Localization thread - POE 2 LANGUAGES

Greetings.

29px4rq.jpg

They have their strategy and I have mine. If I do not understand the language of the game, I do not buy it for now. I'll wait for it to be confirmed in Spanish. And then I'll wait for a couple of street goals, just in case. After all, the situation is different from the first Pillars of Eternity. They do not need my money to make a good game and I do not need a game in a language I do not understand.

Txibi.

Seeing as you clearly understand the language, I'd say your problem is pure nationalism.

• Like 2

Guys, don't forget that PoE is such a heavy text game, so, even if many of us can understand english, it still requires more effort than playing in native language.

Not the best thing after 10 hours of work, considering that we play for fun or relax.

I mean, it's not Doom. Reading, understanding and enjoyng dialogues is 60% of the game.

I probably would still enjoy and understand the game in english, but i'm 100% sure the overall experience would be ten times better in my language, same for many non-english folks

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 5

When it comes to Italy and Spain, it's much more than nationalism: in these countries there is a true issue with foreign languages.

My italian countrymen are - on average - especially bad at english, and I know first-hand since I have a job in turism. We are probably the worst in Europe, with Spain coming close second, I believe. I don't want to talk out of my *** but I'm pretty sure I've read statistics on this matter.

This is due to an archaic school system and other historical/political reasons that made italians quite ignorant in the foreign languages field (while for example we are extremely cultured in history, literature and history of art, compared to rest of the world :brows:).

That said, I also understand Obsidian's reasons, because the market for RPGs in Italy is quite small, as far as I know, and not big enough to justify a localization. Moreover, this is not a personal concern of mine, since I understand english and I always tend to play games in their original language, when possible.

This post is just to point out that when you talk about Italy (and Spain too, I believe), *not having a localization* actually means cutting out an higher % of players compared to other european countries, like for example Germany or France. I repeat: higher percentage of players, not higher number, please pay attention! :p

Adding insult to injury, the original BG and the original PoE, as we already know, both had italian localization.

It is definitely *not* just a pride/nationalist crusade, and I side with my tricolored brothers and sisters despite the fact that I'm going to play in english anyway.

• Like 4

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

Guys, don't forget that PoE is such a heavy text game, so, even if many of us can understand english, it still requires more effort than playing in native language.

Not the best thing after 10 hours of work, considering that we play for fun or relax.

I mean, it's not Doom. Reading, understanding and enjoyng dialogues is 60% of the game.

I probably would still enjoy and understand the game in english, but i'm 100% sure the overall experience would be ten times better in my language, same for many non-english folks

True, but in case of a Polish localization some words, that are translated literally, look horrible.

Also it bugs me to hear the English voiceovers and have Polish text.

That's why I play PoE in English.

Tides of Numenera will have a professional cast of actors doing voiceovers, so I will gladly try it out in Polish ;)

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

True, but in case of a Polish localization some words, that are translated literally, look horrible.

Also it bugs me to hear the English voiceovers and have Polish text.

That's why I play PoE in English.

Tides of Numenera will have a professional cast of actors doing voiceovers, so I will gladly try it out in Polish ;)

Was POE polish version bad? Because our version was absolutely stunning, they localized it perfectly and without any error if not few typos.

If there will be some italian version of PoE 2 , i hope they will hire the same team for localization

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 2

Was POE polish version bad? Because our version was absolutely stunning, they localized it perfectly and without any error if not few typos.

If there will be some italian version of PoE 2 , i hope they will hire the same team for localization

No, it wasn't bad. I just can't stand such names as "Jelenioborze" witch is the PL version of "Dyrwood".

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

For the first game, all the localization were stretch goals (I think, French, German and Spanish were at least). If we get stretch goals (aka goes over 1.1m), we should see the other language popup.

It's because there's investors involved now so Localization first and more geek goodies later at the 2 million+ mark.

Bear in mind that Russian and Polish have a completely different alphabet and syntax to most Indo-European languages so I can imagine it would be a lot of effort and investment. That said, if it's done well I'm all for it.

Apparently the Witcher games sound a lot better in Polish but I think they did a great job with the English dub, so swings and roundabouts :)

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

Greetings.

29px4rq.jpg

They have their strategy and I have mine. If I do not understand the language of the game, I do not buy it for now. I'll wait for it to be confirmed in Spanish. And then I'll wait for a couple of street goals, just in case. After all, the situation is different from the first Pillars of Eternity. They do not need my money to make a good game and I do not need a game in a language I do not understand.

