Is Paradox Publishing this as well?

Would love to get a PoEII badge to go along with my POE one on the Paradox forums. :)

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

From FIG comments...

Obsidian E.

DEVELOPER
We are definitely talking with Paradox. The one thing we are thinking about is becoming more of a publisher ourselves, the way CD Projekt as evolved over the years, which I've been really impressed with. So, that means we might self-publish Deadfire, or play more of a role in publishing it.

Wait, what? 

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Obsidian E.

DEVELOPER

We are definitely talking with Paradox. The one thing we are thinking about is becoming more of a publisher ourselves, the way CD Projekt as evolved over the years, which I've been really impressed with. So, that means we might self-publish Deadfire, or play more of a role in publishing it.

Wait, what? 

Didn't CD Projekt start as a publisher and then become developer?  So the other way round basically?  On that note, I can't remember does Larian self-publish too?

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Obsidian E.

DEVELOPER

Wait, what? 

Didn't CD Projekt start as a publisher and then become developer?  So the other way round basically?  On that note, I can't remember does Larian self-publish too?

Nope CD Projekt red is a developer before a publisher,their first game was published by Atari if i am not mistaken.Larian are self published.I hope that Obsidian goes that way,Paradox have some ****ty DLC practices and are very lazy.

• Like 1

They may need some assistance overseas for distribution purposes but If Obsidian can become more independent and self-sustaining in their projects, I'm all for it.

• Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Nope CD Projekt red is a developer before a publisher,their first game was published by Atari if i am not mistaken.Larian are self published.I hope that Obsidian goes that way,Paradox have some ****ty DLC practices and are very lazy.

That's just outright false. Their DLC practices are the best in the industry.

• Like 3

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

That's just outright false. Their DLC practices are the best in the industry.

And here we go.

Nope CD Projekt red is a developer before a publisher,their first game was published by Atari if i am not mistaken

CD Projekt started as a video game import company in Poland, also doing localisation jobs for Polish people. Their love for CRPGs like Baldur's Gate motivated them back in the time because these games were not available in Poland. CD Projekt Red was founded at a later date with the goal to turn the Polish Witcher novels into video games. And yes, Witcher 1 was published by Atari although the Witcher license always belonged to CD Projekt, not to Atari.

Larian are self published.

That's not entirely correct. The console versions of DOS:EE were at least partially published and distributed by Focus. But Larian still held all the rights to the IP. Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 2
35167v4.jpg

Obsidian E.

DEVELOPER

Wait, what? 

CD Red started as a Polish publisher (publishing games in Poland). Then they started GoG, they got money from there and developed the Witcher.

From FIG comments...

Obsidian E.

DEVELOPER

Wait, what?

First thing that came to my mind was 3dfx and their Voodoo cards. Sometimes doing everything by yourself isn't such a good idea.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Obsidian? A publisher? Well, I never...

Just kidding. They'll do just fine. This is 2017, after all - all the technology and marketing assets are right there at most of our fingertips.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Obsidian E.

DEVELOPER

Wait, what? 

CD Red started as a Polish publisher (publishing games in Poland). Then they started GoG, they got money from there and developed the Witcher.

GOG (2008) came after The Witcher 1 (2007).

• Like 2

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Just kidding. They'll do just fine. This is 2017, after all - all the technology and marketing assets are right there at most of our fingertips.

Yup, most games these days are digital only and Obsidian does have a lot of contacts in the gaming media which is always good when trying to market a game. If your game doesn't get any coverage it will just drown in the dozens of other crpgs published on Steam and this is where Obsidian might help out smaller developers.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

Yup, most games these days are digital only and Obsidian does have a lot of contacts in the gaming media which is always good when trying to market a game. If your game doesn't get any coverage it will just drown in the dozens of other crpgs published on Steam and this is where Obsidian might help out smaller developers.

Well kickstarter is a nice marketing strategy.To be honest crpg genre doesn't need a lot of marketing,it is pretty tight community and most people outside of it don't care.Once you play some good crpg you are either hooked or you don't care and won't buy any like it.I still replay my first rpg(Might and Magic VI) every year.

• Like 1

Well kickstarter is a nice marketing strategy.To be honest crpg genre doesn't need a lot of marketing,it is pretty tight community and most people outside of it don't care.Once you play some good crpg you are either hooked or you don't care and won't buy any like it.I still replay my first rpg(Might and Magic VI) every year.

They can't just Kickstart everything if they go into publisher role as well. While the crpg community is tight, in order for the games to actually break out as hits you need marketing and exposure to bigger and broader audience than the crpg communities on the Internet. If you can't get your games reviewed by larger sites and magazines, you will be selling to the same small audience everyone else is selling to as well.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

"More of a publisher" doesn't necessarily mean they'll be doing everything.  Publishers have a lot of roles-- for example, funding production costs, oversight on production processes, securing IP rights, marketing, production and distribution of physical goods, interacting with digital distribution channels, QA, localization and other international distribution issues.  With a crowdfunded title, an independent developer has already taken on a few of those roles for themselves.  Obsidian contracted with Paradox to do the rest for them, but their responsibilities were a good deal smaller than in the traditional publisher-developer relationship.  Feargus is probably thinking incrementally about how they can shrink that role a little further (and keep more of the revenue in-house). 

(Also, making statements like this might help the company's negotiating leverage in trying to get the best deal possible with Paradox or whoever.)

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

If they can succeed at that, and become more autonomous, they could really do some interesting things. I've secured my copy, and wish them great luck. CDPR has the benefit of GoG, though. It won't be all fun and games.

Do they even have the kind of financial ability they'd need to be a publisher?  Isn't being a publisher a lot more demanding, in terms of up-front capital for projects?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If they can succeed at that, and become more autonomous, they could really do some interesting things. I've secured my copy, and wish them great luck. CDPR has the benefit of GoG, though. It won't be all fun and games.

Do they even have the kind of financial ability they'd need to be a publisher?  Isn't being a publisher a lot more demanding, in terms of up-front capital for projects?

I don't know if they have the power to publish other developer's games, but they could become autonomous.

PoE did well enough, and if they keep that trend with PoE2 then they could use some of the extra cash from both titles to mostly fund whatever Cain and Boyarsky are up to. If they can do that, and that other project is a more AAA experience, does well on PC, and gets ported to consoles... then yeah, I think they can. Right now they need to use PoE2 to get experience publishing it themselves, and maybe have another crowdfunding title down the road to get the ball rolling.

Eventually they could get profitable enough to fund smaller indie RPGs and the like. Who knows? It's hard to guess without solid sales data on PoE1 and I'm not sure how Tyranny did either.

• Like 1