Its like people without cc are second class.

Welcome to America. ;)

I agree - you would've thought that people would look to include non-CC options from the start after their first large campaign; this comes up every time.

OTOH:

PayPal has some restrictions and additional fees attached to it that make it a lot harder to use it for crowdfunding. If you can read German, here's a blog post from a German crowdfunding site about why they gave up on PayPal:

https://www.startnext.com/blog/Blog-Detailseite/b/Warum-wir-PayPal-als-Bezahlmethode-abschalten-803

(In short:

You have to have a verified PayPal account as a project creator, as well.

The payment is reserved for when the campaign ends but without guarantee that the account still exists, has enough (or any) money in it to actually pay, or anything like that.

There are tight limits on how much you may pledge and how often, how much you may include as a reward, and how many campaigns you may run at the same time.

No crowd investment, like what Fig does.

Also, there's a substantial cut that PayPal takes as a fee.)

That article is from 2014, so maybe some things changed, but it's not that blame lies only with crowdfunding platforms, here. PayPal, for some reason, decided to be somewhat bitchy about the process.

Also, payments via PayPal are consistently a lot less in all games I've seen numbers for. That may well be a chicken-egg issue (not having PayPal as an option leads to fewer people using it), but adding it in my experience doesn't change the outcome substantially, and might very well not be worth the hassle in the first days of setting up the campaign.

Edited by Varana

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Doesn't change the fact that pledges made with PayPal were supported back in 2012 during the Project Eternity kickstarter campaign.

So why not do the same but this time right from the start or at least from the moment on the funding goal has been reached?

Wasteland 3's figstarter campaign did it this way using a third party solution called crowdOX that, iirc, even fed its data (pledged amount, backer numbers) back into fig for real-time updates.

Doesn't change the fact that pledges made with PayPal were supported back in 2012 during the Project Eternity kickstarter campaign.

So why not do the same but this time right from the start or at least from the moment on the funding goal has been reached?

Wasteland 3's figstarter campaign did it this way using a third party solution called crowdOX that, iirc, even fed its data (pledged amount, backer numbers) back into fig for real-time updates.

They were not supported until very late in the original KS campaign for pretty much the exact same reasons discussed in this thread. This is a problem Paypal are essentially choosing to create, and not something solely on Fig or Obsidian. It's obviously better for pretty much everyone involved for people to not go via Paypal where possible, so I see no problem with them holding adding Paypal back until very late. 

I don't know enough about CrowdOx to comment on it, but it seems to have seen limited use so far, so I suspect it does have its downsides.

• Like 1

Not only aren't there options other than CC, but my (dutch, mastercard certified) credit card gets declined by fig.. While it works just fine for overseas amazon etc. What up with that.

They use stripe as their payment processor. When KS moved to use it I had problems to get it accept my visa certified credit card.

Hello,

first of all: i got PoE as a present one or two weeks ago and there are two reasons why i created this account:

1)
I just want to praise the whole Dev Team of PoE.
The Graphics are stunning, the music is magnificent, the gameplay is a bliss, the story is incredibly good and captivating, and the world is created with love and care.
You all, the managers, story writers, designers, musicians, voice actors and programmers (and all the other positions i didn't mention) did an awesome job.
Pillars of Eternity is the first game, that is worth playing it since Freelancer, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.
I am aware that i am not the only one praising it, but i just wanted you to know, that you made me very happy and i enjoy every minute with your game.

2)
​My question regarding the Topic:
Is there any way to fund or pre-sell PoE2 with PayPal? (I really want that Premium Digital Edition!)
Using my credit card makes me feel very uncomfortable, because i don't trust it and i despise paying with it.
Yeah i know, that sounds ridiculous. But it's not common in germany to pay with your credit card,
germans prefer paying in cash and it took me almost three years to get used to this PayPal-thingy.

Best Regards
Zeuge der Unity

Hello,

first of all: i got PoE as a present one or two weeks ago and there are two reasons why i created this account:

1)

I just want to praise the whole Dev Team of PoE.

The Graphics are stunning, the music is magnificent, the gameplay is a bliss, the story is incredibly good and captivating, and the world is created with love and care.

You all, the managers, story writers, designers, musicians, voice actors and programmers (and all the other positions i didn't mention) did an awesome job.

Pillars of Eternity is the first game, that is worth playing it since Freelancer, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

I am aware that i am not the only one praising it, but i just wanted you to know, that you made me very happy and i enjoy every minute with your game.

2)
​My question regarding the Topic:

Is there any way to fund or pre-sell PoE2 with PayPal? (I really want that Premium Digital Edition!)

Using my credit card makes me feel very uncomfortable, because i don't trust it and i despise paying with it.

Yeah i know, that sounds ridiculous. But it's not common in germany to pay with your credit card,

germans prefer paying in cash and it took me almost three years to get used to this PayPal-thingy.

Best Regards

Zeuge der Unity

According to Aarik D or the FAQ section on fig PayPal is something they're looking into. No word on how long this is going to take and when it's going live though.

Hey all you lovely adventurers! 

I know you are all eager to get some awesome loots, so we are currently looking into other options right now. 

Thanks a bunch! 

"When will we have access to PayPal?

We are currently looking into how we can offer PayPal to our backers and will have more information on that at a later time."

Edited by Hemmer

I had no internet for a week, now i come back and there is still no paypal option LOL ! And NO info.

But i guess "they're currently looking into it"

Lets be crazy and say that i wanted some of the higher tiers like the 2k, 5k, ones...yeah no, because they are gone.

And even if not, its just ridiculous.

wow just wow

Thanks for your quick respose Hemmer, i've allready read the FAQ and Akari D's answers and should have mentioned that in my first post, sorry about that.

To be honest: These vague "later time" answers without any precise timespan and explanation are driving me even more crazy. Sorry if this "driving me crazy" seems inpolite, but various team-projects at my Fachhochschule taugth me to love timetables, workflow controll and backup plans. (Even my housework is managed with kanban)

Because important questions (for me) like:

When they don't manage it in time, is there a backup plan? (Like: pre-selling etc.)

Will there be something like a "PayPal is possible now" notification service? (I don't want to check every day if there is a PayPal support.)

remain unanswered.

Edited by Zeuge der Unity

I believe that inXile used CrowdOx to enable PayPal for their Wasteland 3 campaign on Fig. I think there's an extra fee to Obsidian for allowing PayPal though, so I'd expect them to make that option available toward the end of their campaign.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Feargus stated on Fig that the Paypal option should be up by Wednesday in the backer portal.

• Like 5

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Feargus stated on Fig that the Paypal option should be up by Wednesday in the backer portal.

Would you mind linking the source for that?

I don't think I can link to it, but here's a copy of the posts:

AndreaColombo

@Feargus - Any news on Paypal backing? I get the impression a fair number of people are waiting on it to back the game and we need their help to get more juicy stretch goals :)

Feargus
DEVELOPER

Hey AndreaColombo - Very soon, Wednesday at the latest. We needed to skin and update our backer portal site. Darren and Devin have burning the midnight oil on it.

Feb 4, 2017 | 09:35 AM
  • Like 2

212% fundet and 2 weeks later still NO paypal. Thanks obsidian, great work and great information you give us.

If it wasnt for the fans posting some Feargus comment that he postet in the Fig comment section we would still know s**t.

But i guess obsidian says if these peasants want information let them read the 5k comments on fig. They didnt even bothered updating the FAQ.

I wish i dont love this game, otherwise in every other case after all that fail you would see 0$ from me.

But i think you know that and the fact that you are already fundet lets you care even less about all the peopla that want paypal.

• Like 1