Txibi.

Seeing as you clearly understand the language, I'd say your problem is pure nationalism.

Google translator makes miracles xD. This is not nationalism: E.g I can play Call of Duty in English but I cannot play PoE or Divinity Original Sin so this is too much text.

I'm not feel comfortable translating all the time so I prefer to play in my native tongue like German or French people.

In France or Germany there is a law that obliges to translate the games in their language that is nationalism therefore these countries protect their language

• Like 1

Bear in mind that Russian and Polish have a completely different alphabet and syntax to most Indo-European languages so I can imagine it would be a lot of effort and investment. That said, if it's done well I'm all for it.

You're probably thinking of Arab and Hebrew, or Chinese, Japanese, and so on.

Polish is written with Latin script, just like English, the Cyrillic alphabet used for Russian is a descendant of the Greek one, exactly as ours is, and both languages are Indoeuropean. :)

Edited by Varana
  • Like 2

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I'm a clairvoyant, LOL  :dancing:

New stretch goal for spanish localization, I hope the next will be italian, pretty please  :biggrin:

I hope so. Let's pray some God

I wouldn't pray to Eothas if I were you. I hear he's gotten grumpy these days.

• Like 2

I hope so. Let's pray some God

Ya, Magran help us ;-)

By the way, I've tried to ask some information for the IT localization directly to Feargus on Fig, here the message:

Hi Feargus, how are you? :D I'm happy to partecipate in this campain, I really loved PoE1 and I'm sure I will love PoE2:D when it comes out.
I'm not very good with english and I'm italian. If it's possible I would like to know if there will be a stretch goal for the italian localization in the future since PoE1 was also localized in italian.
Thanks a lot for all the hard work you are doing guys, I can't wait to play this amazing game.

Here the answer:

Doing well! Feeling a lot better. Caught some sort of plague last Friday (Jan 22) when I went up to IGN.
Glad to have you on the campaign, and glad you loved PoE1! Thanks for the support!

Sadly Fig has a function that hide part of the message if it's too long, like my message. So at first it show this:

Hi Feargus, how are you? :D I'm happy to partecipate in this campain, I really loved PoE1 and I'm sure I will love PoE2:D when it comes out.

SEE MORE

And so I think he didn't see the rest of my question, but I'll try again another time  :biggrin:

Edited by nifel87
  • Like 1

I just looked at PoE sales, it's like, more or less:

1-US

2-UK

3-GER

4-RUS

5-FRA

6-POL

7-SPA

8-ITA

So, if they are doing languages stretch goals by PoE sales (it would be reasonable), we should be next. 

This also explain why polish and russian before spanish.

I have to say we have bad tastes for games, if you look Italy sales charts there is always Call of Duty\Assassin creed\Fifa, this explains why those products are always fully localized and voice acted, while rpgs are not.

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 3

1-US

2-UK

3-GER

4-RUS

5-FRA

6-POL

7-SPA

8-ITA

So, if they are doing languages stretch goals by PoE sales (it would be reasonable), we should be next. 

That's a very good news  :dancing:

I have to say we have bad tastes for games, if you look Italy sales charts there is always Call of Duty\Assassin creed\Fifa, this explains why those products are always fully localized and voice acted, while rpgs are not.

I totally agree with you  :yes:

I'm really hoping they go for Chinese and Portuguese after they go through the usual language stretch goals.  PC gaming is popular in those countries, so a game can get better sales in those countries if people from that country can play the game in a language they can understand.

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

1-US

2-UK

3-GER

4-RUS

5-FRA

6-POL

7-SPA

8-ITA

Finger crossed.

I had the signed CED of PoE, and I was just thinking of increasing my pledge... :p

• Like 1

Bandit of the Obsidian Order
image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100
animaliacustici.tumblr.com

1-US

2-UK

3-GER

4-RUS

5-FRA

6-POL

7-SPA

8-ITA

As a Brit, seeing the UK up there actually reassures me, not because "we winning" or anything, but because quite often it feels like most people here are just into the latest iteration of Fifa/CoD/Assassin's Creed and that I'm like the only one buying these more niche games.  Glad to see the perception that we are all reality-TV loving, Coronation Street watching, tasteless mainstreamers isn't completely true. :dancing:

Is my elitism showing? :disguise:

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I totally agree with you  :yes:

I believe this is the case everywhere. Blockbusters sell more than smaller/indie products. In all entertainment types.