Combat System? Potential Backer Question

Hi, 

I really wanna back the game as PoE was one of my favourite games I've played in the last 5 years. No contest.

But after playing Tyranny, I really have concerns about the combat system being used. Tyranny's combat system was so abysmally simple and boring it kinda ruined any desire I had to replay the game where as the combat in PoE was class based with an active party of NPCs with their own stats, skills and spells.

Basically all I'm asking is whether the combat is gonna be like PoE or Tyranny? If it's an improved version of PoE that retains the complexity, class system and overall gameplay "feel" I will back the game right now. If it's the dumbed down version we've seen in Tyranny, I'll take a pass.

Would appreciate any info!

Thanks guys!

Hmm, so that one says we're probably going to get a ship as a replacement for Caed Nua.

Which is nice and all, but... I liked Caed Nua not just because it was mine, but also because it gave me some status in the world, in the politics. While any old bugger can be captain of a ship, owning land comes with more social standing and more responsibility.

Maybe it's just me, but I would have liked a sequel to tune down on the world hopping and increase the local politics of being the sovereign over that area. Something like what that A Call to Court quest-line of PoE 3.0 foreshadowed.

Which, since we're hunting down Eothas now, won't happen at all. I guess Gathbin gets back his land after all? :(

This link posted in another thread answers some of those questions:

Thank you for the info Gifted1, I also have a question regarding the combat in Pillars of Eternity 2. Will the focus of the game still strongly rely on combat?

In PoE some areas were simply swarmed with enemies so every step you take ended in a big battle.  Again and again...and again. For me this was boring!

I think sometimes the composition wasn`t right. I would like to see more variation in PoE 2.  Like this:  Fight..riddle..conversation..Fight...Investigation...

Best regards,

Edited by WaaahhhrrrGod

For what it's worth, Josh wasn't involved with Tyranny at all and hasn't stated any interest in borrowing from it. He's also definitely heard the criticisms about enemy density and "trash mobs" and will probably try to improve on that. They're also doing NPC schedules, weather and time-sensitive quests, so hopefully that makes the non-combat parts of the game much more interesting.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, Josh wasn't involved with Tyranny at all and hasn't stated any interest in borrowing from it. He's also definitely heard the criticisms about enemy density and "trash mobs" and will probably try to improve on that. They're also doing NPC schedules, weather and time-sensitive quests, so hopefully that makes the non-combat parts of the game much more interesting.

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/26/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-is-obsidians-first-stab-at-crowdfunding-on-fig/

This article has gone against any other I've seen an included the presumed party size, which it says will be 5

The smaller party size is not a good sign :( Why are they dumbing down the game when the first one worked so well? I just don't get why they need to simplify everything? I loved the first game but I hated Tyranny's combat. Making PoE more like Tyranny is very disappointing to me.

Didn´t notice this info before. Now I will back this game as soon Pay Pal is available. Good job!                                                                                                 

Lead designer Josh Sawyer echoed that sentiment, saying that the focus of the new game will be on "refinement, pacing, and overall quality."

"We're still making a huge game, but it's more important for our content to be high quality than it is for us to have a gargantuan 200+ hour game," he said. "Many players criticized us for having too many mob/filler fights in Pillars. It's something we tried to address in patches, but it's a larger focus for the sequel. Not every fight is a setpiece encounter, but it's okay for us to have more areas that are simply for exploration, environmental storytelling, and down time."

http://www.pcgamer.com/obsidian-announces-pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-crowdfunding-campaign-begins/