Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Technical plans for Pillars of Eternity II (engine and etc.)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

TheRealDrMcCoy

TheRealDrMcCoy

Undead Tinkerer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Just got a response:

Thanks for asking! :)

Feargus [developer]

[Unity 5.4] - We've moved up to Unity 5.4, plus we are using Wwise engine for Pillars II - not sure if that has to work in conjunction with FMOD.

Ah, okay, Wwise. Hmmkay.

(

As for the second part of that sentence: no, it does not. Wwise does exactly the same conceptually as FMOD (they're direct competitors), they usually don't have to work in conjuction. Or rather, it usally even makes no sense whatsoever to use both of them.

Going for the common car analogy: think of one as a diesel engine, one as a gasoline engine. They both do the same thing, burning fuel to provide motion (*). There's some subtle differences, but unless you build a car (and ignoring filling up the tank), you don't need to know about it. Both are valid options. And it usually makes no sense to have a car with both engines.

(*) Or in this case, providing audio with some light scripting capabilities and filter chains. Multiple sounds are grouped in banks that can be loaded/unloaded as a group, there's "events" that play a number of sounds, with effects applied and states that can change what is done on which event. Both FMOD and Wwise do that, as far as I know.

)

Let's just hope that the Linux version of Wwise isn't as bad as FMOD. Middleware is commonly a sore point for porting, with uncommon official ports of middleware often rather bad and buggy.

Edited by TheRealDrMcCoy, 29 January 2017 - 03:03 PM.

shmerl

shmerl

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

@TheRealDrMcCoy: Wwise seems like mess when you are trying to extract audio from the game. As you said, it's using banks (see an example here). How did games manage in the past not to complicate things and use simple audio files?

Though Wwise seems to work OK on Linux. Check the same System Shock demo that I was talking about in the link above.

Edited by shmerl, 29 January 2017 - 11:31 PM.

TheRealDrMcCoy

TheRealDrMcCoy

Undead Tinkerer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 42 posts

@TheRealDrMcCoy: Wwise seems like mess when you are trying to extract audio from the game. As you said, it's using banks (see an example here).

Well, so does FMOD, .fsb files (fmod sound bank, I guess). There are FLOSS extractors for both FMOD and Wwise sound banks. Wwise's ones are a bit more complicated, I think, because they do something weird with the Ogg Stream inside their banks, while FMOD is a bit more straight-forward (except they use non-standard codec value in the RIFF headers for ADPCM'd files).

Or at least that's what happened in FMOD/Wwise in Dragon Age: Origins (FMOD) and Dragon Age II (Wwise). Might be later versions of FMOD/Wwise change that, dunno.

shmerl

shmerl

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There are FLOSS extractors for both FMOD and Wwise sound banks. Wwise's ones are a bit more complicated, I think, because they do something weird with the Ogg Stream inside their banks, while FMOD is a bit more straight-forward (except they use non-standard codec value in the RIFF headers for ADPCM'd files).

I used this one for Wwise: https://github.com/eXpl0it3r/bnkextr

But resulted file also required re-encoding, since it wasn't a regular WAV, but also unusually encoded raw RIFF. sox helps for that. See an example here.

Edited by shmerl, 31 January 2017 - 03:12 PM.

Xaratas

Xaratas

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 901 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

So the sound is again somewhere packed tight? No easy modding? No „easy“ Community voice over?

https://gist.githubu...dc26f/squish.py <-- at least there is a community way …

Faalagorn

Faalagorn

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

I just checked on a break wife had playing, it's 5.6.3p3 and updated PCGW and it seems to be 64-bit only (at least on Linux). Since it's 5.6+, someone can check the -force-vulkan command to see if Vulkan is enabled, so I don't have to interrupt my wife's play :). If not, I'll update if it works later.

shmerl

shmerl

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It crashes with -force-vulkan.

• Faalagorn likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users