Confirmed: Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

How is Aloth alive? He kept slipping into a pool of blood in my games *coughs*

Anyway, the fact I only really like Eder out of the returning companion is fine with me, since it means I'll play more with the new ones :)

That blue Orlan looks pretty damn neat.

I wonder how the transition between the games is going to work.

Mostly, I'm not sure I want to play the same classes I did in PoE, so wondering if you start a new character, if it's possible to decide what were your choice in the first game.

✔ Certified Bat Food

Ok, backed. Looks like everything will be improved in the sequel. A few questions though:

-Will there be pets and will they have stats bonuses this time?

Pets are one of the backer rewards, so they will definitely are still a thing.

Not sure about stat bonuses though.

How is Aloth alive? He kept slipping into a pool of blood in my games *coughs*

Obsidian said that if someone died in your playthrough, they will definitely not be returning in the sequel. So if you import your save, Aloth won't be a possible companion. Instead he will be a bloody puddle in some dungeon.

Ok, backed. Looks like everything will be improved in the sequel. A few questions though:

-Will there be pets and will they have stats bonuses this time?

Pets are one of the backer rewards, so they will definitely are still a thing.

Not sure about stat bonuses though.

• Like 1

Can someone clear something out for me? Wh... why do people buy the boxed edition in the first place? It doesn't come with any digital format (is that correct?).

If I remember correctly, for the first Kickstarter campaign, there was a free digital download for every boxed edition only because the game's release got delayed or something. And thank God it did, because today I play only through my digital copy, as the boxed one got almost no support post-release (where do we download the patches? is the last update available at all?). Also, the expansion didn't come out in any retail version, so if we only got a single boxed copy in the first place, we simply wouldn't be able to play the expansion.

Doesn't the boxed copy run on GOG/Steam just as well as the digital copy? It's just that you get physical box with the game instead of just an another game in your endless Steam library

Hate the living, love the dead.

So excited! I just pledged for $99.

I missed the first crowdfunding for PoE1, so I'm super happy to be able to back this one.

I am a little shocked Obsidian turned to crowd funding again, as I assumed the world, lore, game engine was already built. Anyway, I'm happy to support Obsidian and thank them for making the games I love the most.

Cheers to you guys!!!

I think Obsidian is an honest partner.

A game like this without editor need a lot of money. Read different interviews = the company is not rich.... It's difficult.

So, I will pay easily 29$ (the game is include guys...) for help the company.

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 1

So excited! I just pledged for $99.

I missed the first crowdfunding for PoE1, so I'm super happy to be able to back this one.

I am a little shocked Obsidian turned to crowd funding again, as I assumed the world, lore, game engine was already built. Anyway, I'm happy to support Obsidian and thank them for making the games I love the most.

Cheers to you guys!!!

They get much more marketing by going KS/Fig than doing everything on their own, and by marketing I mean free marketing and publicity which I think is pretty crucial considering that they don't have a big publisher releasing the game and spending endless amounts of time and money on marketing campaign.

They have wisely chosen... well, the more righteous path of creating much of the content already with the money they made from the original game, instead of just asking for every dollar again from the backers. Backer money gives them more financial security to work on the game as well as the huge marketing boost they get from the whole campaign.

• Like 2

Hate the living, love the dead.

I pledged at the $45 level, considering investing as well but need to think about it. I assume the game will be profitable, just really unclear as to what the expected return on investment would be. It is really cool that Obsidian is giving us the option to invest though.

$500 - Name a Pet!

Limited! 8 of 100 claimed.

If this is all claimed, Obsidian is going to make 100 pets?!

Kinda makes you wish you could form a 'pet army' doesn't it? :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

$500 - Name a Pet!

Not 100 pets but 100 "names", right? So probably a pool of species to choose from and slap a name on one?

$500 - Name a Pet!

Not 100 pets but 100 "names", right? So probably a pool of species to choose from and slap a name on one?

Right, dog, cat or pig.

But 100 people naming 100 dog, cat, pig pets means 100 dog, cat, pig pets.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sounds like Josh is taking on a lead writer-like role:

"Given that Carrie Patel is titled only "Narrative Designer", who is the Narrative Lead now that Eric Fenstermaker is gone?"

Feargus:

HI Eschalion - let's see, Carrie Patel is one of the main writers, Josh is the Game Director and in charge of the narrative, Bobby Null is the Lead Designer (he was the Lead Area Designer on Eternity), Dimitri Berman is the Lead Character Artist (he was that on Eternity 1), Sean Dunny is the Lead Environment Artist (he was that on the Eternity expansion), Jorge Salgado and Jeff Huseges are area designers as they were on Eternity 1... One of the new additions to the team has been Dave Williams, if you do a search you'll find out he was the creator of Legend of the Five Rings. He's been able to offload a lot of the system design stuff from Josh.

Right, dog, cat or pig.

But 100 people naming 100 dog, cat, pig pets means 100 dog, cat, pig pets.

Do you know, how does the "investor" get their named animal? Meaning, John invests $500 and names a pig "Gfted1". Is that pig present only in John's game or every copy of PoE2 sold will contain pig Gfted1? Can anyone get Gfted1, and John is only paying for the naming rights? No exclusivity to John?

Do you know, how does the "investor" get their named animal? Meaning, John invests $500 and names a pig "Gfted1". Is that pig present only in John's game or every copy of PoE2 sold will contain pig Gfted1? Can anyone get Gfted1, and John is only paying for the naming rights? No exclusivity to John?

Have they ever limited content to the person who created it?  Seems that the appeal of pledging at a creation tier is creating something in the game for everyone.

• Like 1

Doesn't the boxed copy run on GOG/Steam just as well as the digital copy? It's just that you get physical box with the game instead of just an another game in your endless Steam library

The boxed copy of the Kickstarter campaign was actually DRM-free, not linked with Steam nor GOG.

There is no hint if the Physical Box reaward for the Fig campaign is DRM-free or linked with Steam or GOG. They probably don't know yet.

Have they ever limited content to the person who created it?  Seems that the appeal of pledging at a creation tier is creating something in the game for everyone.

Dunno, I didn't play, but I take it from your tone that the answer is non-exclusivity.

I don't know the answer either, I haven't played every Kickstarter that's been done. I don't recall any of the PoE stuff being exclusive, so I ask because I really don't know if there's a tradition of people creating content for games that only they get that I'm not aware of.

More initial thought was there would be a pet store or something where everyone's named pets are available, which is why I made the pet army joke.

It is 210 meters tall (689 feets).

I don't think we are going to fight that.

You are probably correct. Not a single spell (wizard, druid, priest) or weapon has a range over 20m, so the player would have to savage the titans ankles until he falls over. :lol: