Plea to Obsidian - please let us buy PoE2 through your backer portal

Guest Blutwurstritter

I would appreciate the option to back the game on Kickstarter for similiar reasons as Darthturk.

I would like to be able to back on the backersite aswell, already have a kickstarter and indiegogo account, really cant be bothered with a third one for the same thing. Same reason i didnt back Wasteland 3.

1M?!

Even more than I expected then.

@Aarik D or any other Obsidian representative:

ETA on an alternative (PayPal) to pledging through fig?

Pretty sure there are many Yurp-folks that want to chip in again.

Would appreciate the PayPal option too.

And yes, CCs still aren't that common in a few places including Europe, in case you were wondering.

Could anyone ask the question for PayPal support in the fig comment section, please?

Thanks in advance.

Asked. I'll let you know if/when I see an answer. You can also PM someone from Obsidian to ask directly. 

Thanks, Aarik D already got back to AndreaColombo who just confirmed that they're looking into it.

A few years after the PoE-Kickstarter: most Europeans still don't have a credit card. No credit card -> no Stripe -> no Fig -> no signed collectors edition.

Most Europeans? Where the **** do you people live or is this more of a age issue?

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

I watched that supposedly "critical" youtube vid about KS/Fig and it is filled with contradictions, just some guy that likes to hear himself talk and feel "smart" doing it.

Stating something is "shady" without any proof or good argumentation IS shady. I really don't care how they fund their game, they showed with Pillars that they can deliver what they promised. In the "traditional" publisher model you don't even get to learn about games before certain progress has been made. All KS did is making fans feel even more entitled and whiny because "I payed for this game" which usually means: "I don't have a clue what I really did"

• Like 1

I watched that supposedly "critical" youtube vid about KS/Fig and it is filled with contradictions, just some guy that likes to hear himself talk and feel "smart" doing it.

Stating something is "shady" without any proof or good argumentation IS shady. I really don't care how they fund their game, they showed with Pillars that they can deliver what they promised. In the "traditional" publisher model you don't even get to learn about games before certain progress has been made. All KS did is making fans feel even more entitled and whiny because "I payed for this game" which usually means: "I don't have a clue what I really did"

Yeah, that video is pretty terrible.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Does anyone have any numbers on fig membership, cause it doesnt really seem that great for the game. Like Wasteland 2 on kickstarter got $2,933,252 from 61290 backers, and Wasteland 3 did get more Money on fig with $3,121,716 but only had 17,707Backers. Just doesnt really seem that great they "lost" that many people.

Edit: Actually looking at the Wasteland 3 they only got $871K in plegdes, rest was that fig Money which i guess is still a kind of pledge?

Edited by Darthturk

Wasteland 2 was also the second major kickstarter in the pipe, which meant it got a lot of hype pledges.  More importantly, Wasteland 2 pledges were less than half the price of Wasteland 3 pledges.  Kickstarter and the like may soon turn to crowd milking machines.

Not to mention InXile already had two games they Kickstarted being worked on, Wasteland 3 being the 3rd one. So... no wonder they lost many backers. They should have at least waited until Torment ships before asking for more, though it still worked out well enough for them.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

Crowdfunding is a way for companies to get money in advance from overhyped nerds, such as ourselves, and not risk their own. It's a buisiness model that works mostly for them tbh. We just buy a product we migh as well bought if it was made the classic way.

Crowdfunding platforms know that and sell it as grass-root bullsheet, more ethical, "we  do things together" and other fancy stuff.

This is even more real in board gaming - I got a chance to get involved lately as a designer and saw it a bit from a closer view :p

The geek industry has found their golden egg laying hen. For the moment at least.

That all been said, if you're about to back/buy a game, I don't see why you should care about what platform the company uses.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 2

Crowdfunding is a way for companies to get money in advance from overhyped nerds, such as ourselves, and not risk their own. It's a buisiness model that works mostly for them tbh. We just buy a product we migh as well bought if it was made the classic way.

Crowdfunding platforms know that and sell it as grass-root bullsheet, more ethical, "we  do things together" and other fancy stuff.

This is even more real in board gaming - I got a chance to get involved lately as a designer and saw it a bit from a closer view :p

The geek industry has found their golden egg laying hen. For the moment at least.

That all been said, if you're about to back/buy a game, I don't see why you should care about what platform the company uses.

Yep, this.  You can get the game at a decent price and have the money go into development of said game, just don't go overboard with all the rewards.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Pity though, about Tim Schafer being involved with Fig. That really puts me off the whole thing. Wish I had known before I pledged... I'd probably have thought twice about it.Doesn't say much about Feargus's integrity to be in business with gamersgate.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Pity though, about Tim Schafer being involved with Fig. That really puts me off the whole thing. Wish I had known before I pledged... I'd probably have thought twice about it.Doesn't say much about Feargus's integrity to be in business with gamersgate.

As I understand it, Feargus and Schafer are members of the advisory board (with Brian Fargo, Alex Rigopulos and Aaron Isaksen). I'm not sure what ties any of them have with the actual running of the business.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As I understand it, Feargus and Schafer are members of the advisory board (with Brian Fargo, Alex Rigopulos and Aaron Isaksen). I'm not sure what ties any of them have with the actual running of the business.

That could very well be the case, however guilt by association is a bitch...

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

Have to say I kinda understand why people don't want to support anything  where Tim Shafer has his say.

On the other hand I absolutely love Obsidian folks and think only the best about Feargus Urquhart so it leaves me at stalemate because I would really want to support one and at the same time don't support the other.

Edited by Mich-666
  • Like 1

Yeah, that's my problem exactly.

Lord of Light

For those who have problems pledging via Fig, the game is already funded so at least will have the extra languages and the multiclassing. It would have been out even if not funded anyway, but that's another matter.

So, you can wait for a paypal pledge,  if Obs decides to allow, or just buy the game when it's out. Noneed to make a big deal of it imo.

• Like 2