Confirmed: Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Dropped more money on this than my wife would ever be happy with :p (and more to come Obsidian's way as soon as Paypal's a thing).

Stuff shown so far is extremely promising!

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Boo to the 5 people who backed the game before me

moderate perplexed.  our recollection is shady weren't actual a fan o' poe.  perhaps you contribute as a supporter o' obsidian as 'posed to a supporter o' poe?  doesn't matter.  don't need to explain.  your money. your choice.  

typical we pledge minimum for a digital copy when these kinda crowd funding things become available, but we went higher to be supportive o' obsidian doing more o' this kinda title now and in the future.

good luck to obsidian.  oh, and if game needs a couple extra quarters to get it right, we want the developers to take the time they require.  

and try and go easy on using companions as exposition-heavy lore dumps.

and...

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

good luck to obsidian.  oh, and if game needs a couple extra quarters to get it right, we want the developers to take the time they require. 

Yes.

I can wait a few more months for a game that will provide me with countless hours of quality entertainment. By all means, take the time you need to make it great!

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Am I crazy or do the graphics look a little better than in the original? 

They should! It's been 4+ years!

True enough! Some sequels don't make graphical enhancements, so I wasn't sure if it was just my eyes deceiving me. :yes:   

The visuals were pretty great if you asked me.. just that the awkward character animations.. i hope they can have new character movements, animations, positions, etc. this time around.

Agreed. The environments were fantastic. I didn't love the way that combat looked - with all of the engagement arrows and markings. But, generally, Pillars 1 was eye candy. 

Ok, backed. Looks like everything will be improved in the sequel. A few questions though:

-Why is Pallegina's skin color even darker than before? I first thought she was wearing a mask or smth. Her new model doesn't look similar to her old portrait.

-Will there be pets and will they have stats bonuses this time?

-How much time has passed since PoE1 and PoE2? I'm playing an elf, so my Watcher is still in top shape but I'm worried about Eder and all those Orlan Watchers out there.

-Have Obsidian finally realized that this is 2017 not early 2000s and many people have 4k resolution monitors?

-Have Obsidian finally realized that this is 2017 not early 2000s and many people have 4k resolution monitors?

This was one of my main gripes with PoE. I have a 1440p monitor and the upscaling was terrible :(

I hope PoE 2 will support higher resolutions natively or, failing that, at least employ a better upscaling algo for the UI (though text should really always render at native resolution for clarity.) Catmull-Rom Bicubic would be a good example ;)

This was one of my main gripes with PoE. I have a 1440p monitor and the upscaling was terrible :(

I hope PoE 2 will support higher resolutions natively or, failing that, at least employ a better upscaling algo for the UI (though text should really always render at native resolution for clarity.) Catmull-Rom Bicubic would be a good example ;)

That was my main gripe in Tyranny and that came out just recently - nothing good above 1080p. Feels like they still are living in the distant past.

Edited by Aramintai

If there is ever a time for following the development of escapist entertainment as a form of escapist entertainment in its own right, the timing couldn't be more perfect.

Thanks, Feargus!

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Boo to the 5 people who backed the game before me

moderate perplexed.  our recollection is shady weren't actual a fan o' poe.  perhaps you contribute as a supporter o' obsidian as 'posed to a supporter o' poe?  doesn't matter.  don't need to explain.  your money. your choice.  

typical we pledge minimum for a digital copy when these kinda crowd funding things become available, but we went higher to be supportive o' obsidian doing more o' this kinda title now and in the future.

and try and go easy on using companions as exposition-heavy lore dumps.

and...

HA! Good Fun!

You're mostly correct. I didn't much enjoy the game at launch but I did actually start to like it by the time the second half of The White March rolled out. Still didn't really care for the combat but I felt the rest of the game had been greatly improved. If they can keep on improving then I'll keep on supporting them.

Also, I really wanted that Obsidian hoodie

• Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

Backed! Though I'm still battling with myself over whether I should pledge for the Collector's edition or just the normal boxed one. Either way, 84 dollars for the boxed copy is pretty pricy :/

Which leads to my question: It says under the rewards for the 59 dollar boxed copy that it does't involve a digital copy. Do I have to wait for the shipping of said copy or will I actually get a code I can use before the actual physical copy arrives by mail? Asking this since last time around it did take almost forever for me to get my physical copy.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Can someone clear something out for me? Wh... why do people buy the boxed edition in the first place? It doesn't come with any digital format (is that correct?).

If I remember correctly, for the first Kickstarter campaign, there was a free digital download for every boxed edition only because the game's release got delayed or something. And thank God it did, because today I play only through my digital copy, as the boxed one got almost no support post-release (where do we download the patches? is the last update available at all?). Also, the expansion didn't come out in any retail version, so if we only got a single boxed copy in the first place, we simply wouldn't be able to play the expansion.

So, honestly, I think it would be worth to get a boxed copy for Pillars 2 only if under the guarantee of full post-release support (including an expansion DVD). Of course, considering that the boxed copy will be DRM-free like in the Pillars 1 kickstarter campaign.

Also, my first boxed copy for Pillars 1 came all messed up because of the poor packaging. Then I asked for a second one and it came all squashed again! It was absurd. So I just gave up. So I hope there is no Paradox deal this time...