preference for something like prestige classes over multiclassing in other threads, the stretch goal of adding sub-classes meets with my approval.  

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Stretch goal: whips. I mean as weapons.

Seriously... I'm asking for this since I set foot into this forum. OK, to make it a more appealing stretch goal let's call it "exotic weapons". I mean nobody's neutral about nunchakus and stuff, right? ;)

[snip]

Make it happen.

Also, totally consistent with the more nautical elements in the game.

• Like 1

Cat o nine tails for a whip, taken from the cruel pirate mistress who lashes the galley slaves when they don't row fast enough. Burn lash...

Also- though it's a bit of a stretch period-wise, the volley gun was a multi-barrel, early 19th century innovation meant to be used by the guy in the rigging to fire down at boarding parties.... usually just exploded in the hand though...could be an interesting blunderbuss unique

There were also some interesting axes in use by the ottomans in the 16th century

My main weapon desire, however is basket hilts on more swords, like spelltongue has. Or just search google images

I'd also love to see plate armor updated to reflect the shift from medieval to more modern.

My most wanted ideas for stretchgoals:

- NPC creator mod tools.  (This would probably be better for game development too, and you know they're going to use this engine for several more years.)

- More findable powers, including chants, enchantment recipes, and wild forms.

- A separate dungeon-runner dlc.  I actually really liked Endless Paths, and the giant statue was one of the coolest and most unique pieces of lore.  Perhaps have a couple artists draw different rough pictures and pick the best by backer vote.

- 100 tiny encounters.  Tiny little vignettes that add nothing to the overall plot.  The wizard encounter at the top of the magic store in BG1.  Meeting Elminster in BG2.  Killing yourself for fun and profit in Planescape Torment.  I don't know if Sawyer "gets" little pieces of reactivity like that.  I think everyone who talks to you has to be part of a quest to him.

Less wanted or plausible:

- Sword and Pistol style (with better gun feats than the current ones).

- A village made of boats tied together that moves to different places in the world based on a schedule.

- Sentient monster races as possible character builds: particularly vithrack, but also delemgan, and xaurip.
- Animancer sub-class for wizard.

- Biawac spell for druids.

- A few well-written random encounters.

- A tool for making new maps using existing art assets (you use the backgrounds and playable eras

Least Plausible or Wanted Ones

- Advanced druid transformation into animals after he's defeated one.

- A special mode where almost everyone speaks in their own language, and players have to translate it as best they can.  That and a new languages skill.

- Pillars 1 ported into the new engine.

- A build testing arena mode.

No 15 level mega-dungeon and "2nd major city" pls.

I think they're probably learned their lesson and will keep stretch goals in scope.

That mega-dungeon was pretty fun to go through and lead to POEII narrative start point...

• Like 8

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

No 15 level mega-dungeon and "2nd major city" pls.

I think they're probably learned their lesson and will keep stretch goals in scope.

That mega-dungeon was pretty fun to go through and lead to POEII narrative start point...

It's an OK dungeon. The problem is that there are a few floors that are there to meet the goal. The level with the spores comes to mind as an example. There are a good many levels that should've been cut, but were left in to meet a floor quota.

I'd rather have a solid handful of smaller, well designed dungeons than one that is so big it feels spread thin at times.

- More findable powers, including chants, enchantment recipes, and wild forms.

- Animancer sub-class for wizard.

- Pillars 1 ported into the new engine.

- A build testing arena mode.

these are some good ideas, though I seriously doubt there will be any remaking of the original game

Invest more time into making the animations look great! Gaming is a visual medium, and an RPG with lifelike animations really gives life to the characters that you grow attached to over the course of the game. If they're just moving pixels that swing a sword two different ways and run three different ways, it pulls you out of the immersion. Lots of developers seem to under-value animation, but it's so important and gives the game the appearance of high production values.

• Like 3

Every class can be an animancer as far as I can tell. So limiting it to wizards may not be in line with the lore. Would be cool to have animancer as a seperate class (in order to multiclass) which you can't pick as starting class.

