Treasure Chests worth it?

Ive played this game for a while but havent done much with chests as unlocking characters has been my #1 priority and unlocking each adventure path has been #2.

Ive gotten a few free chests and opened them. They came with various rewards, even one way into adventure 6. I actually managed to acquire them through the story mode. After some testing I found out that they can only exists one card per your entire party. That is a massive problem with 11 characters.

In particular I was really looking forward to a simple Warhammer +2. Now I just need to get around a dozen more for my characters. And there's the problem. Multiple copies of each card are needed to equip every character.

I dont want to go and spend 5000+ on treasure chests looking for multiple copies of a few good cards and getting lots of junk. So I am asking people with more experiences with chests, Are Treasure Chests Worth it?

I think this depends on your definition of "worth it".  for 5000 gold you will get 10 treasure chests.  The chance of you  getting something you want is fairly small.  If you are not planning on paying money, then maybe your first priority is to unlock more adventure paths- this also allows your party to advance more which may make it easier to earn gold.

PFID-F5D45B8AF20421AC

I think you have the right priorities - characters, adventures, chests.

The first 50-75 chests you open will add a lot of variety to your games. After that, you start getting so much repeated stuff that you'll start to convert most of the cards you get back into gold (at a very disadvantageous rate, of course). Every now and then you'll get an interesting Legendary card, but I don't think they show up often enough for you to switch your focus to chests...

Cheers!

Mauricio

Edited by MauGibrin
  • Like 1

I would agree with the others, adding more options first through characters and adventures is the better idea and add chests when you have reserves to spend.

To complete and enjoy the game you don't need a single treasure or promotional card. But if you play somewhat regulary you have more than enough gold to buy every adventure deck and character.

Also, except for armors and rarer blessings, treasure cards are not necessarily better than the regular ones. They will give you mostly a different progression speed ore some different playstyle options. A lot of trasure cards are from later adventure paths / character decks and give a nice insight into the evolution of the game.

Usually you shouldn't be able to use more copies of any card than are available in the game in a single party, but that is only enforced fore treasure cards. Otherwise it would be a lot harder to keep all characters well equipped throughout the game.

For the chance of getting legendaries: Since I got my first one I got 2 legendaries over roughly every 25 chests. But I am pretty sure I opened more chests than that bbefore my first one.

I feel a little bad saying this, as I do think this is a good game that the developers deserve compensation for, but Treasure Chests are mostly not worth it. A handful of the cards are quite solid. Stuff like Shock Glaive or Greater Aid jump to mind as high-quality standouts, but those are the exception. The vast majority of them, even of epic and legendary rarity, are merely on par with the adventure cards. Many are even worse. Whether this was unintentional or by design, it is a good thing because it means a lot of the best cards aren't behind a f2p wall.

As others have said, unlock characters or adventures, and leave the chests until you're out of other stuff to buy.

Edited by Nym
  • Like 2

Well said Nym.  While I kind of want to like treasure chests, I'm really glad they didn't just make all the most powerful cards in the game available only through them.  That's the sort of thing that has sent me running from other games long before I spent a penny on them, where I happily bought gold in this one to pick up characters and adventures.

I've been quite cautious of treasure chests, so much excitement yet so much disappointment at the same time. Just curious, does it matter how many adventure decks you've unlocked when you open chests? For example if I only have deck 1 and 2, would treasure cards be more likely to be from deck 1 and 2? Or would it be the same rate and the likelihood of getting a treasure from deck 6 be the same as from 1 or 2?

I've been quite cautious of treasure chests, so much excitement yet so much disappointment at the same time. Just curious, does it matter how many adventure decks you've unlocked when you open chests? For example if I only have deck 1 and 2, would treasure cards be more likely to be from deck 1 and 2? Or would it be the same rate and the likelihood of getting a treasure from deck 6 be the same as from 1 or 2?

You can get cards from any adventure. I got deck six cards from the chests long before the adventure was even released. You're characters can't acquire them until you reach the adventure though.

Edited by ylvglo

PFID-141DBD51FD7F535C

Somewhere was a note that you have a higher chance of getting treasures of the decks your characters can already aquire cards from. Just can't remember where I have read that.

