Localization thread - POE 2 LANGUAGES

Hi.

Pillars of eternity was translated in German, French, Spanish, Italian, Polish and Russian.

Unfortunately, for the moment it seems POE 2 will get only German and French localizations.

This thread is for all those players who played and enjoyed POE in their languages but they are facing the horror of having not the same chance for POE.

Post your opinions guys and show them how we care!!

• Like 2

I must say that i am more looking forward to english voice over, that would be big upgrade.

Also there was nice idea of bilingual text, so we can learn some language and slay a few dragons.

Also Spanish version would be nice, since there is enought walls to be build against them.

There could be some official tool helping fan translations for any language.

Portugalese, Hindu, Japan, China could be popular, not sure, what people there like.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

For the first game, all the localization were stretch goals (I think, French, German and Spanish were at least). If we get stretch goals (aka goes over 1.1m), we should see the other language popup.

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Greetings.

I am patiently waiting for someone to say an official response. It is quite obvious that a game of this type with lots of text, is not viable if the buyer does not understand the language of the game.

For now, they ignore other languages except those that are mandatory by law, French and German. (If they want to put on sale the game in France or Germany) The first choice instead of other languages, is a first stretch goal ( $1.4M) for sub-classes (two?)

We funded! Thank you so much everyone! We also revealed our first stretch goal - $1.4M for sub-classes. We will be getting an update out today (Friday) with more details from Josh Sawyer on what's so cool about sub-classes.

r9r190.jpg

Txibi.

I looked at the list of stretch goals used for PoE1 on kickstarter, and the german, french and spanish translations were added with the 2.2M $ stretch goal. Befor that there were other 4 stretch goals.

Some stretch goals for Italian, Spanish, Russian and Polish translation seems very plausible to me.  :yes:

By the way, +1 for Italian  :biggrin:

Edited by nifel87

More languages are added with each stretch goal (as was expected). Hopefully most Pillars 1 languages will be included when the campaign is over, so everyone's gonna be happy ;)

Although I don't understand the fuss around it :p

The problem is more evident  with a game like this, with such huge amount of text, even with those who know english.

Not a big deal with action games, but after 10 hours of work everyday, i wanna be relaxed when back at home  playing games and not alting+f4 every minute to find that word meaning on google.

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 1

More languages are added with each stretch goal (as was expected). Hopefully most Pillars 1 languages will be included when the campaign is over, so everyone's gonna be happy ;)

Although I don't understand the fuss around it :p

The problem is more evident  with a game like this, with such huge amount of text, even with those who know english.

Not a big deal with action games, but after 10 hours of work everyday, i wanna be relaxed when back at home  playing games and not alting+f4 every minute to find that word meaning on google.

I do understand that. But to be real, missing a word hardly holds you back from understanding a sentence and, tbh, you don't strike me as a person who alt+tabs frequently - your english level looks above what needed for a game even a heavy text game like this ;)

What I don't understand when people who, apparently, don't have any problem understanding english, is why, since you get the chance to read the ORIGINAL you'd choose a translation over it?

Anyway, whatever the case, I'm sure Italian will be in at the end and you'll enjoy wour game better, my good neighbour ;)

• Like 1

I can understand them translating the first two langauges because they're required, but I'll never understand why they bother translating for most of those languages when a lot of these Europeans know English.  There still refuse to do a Portuguese translation even though Brazil is starting to become one of the biggest PC gaming markets.

Even though I usually read novels, play games, and watch movies and videos in English and post on English-language forums:

Your native language comes to you with much less effort. You understand things instantly, you don't have to gloss over unknown words, and so on. In a foreign language, it takes some work.

Now, in games like PoE that are heavy on language, I tend to prefer English (if that's the original language). But for others, it might be the opposite.

Sure, you don't need to look up every unknown word. But often, the word you're missing is quite important for the meaning - "She looked at me, tarrobribobulously, and pointed at a capavan high in the tree." Now, I can gloss over these things - she gives the protagonist a funny look and points to a thing, probably some kind of bird, and if it's important, we'll probably find out both things later on, but it's annoying, it takes you out of the flow of reading, and it requires effort. If that happens too often, it's tedious. :)

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Greetings.

29px4rq.jpg

They have their strategy and I have mine. If I do not understand the language of the game, I do not buy it for now. I'll wait for it to be confirmed in Spanish. And then I'll wait for a couple of street goals, just in case. After all, the situation is different from the first Pillars of Eternity. They do not need my money to make a good game and I do not need a game in a language I do not understand.

Txibi.

• Like 1

They have their strategy and I have mine. If I do not understand the language of the game, I do not buy it for now. I'll wait for it to be confirmed in Spanish.

(...)

I do not need a game in a language I do not understand.

I'm sorry, I do not understand *you*.

Could someone translate what this poor chap is saying? It can't be English, because I have a feeling he doesn't understand it.

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 3

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

My spider senses are tingling...

I think that If we reach $1.8M, there will be other two stretch goals like: "$2.0M something + spanish" and "$2.2M something + italian"  :blink:

I hope it reaches $ 2.2M, I'm Italian  :biggrin:

That sounds as good strategy. cRPG is so much easier if in familiar language.

It is quite interesting which markets (languages) are promising, is Italian? What about Portugalese (Brazil is growing market). Would Deadfire have enought tentacles for Japansese taste? And so on. Interesting issue.