Hey guys. I posted a topic awhile back looking for a woodsman build and in the same line of thought, am now looking to start a new game with a similar idea. 

Looking for a MC that will use an Arquebus and then jump into the fray dual wielding a hatchet and knife (or some similar combination, sabre? just too good). What class would get the most out of the arquebus, while still being good at jumping into melee? 

the-frontiersman-pupular-magazine-cover-

Rogue. With an Aumaua (whichever one gives you the extra weapon slot), quick switch & extra weapon talents, and the belt of resourcefulness, you can machine gun 3 arquebus shots at the outset of combat (no wait time in between, just click - Q - click - Q - click) and then go to town in melee. Reason for rogue is that you have the best accuracy and crit rate, sneak attack/backstab/deathblows to add +% damage, and activated abilities that add +%. Nobody else can add that much damage onto a gun shot's base damage.

Edited by the streaker
  • Like 1

For straight up first shot damage I'd say a Cipher with Apprentice Sneak attack. It'd be at +55% damage, while a Rogue would have +50% plus whatever special attack they used, be it blinding strike, crippling strike or whatever. You won't have the two afflictions needed for deathblows on the first shot without a bunch of micro which would get real tiring really quickly.

Another choice would be a Paladin using the Flames of Devotion alpha strikes with the Arquebus. The 50% fire lash hits really hard with an arquebus.

A Ranger built for melee who starts with a quick gun shot would probably look the part better than the psionic or the holy warrior. Plus you'd get a pet. go with Drawn in Spring and the pet talents that get +50% damage from DoTs and you'll be set for a duo of deathdealers.

Paladins can even get 120% lash for the arquebus shots: Flames of Devotion (50%) + Intense Flames (25%) + Burning Lash (25%) + Scion of Flame (*1.2). It's devastating.

Another advantage would be that with Zealous Focus and the +20 ACC from FoD he will not likely miss even when he doesn't take a Weapon Focus for the arquebus.

However, a paladin doesn't really fit thematically when I look at the image you posted.

If I take that as a basis, I'd say rogue or ranger. The rogue can even take Backstab and do +200% base damage when opening from stealth at point blank.

A ranger can reload significantly faster than any other class if you don't like Quick Switch. Later on he could use Powder Burns.

Those are the classes that work best with arquebuses inmy opinion.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Looks like a ranger to me:) At least If I were basing a character on the image, I'd probably use Boeroers riptide build, and just open with a couple of shots with an arquebus.

There was also a gun build ranger floating around  - used powder burns. I played a ranger using a blunderbuss and it was loads of fun. Hardly a powerbuild but still pretty impressive with swift aim, gunner and a chanter you fire pretty fast. But I ignored powder burns for swift aim.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Ranger with armor is just fine in melee. Not a lot of difference in their base/level progression stats compared to a pally or Chanter It's all in how you build. Arquebuses *3 plus warhammer and shield works just fine.

Edited by Blades of Vanatar

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Thanks guys, 

While I am sure a ranger would work great, and obviously fits the archetype, I have actually played the most with the ranger, and think i will try a different class. I just die a little bit inside every level I pick a passive for the pet. I like the class, just wish I could forgo the pet, or that it leveled on its own. 

Anyway, I love the idea of a rogue, or a kind wayfarer (for rp).

What builds would you suggest for the first Act specifically? 

Race- Aumaua for the extra weapon slot i assume? 

Would a Kind Wayfarer DW paladin with light armor even be playable? I assume with faith and conviction, I might be okay on the defenses? (PS I play on hard so I don't have as many issues with squishier chars) . I was honestly thinking of a ranged Barbarian (again for rp), but the holes in the build are just too large, and the fundamental ability for the class wouldn't even be used.  

Thanks guys. I know you are all probably sick of these novice questions which don't present any nuances of the game, but it does really help reading all your insights. 

KW shooter can stack FoD with its upgrades and Scion of Flame with Quick Switch to pour on some heavy damage. Then switch to anything you want melee wise depending on your party role. Maybe a pair of endurance draining weapons to compensate for the lighter armour. Guans Share and Oideracht or Resolution... all can be gathered early on. Durance's Armor would work nice until something better comes along.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Druid could be interesting as well. You could open with guns and either melee with shapeshifting or weapons, and you'd still have your spells.

Not a bad combination.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Kind Wayfarer with 3 guns is cool. Use 2 FoD shots with Intense Flames, burning lash and Scion of Flame and one Runner's Wounding Shot before switching to melee.

Independend from class choice: If you still like hatchets you can use Hearth Harvest. It's obtainable quite early and it already comes with a burning lash and has rending, which is good for a fast, light weapon.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Really like having all 3 shots, having an active talent associated with it wiith a paladin. 

So 1: Flames of devotion,
2: dual wield or runners, quick switch,  scion of flame?

3: zealous focus, 
4: level 2 not picked or gunner

5: sworn enemy?
6:??

What about rogue? 

1:crippling

2: runners, dual wield, quick switch? Backstab???!!!
3:  escape or dirty fighting
4: level 2 not picked or gunner?
5: deep wounds....reposte? blinding?

6: ????

I am probably going to play both together up to 6 and see what i like better..

There's a rogue build posted in the builds list at the top of this forum, it's not optimized but it's pretty good, called "Don Juan". Just move quick switch & extra slot further up the build queue and you're good to go. Same with the paladin, all you really need is quick switch, the rest is a pretty basic paladin build.

Edited by the streaker