For example I havn't gotten a single deck 6 card before I had reached deck 4 in campaign mode. But I don't buy that many chests.

• Like 1

Somewhere was a note that you have a higher chance of getting treasures of the decks your characters can already aquire cards from. Just can't remember where I have read that.

For example I havn't gotten a single deck 6 card before I had reached deck 4 in campaign mode. But I don't buy that many chests.

The post you are thinking about was forever ago, when the game was stalled out at AD3.  The treasure chest RNG was slightly biased towards AD0-AD3 cards instead of AD4-AD6.  I'm guessing that the theory was to give a slight edge to cards you can use, instead of cards that are waiting on later ADs.

The bias didn't have anything to do with how far you have gone in the game.  It was just a matter of how much of the game had been released.

That's actually why I asked. I remember seeing a post saying it was skewed based on your character levels. I've got more than enough gold to unlock all the adventures but have been deciding if it's worth $32 CAD to unlock it all and save the gold for chests. That said, I've opened around 30 chests already and most of them are B,1,2. With a few 3 and 4 and only one 5 and one 6. So I'm curious if the skewing is still in place. Wonder if a dev could comment on this.

So I'm curious if the skewing is still in place. Wonder if a dev could comment on this.

Pretty sure it is.   Keep in mind that potential skewing is rather minor.  The overall bias against some of the AD5/6 cards is probably only a couple percentage points.

Oddly enough, the "rarest" type of card is currently the AD3 Legendary.  For whatever reason, the chances of finding one of those is pretty rough.  The treasure tables were reportedly adjusted a couple patches ago, so this may be the "intended" drop rate.

A dev would certainly have to comment further.  I'm merely a Pathfinder Chronicler.   ;)

Edit:  Oh, and to get back to your other question, the advice you normally hear around here is to focus on unlocking adventures and characters first.  Chests are nice, but the best way to add variety to the game is to focus on the other content first.

Edited by Ethics Gradient

I appreciate the advice, and I've read frequently on the forums, but that's not the real reason holding me back. I know that gold can unlock everything EXCEPT the promo cards, and I'm deciding if the promo's are worth $32 CAD. If I unlocked everything with gold already then it wouldn't be worth paying that much for a few promos (as some other posters have noted in a thread asking for $5 promos). The way it's set up, is if you enjoy playing the game to unlock, it makes it feel like you're being "ripped off" if you get the bundle. And if I do decide to throw my money down, gold would only be useful for treasure chests (Which the value of is being debated in this thread).

On another tangent, when I first got this app I dropped down $6 for 20k gold (75% off special) and bought 3 alts, and remainder on chests (before I knew what I was doing) mostly to support Obsidian, so I might just decide on giving them my money out of goodwill. I wonder if there's a way I could pay Obsidian directly instead of having Google take 20% through the Play store though...

When opening chests there are 4 slots that are calculated by the server. 1 slot uses how far you've progressed the adventure, a different slot uses the adventure decks that you have purchased. So if you have played up to the 3rd adventure, but bought all 6 adventure decks.. for slot 1, you'll be able to get a card from deck B - 3, while in slot 2, you'll be able to get a card from deck B - 6.

Don't ask me how I know this :)

• Like 1

When opening chests there are 4 slots that are calculated by the server. 1 slot uses how far you've progressed the adventure, a different slot uses the adventure decks that you have purchased. So if you have played up to the 3rd adventure, but bought all 6 adventure decks.. for slot 1, you'll be able to get a card from deck B - 3, while in slot 2, you'll be able to get a card from deck B - 6.

If that's true I regret opening all my chests. It does make sense though since I have a ridiculous amount of B and 1 cards. Is there any other secret meta tidbits you know? Don't worry, I won't ask how you know it :rolleyes:

It would be interesting if that were the case, but I think we're all drawing from the same treasure tables.  I haven't seen anything to suggest that I have different odds from a user who's just starting out.

It's okay that we have conflicting theories.  This way, treasure cards can still remain mysterious!   ;)

Edited by Ethics Gradient