Concerning whips: they should be reach weapons. :) And wouldn't it be cool to have the "blunderbuss of whips", the cat o'nine tails. Normal melee range, but 9 seperate "projectiles" with very low damage? Hooray for Vulnerable Attack and Ryona's Vambraces! ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Btw.. regarding stretch goals.. did Obsidian missed out any on their stretch goals in first PoE?

Nope. Although, you could argue that the stronghold and "big city 2" didn't turn out exactly as explained.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Invest more time into making the animations look great! Gaming is a visual medium, and an RPG with lifelike animations really gives life to the characters that you grow attached to over the course of the game. If they're just moving pixels that swing a sword two different ways and run three different ways, it pulls you out of the immersion. Lots of developers seem to under-value animation, but it's so important and gives the game the appearance of high production values.

+1. completely agree with you on this.

Btw.. regarding stretch goals.. did Obsidian missed out any on their stretch goals in first PoE?

Nope. Although, you could argue that the stronghold and "big city 2" didn't turn out exactly as explained.

Really, I thought Big City 1 was as much of a problem as big city 2.  And they did get the stronghold to where it should be (after two expansions).

And it seems like the teaser slides indicated that there will be at least 3 factions, perhaps more.  Rauatai, Valian Republics, and the locals are probably in there.

Edited by anameforobsidian

Yeah, this is a big one that people will likely ignore or scorn because of the whole nerd-macho "I don't need no steeekin' graphics!" attitude (when in fact Pillars is a goddamn beautiful game as were the Infinity Engine ones!). Better and more expressive animations, and more of them, could be wonderful. I'd consider upping my backing amount for that.

Edited by Eurhetemec
  • Like 1

Looking at the pace of pledges seems to go down tremendously. Grossly i think 16% of the number of backers compared to 77K. Hopefully at least 70% of the backers would come back? On a separate note, would it be better to do a +200K jump instead of a bigger gap? Just a suggestion.

Edited by Archaven

Looking at the pace of pledges seems to go down tremendously. Grossly i think 16% of the number of backers compared to 77K. Hopefully at least 70% of the backers would come back? On a separate note, would it be better to do a +200K jump instead of a bigger gap? Just a suggestion.

Pledging isn't typically at a steady rate in a crowdfunding campaign. The vast majority of pledges come at the beginning and near the end. As Obsidian's video on the making of Pillars 1 said, they got almost as much pledged in the last 24hrs as the first 24hrs. In-between, the pledging rate was much, much lower, and we're into that lower rate now. I wouldn't expect things to speed up much until the last week.

Further assuming they let Paypal work eventually that'll lead to a jump there - but one that will only be unofficially recorded, I think.

• Like 1

Pledging isn't typically at a steady rate in a crowdfunding campaign. The vast majority of pledges come at the beginning and near the end. As Obsidian's video on the making of Pillars 1 said, they got almost as much pledged in the last 24hrs as the first 24hrs. In-between, the pledging rate was much, much lower, and we're into that lower rate now. I wouldn't expect things to speed up much until the last week.

Further assuming they let Paypal work eventually that'll lead to a jump there - but one that will only be unofficially recorded, I think.

Actually that behavior happens to many kickstarter projects if not mistaken. Comparing to first PoE KS, how much the pledge for the 2nd and 3rd day? Hopefully we are not that far back behind. If there's actually less backers who comes back for pledges, that would be an interesting discussion as to why if not at least majority of the backers are not backing. Were they not happy with the first PoE how it turned out? Let's hope we can get up to 2M soon. I wanted to back initially but due to some disappointments on the game design decision i really dislike, i'm opting for the wait and jump in last min bandwagon.

Edited by Archaven

My guess is that alot of people out there is gunning for payday before pledging. There should be a surge in the next couple of days, then a slow progression until near the end of the campaign. Ofc it also depends on how much media it will get, and how well OE runs the campaign. Fergus said in the documentary that a crowdfunding campaign is like a political one.

So let's make PoE great again! ;) 

• Like 3