Confirmed: Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The reasoning may be that more combat complexity (perhaps due to higher levels) is improved by fewer party members. Something like that.

I'm tremendously upset on this TBH. I don't think this is the real issue. I mean if BG2 don't have such issues, it shouldn't have with PoE2. If it does it probably means the rule system is kinda simplified or shallow. Shrinking it to 5 will never resembles the nostalgic feeling of old cRPG games for me personally. BG2 has multi-class too so i don't think that's the issue at all. I think they wanted 4 just like Tyranny. But this will even make people more upset so they up it to 5. The only logical reason i can think of.. could it be difficult make it works for controllers?

I think mostly with the controllers you probably be just playing with 1 character and the rest with customisable AI? You only need to pause only on very tough battles. Basically in Dragon Age Inquisition, you can play a party based character without even pause. Just hack, hack, hack and spam spell/abilities with just focusing with 1 character. Also it could be a hassle to switch to more characters with limited buttons on a controller?. And if that's not the case then with more party characters i think it'll take up space too on the screen if playing with a big TV. So having less characters could actually help on big screen, IMO.

Edited by Archaven
  • Like 1

I cant wait for the game already, backed up 20 secs into the trailer  :dancing:

I hope they hurry up with the stretch goals since we are going to hit 100% today (or tommorow the latest)

I can't wait for it too. Actually if all the original backers came back.. then it'll be just great :)

One of my wish for Pillars is a customisation for spells.

Like Tyranny but with eventually less possibilities to maintain the general congruence of spell (plus, because there is naturally more basic/nominative spells in pillars)

A sort of mini-custom with two possibilities (=2 accents ~ ?), while maintaining the general essence of spells. Spells which had more personality in Pillars.

In terms of party size, I'm not sure the comparison to BG2 is entirely fair--and I've got mixed feelings about the change myself.

POE is an IE-inspired game and, as such, is expected to allow 6-character parties.

However, POE also admittedly featured many more active abilities for most classes than AD&D, and running a full party of 6 could be quite micro-intensive; more so than BG, imo.

Granted, party A.I. could alleviate it to an extent, but it will never be a proper replacement for player input and will never sport the same degree of tactical complexity. Also, I guess most people who play this game aren't big on the game's playing itself ;)

So yeah, I liked the 6 figure but I understand why they would wanna reduce it. We'll see how it plays out in-game.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I dont like 4 party since that gives : frontline, main dps, support and... im done.

Any spot which i can dedicate to control, bruiser, or companion i simply like is good.

From the other side big parties mean more complicated fights, rise in power of aoe, pathfinding issues.

Ok give 5 part a try.

Personally I am totally down with 5 person squads. Was skeptical on Tyranny's 4 people, but I felt it really tightened up combat, especially given (As mentioned just above) the fact that party members have a great deal more options than in the Baldur's Gate games. Apart from spellcasting classes, I don't think there was a great deal of options for the rest of the party in BG apart from 'which weapon to use'. Whereas in PoE and Tyranny, every class has usable skills.

Just crossed the $1 million mark. $550,000 from backer pledges. $450,000 from Fig Funds. About 9,300 backers total so far. 

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Squid-mermaids? Why does that give me nightmares?

Lovecraft?

Oh god, its worse than that: with the tentacles it becomes Lovecraftian Hentai! :aiee:

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

The reasoning may be that more combat complexity (perhaps due to higher levels) is improved by fewer party members. Something like that.

I'm tremendously upset on this TBH. I don't think this is the real issue. I mean if BG2 don't have such issues, it shouldn't have with PoE2. If it does it probably means the rule system is kinda simplified or shallow. Shrinking it to 5 will never resembles the nostalgic feeling of old cRPG games for me personally. BG2 has multi-class too so i don't think that's the issue at all. I think they wanted 4 just like Tyranny. But this will even make people more upset so they up it to 5. The only logical reason i can think of.. could it be difficult make it works for controllers?

I think mostly with the controllers you probably be just playing with 1 character and the rest with customisable AI? You only need to pause only on very tough battles. Basically in Dragon Age Inquisition, you can play a party based character without even pause. Just hack, hack, hack and spam spell/abilities with just focusing with 1 character. Also it could be a hassle to switch to more characters with limited buttons on a controller?. And if that's not the case then with more party characters i think it'll take up space too on the screen if playing with a big TV. So having less characters could actually help on big screen, IMO.

I don't think the analogy with BG2 is a very good one. If you look at how combat plays out in BG2 and in PoE, it's strikingly different. The main reason for this is that so much less was going on in BG2, you had so much fewer options. That's because with everyone except for magic users, the orders you could give basically boiled down to 'walk over there, whack that thing'. You can still build a fighter more or less that way in PoE, but even there you most likely will have knockdown or some other ability, and two or more stances that require some micro-management. Every other character requires just so much more micro-management compared to BG2, its often really hard not to lose control (or you have to be really patient, pausing and issuing orders more or less every second which really impedes the flow of combat). I think that's what they're trying to address by the party size reduction. I'm not very happy about it either tbh but I kinda get it, it's an issue that needs to be addressed. There are a few other things that they could do and seem to want to do. Better AI that allows for more detailed customized scripting is one thing, and I'm happy that they made it a stretch goal. An ability to queue up actions would be another thing I'd like to see. But at the end of the day, one thing they have to be doing, I think, is to reduce the sheer number of things that are going on at the same time in combat. There really are only two options for that as far as I can see. Reduce party size (and with it numbers of enemies) or reduce options of things each character can do, make some character much more passive. Out of those two, I think reducing party size by one is the better option.

There is one thing I hope they do this time.  While I was initially against respecs in the game during development, once I played the game and saw the degree of choices you make with levelling up and the lack of knowledge of users of the system (unlike D&D which many people had prior experience of via tabletop), I reluctantly came to the realisation that it was needed and, most importantly for me, fit within the lore of the game when it came to respecing class abilities especially due to the soul thing the game had going.  It just needs one refinement: make respecs occur via Animancers.  You could treat it as going to your local Animancer for a tune-up, redirecting soul flows and being electrocuted in cages to forget abilities and learn new ones!  Maybe even allow for buffs or debuffs due to the skill of the animancer doing the tune-up, incompetent animancers apply temporary debuffs as your character is traumatised by the procedure while competent ones actually make you feel good for a time!

Just a thought.

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Found this book in my inventory ... wonder if they'll keep these monsters!

df1_zps1mzwjpwh.jpg

Also rediscovered that on my new playthrough... it is also interesting to read the books on eothas :)

It is immoral that a mattress should have so much power […] glory to the mattress which nullifies a cannon

Religion?  Metaphysics?  Please tell me those are actual skills they are implementing and not just random words he's throwing out.  :w00t:

• Like 1

There's an optional "Extra Beta Access" we can apply to our Pledges. What does this mean? Say I already pledged for a package with beta access what do I get if I get extra beta access?

It means you get all the betaness!  Nah, I have no clue sorry.

• Like 1