Any chance we can get turn based combat this time? Pretty please with sugar on top:)
I love the story of poe and tyranny, but the cluster **** of real time with pause fighting is just so chaotic and annoying that i stopped half way trough both games.

Any chance we can get turn based combat this time? Pretty please with sugar on top:)

I love the story of poe and tyranny, but the cluster **** of real time with pause fighting is just so chaotic and annoying that i stopped half way trough both games.

Since the game is explicitly promoted as RTwP in the Fig video I'm afraid you're out of luck...

• Like 1

I lose interest on Torment because of turn based combat.

Infinity Engine spirit is RTwP combat

Agreed, this is exactly how it was for me.  Love PST still, just can't buy into TToN because of turn based.  If PoE went turn based I'd be out so no thanks to OP's request.

Please NO. TB are way restrictive and actually limit options. Many game mechanics are taken out such as attack speed and that makes % chance to hit/stun useless.

Edited by Archaven

Would be neat if it was, or had the option. I have a recollection of Tim Cain impliying (in jest, and long ago) something to the effect of being able to convert PoE 1 to being turnbased.

They won't be doing it, obviously, but it would be cool if they would, and the game certainly would be worth more to me (and some others).

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 2

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Pretty sure POE 2 will not have turned based combat.

However fear not for the Pathfinder RPG survey seemed to suggest that we will get a wonderful Turned Based CRPG set in the pathfinder sometime in the future.

I really hope that is the case and in the end results in Obsidian having two really great studio owned Ips with really different gameplay yet true to their crpg roots.

POE = Real time with pause

Pathfinder/Mystery game = Turned Based

• Like 1

Pretty sure POE 2 will not have turned based combat.

However fear not for the Pathfinder RPG survey seemed to suggest that we will get a wonderful Turned Based CRPG set in the pathfinder sometime in the future.

I really hope that is the case and in the end results in Obsidian having two really great studio owned Ips with really different gameplay yet true to their crpg roots.

POE = Real time with pause

Pathfinder/Mystery game = Turned Based

I think one might want to be wary of assuming that there will be a Pathfinder PC CRPG from Obsidian, especially any time soon. Given there have been no announcements, just people reading into survey questions and a hell of a lot of wishful thinking, you might want to not be hyping people about something that may not exist outside your mind. It's a great way to cause disappointment and unnecessary, unfair bitterness towards Obsidian if it doesn't happen.

That said, given Pathfinder's design, it'd be very hard to make it not basically turn-based (at least in the underlying system - and at that point you might as well put a turn-based option in).

Of course the sad thing is, the main problem with a Pathfinder CRPG would be that system, because it takes the worst traits of 3.XE and amplifies them severely (ironically its attempts to fix various problems with 3.XE just lead to them being worse problems down the line). The difference between a min-maxed PF character of a strong class and a merely vaguely optimised one of a weak class is the largest of any non-intentionally-imbalanced p&p RPG I can think of. Having a party only multiplies the problem. They'll need a top difficulty mode that makes Path of the Damned look like Story mode. At least Sawyer seems aware of this issue (given his discussion of stats at GDC, where he mentions it in passing - particularly re: how amazingly people managed to optimize characters in 3E/PF like the famous LOL-R-SK8), so I suspect most of their system designers are.

That said if you just banned a bunch of the worst Feats, spells, and PrCs and really limited resting opportunities you could reduce the problem to manageable levels, at least below about L15.

Edited by Eurhetemec

I personally prefer turn based, much like Shadowrun. But I set up RTwP auto pause to simulate Turn Based well enough. So it isn't a huge deal to me.

There are SO many TB game in the market. There's only ONE modern RTwP game that was Pillars of Eternity. Please don't kill it. If people dislike RTwP it probably means they are not the intended audience. It's just like begging Blizzard that i wan't Starcraft III badly for it to be TB. You get the idea.

Edited by Archaven
  • Like 3

Sawyer's preference is that after Deadfire, he wants to make a historically grounded TB game.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I find turn based combat both boring and a frustrating chore :( Like oh look, half my group is getting hit by an AoE good thing they just politely stand there and take it instead of moving out of it.

I abandoned playing some older games because by the time combat ended, I was bored enough to not even remember what I was doing in that area in the first place (looking at you, Fallout 1 >_>)

I find turn based combat both boring and a frustrating chore :( Like oh look, half my group is getting hit by an AoE good thing they just politely stand there and take it instead of moving out of it.

I abandoned playing some older games because by the time combat ended, I was bored enough to not even remember what I was doing in that area in the first place (looking at you, Fallout 1 >_>)

Turn-based combat isn't for everyone, much like RTwP isn't. My personal preference is for TB, but many of my favorite games, including Dragon Age Origin and the BG series are RTwP. It's not a deal breaker for me personally, but just a preference to play style.

I could be diplomatic and suggest a mode for that, but we all probably have enough experience to know those always blow.

I don't quite buy the "it hasn't been done well before, ergo, it cannot be done well" line of thinking.

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I don't quite buy the "it hasn't been done well before, ergo, it cannot be done well" line of thinking.

Of course it can be done well, if you develop entirely separate set of mechanics for both real-time and turn-based. Which is not something I'd like Obsidian investing into.

Of course it can be done well, if you develop entirely separate set of mechanics for both real-time and turn-based. Which is not something I'd like Obsidian investing into.

Course you won't, and I don't think Obsidian would even consider it. Just saying, though. They already have a working RTwP system at hand to tweak and mold.

I could be diplomatic and suggest a mode for that, but we all probably have enough experience to know those always blow.

I dont know if I particularly do either, but I always try to evaluate a new feature for a game realistically by considering the time and money that would have to go into it.

I dont want Obsidian to blow dev time on a half assed turn based mode, and I REALLY dont want them blowing time and money on a fully functional turn based mode. It could be done well given enough time, but that much time for a feature that doesn't really fit the spirit of the POE franchise seems impractical, or a waste of resources.

Edited by boffmoffet
  • Like 2

It will obviously keep on being RTwP, as it should. I love many turn-based games, but no need here. Good thing, though, is that the slow mode during combat is default now.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I think that ship has sailed off long ago

I didn't like the RtwP when it was set in stone for the first kickstarter campaign but it is not a dealbreaker for me. Both systems have their (dis)advantages.

You couldn't do fights like in PE1 where all of the enemies unload myriads of AOEs and debuffs first turn on your party and you have to eat them, that would lead to every char having to be a tank or the introduction of completely new mechanics like initiative to combat that. Or it would change the nature/composition of the fights.

After one playthrough on PotD I just switched to Normal and afk'd the fights, they were a clusterf**k with constant pausing anyway but I did like that you could just run in circles if you knew the fights beforehand and let the enemies unload their heavy hitters and miss.