so, is this a thing now?  based on the blue orlan with the paired flintlocks in the concept art, am seeing a possibility o' a two-gun jake, yes?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Now how would it be possible to show the reloading animation for two pistols simultaneously?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I think so. I wonder how they will balance that. Pistols were in an odd place in the first game. Short range, didn't do as much damage as the arquebuss, etc. This might be their way to balance it. Along with damage tweaks, of course. They might also be easier on reload time than the other guns.

Now how would it be possible to show the reloading animation for two pistols simultaneously?

A lot of pirates tied their weapons (usually a small handful) around their neck, and dropped them after firing. Could be a similar thing where they let one go, reload, drop, grab other pistol reload, etc. However, typically pirates would move to their melee weapon after firing all their guns.

never let plausibility preclude a game mechanic.  is a slippery slope. am suspecting we would simple get the single gun reload animation.

HA! Good Fun!

ps is no question such dual wielding is ridiculous, but so too is so many other aspects o' poe combat.

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Or you could have a brace of flintlocks on your persons. Granted, you wouldn't be able to put out as much dakka downrange as you would with all these Derringers, but you get the idea:

DerringerMeryl.jpg

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

well, double-barrel flintlocks would get you a couple extra shots before reload, but such a weapon doesn't actual address leferd's reload concern.  am suspecting If we get dual wield pistols, the reload question will simple be ignored.

HA! Good Fun!

From a practical standpoint, it wouldn't really make sense to reload in the midst of a scrum anyway.

Just fire several pre-loaded pistols.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Well in Vermintide the Witch Hunter also dual-wielded flintlock pistols (and going by the ammo counter, he would have had at least 40 under his coat) and simply dropped the empty ones after firing and reaching into his coat for a fresh one. I suppose for POEII that kind of animation would suffice and just take the game's word for it that after the encounter your PC picked up all the empty guns and reloaded them all before the next encounter.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I still like the 'brace of pistols' idea from way back in poe beta-

Instead of a second weapon set you get three pistols, and you can fire them with out reload. The it goes back to a normal pistol reload animation.

This would allow flanking characters to be active while mobs engage frontliners, then switch to melee and leap into the fray.

I think that would allow some utility to rogues, who tend to waste a few seconds in the initial rush because they're too squishy.

Then the arquebus is the heavy ranged option, and the blunderbuss meant for alpha strike.

Dual pistols could work in the same fashion.

But it's good to see obsidian saw the awesomeness of dual pistols. Adds to the atomsphere and looks awesome, as the Orlan in the art so clearly demonstrates

From a practical standpoint, it wouldn't really make sense to reload in the midst of a scrum anyway.

slippery slope

even the best flintlocks had rather high chance o' misfire.  slight too little powder and you get breach. wet conditions, particular rain, would make for unlikely successful discharge and almost impossible reload. etc.

HA! Good Fun!

slippery slope

even the best flintlocks had rather high chance o' misfire.  slight too little powder and you get breach. wet conditions, particular rain, would make for unlikely successful discharge and almost impossible reload. etc.

HA! Good Fun!

Certainly more discerning gentlemen ought to dual wield dueling pistols. Less susceptible to the ignominious unreliability of more mundane varieties.

Dual wielding pistols would be nice - if it's done properly, they need to address the reloading animation first though, I suspect it will be difficult to do properly. Speaking for myself, if the animation is clunky and looks rather silly I will probably end up skipping it though.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

These pistols are not revolvers so dual weild pistols sounds a bit weird, unless of course you shoot them both, then reload them both etc. Same goes for sword+pistol weilding; cut, shoot, reload.

Historically, these pistols were most probably melee weapons used in close or full contact with the opponent to inflict a critical would. One shot and off with them! You wouldn't get to reload them in a melee.

Unless they go for "whatever man, this is fantasy! A pistol in each hand pew pew!" they'll probably implement a mechanic for this kind of fightng.

• Like 1

Not really a fan of dual-wielding for various reasons, but dual-wielding pistols I am strangely okay with, especially if its done brace-style.  I would really like sword and pistol style, with the pistol used for special attacks and the like.

Edited by FlintlockJazz
  • Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams