3 teaser images - Eder, Aloth, Pallegina in PoE 2?

So these teaser images on Twitter with quotes from Eder, Aloth, Pallegina look like these 3 characters will be back in business in PoE 2. 

Personally, I love all 3 of those, these were my most used companions. I wonder what other old characters will be in PoE 2. I hope the team will be smaller this time, but with more substance. 

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/821781076523651072

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/822145350341304321

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/822506229691981826

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 2

I must be the only one that likes Durance lol. Anyway, his story was very tied to the main story in the first game, and he would potentially be irrelevant in this. Well, him meeting Eothas would be entertaining.

Aloth, Eder, and Pallegina are the 3 I would pick to bring back. I like Zahua and Kana as well, but they aren't as core IMHO.

I'm pretty excited. Can't wait till next week.

• Like 2

We already knew that Eder, Aloth and Pallegina would come back, so I'm thrilled to see the teasers of the next days!

I especially wonder if we'll get to see (and play with) Sagani again, since we are probably going to explore the Deadfire archipelago.

• Like 2

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

I liked Eder most. Simple, funny, not annoying.

Pellegina has potencial with her duty, own vision of justice and godess destiny.

Devil have potencial as only living automata.

Never had connection with Aloth, but he may fit if leaden key is involved.

Also while i would welcome in the party Pellegina or WM companions, for me Eder or Aloth would fit better as questgivers. So there will be place for new characters. Someone old, someone new.

Edited by evilcat

I must be the only one that likes Durance lol. Anyway, his story was very tied to the main story in the first game, and he would potentially be irrelevant in this. Well, him meeting Eothas would be entertaining.

Aloth, Eder, and Pallegina are the 3 I would pick to bring back. I like Zahua and Kana as well, but they aren't as core IMHO.

I'm pretty excited. Can't wait till next week.

Durance is my favorite by far, but I find very unlikely to see him again. Other than him, I liked Edér and Hiravias, also Maneha to a lesser extent. Aloth was good, too, but not outstanding. I have to admit that I didn't change that much the party so I didn't gave the rest much of a chance.
  • Like 1

Durance would fit in well for the new storyline. DURANCE VS. EOTHAS REMATCH. WHO WILL WIN?!

I also hope Maneha will come back. I enjoyed having her around and she fits my party very well. At the very least I'd like to have a cameo of her.

Speaking of cameos: I hope we get to see the Adra Dragon. I did not spare it just to never hear from it ever again.

• Like 3

I want Palegina as a playable character in PoE2. I wanted to use her more often in PoE, but other characters seemed to be more useful during my first playthrough.

Certainly I am happy for the return of Aloth and Eder too! 

I wonder whose teaser we'll see today. Will it be a new character now, or more are returning? Then I hope for Hiravias and Durance, they were very interesting companions.

Josh teased those three specifically as coming back:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJbB6FLAb7Y/?taken-by=jesawyer1975&hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMC1lcrAqci/?taken-by=jesawyer1975&hl=en

As for the setting, he teased the world map too a while back:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLtt11cAKFc/?taken-by=jesawyer1975&hl=en

(If you look closely, you'll see the file's name is "poe2_world_map")

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

That auld Edér picture always gets me.

Not to mention that battle-worn Aloth, with his battered armour all stitched up. I mean, just look at him, our elven boy, all grown up! *Goes sobbing in a corner*

Edited by Barbedbeat
  • Like 1

If those 3 are back as companions then I already see the similarities between BG1 to BG2 and Pillars 1 to Pillars 2: In BG2 you start with 3 of your old companions :p

Anyway, I'd like to see old characters back (if they tie well with the state I left them at Pillars 1 ending) but not as companions. I prefere new faces to travel along with me. I'd like to see these 3 familiar faces back, though, but as important npcs that are with you or in frequent interaction with you. Like Leliana was in Dragon Age Inquisition.

IF the devs decide, though, to continue the Watcher story (meaning we play the same character) maybe then I'd like to see Eder, Palegina and Aloth as companions. Although I'd like to start anew.

• Like 2

Personally, I'd love to have a sequel like Baldur's Gate did - with the same protagonist and companions. They have a backstory now and I've come to care about them, which is better than devs trying to establish a whole new set of characters. I'd rather see those characters further development. And the Watcher still seems like an interesting protagonist with unique ability and a few gods as enemies.

If those 3 are back as companions then I already see the similarities between BG1 to BG2 and Pillars 1 to Pillars 2: In BG2 you start with 3 of your old companions :p

Anyway, I'd like to see old characters back (if they tie well with the state I left them at Pillars 1 ending) but not as companions. I prefere new faces to travel along with me. I'd like to see these 3 familiar faces back, though, but as important npcs that are with you or in frequent interaction with you. Like Leliana was in Dragon Age Inquisition.

IF the devs decide, though, to continue the Watcher story (meaning we play the same character) maybe then I'd like to see Eder, Palegina and Aloth as companions. Although I'd like to start anew.

I'm with you on this. I don't mind 1-2 key companions to be back with you. The rest as cameos where you can chat with them in some locations but not as companion. I'd like new faces with new interesting personality and maybe love interest? Yah i know many people hate this.. i have no idea why. I personally love the love interest in Baldur's Gate. So why not in PoE2?

I'd like new faces with new interesting personality and maybe love interest? Yah i know many people hate this.. i have no idea why. I personally love the love interest in Baldur's Gate. So why not in PoE2?

Obsidian claim they don't know how to write romances but I think they really don't want all those rabid BioWare romance fans flooding their forums, lol. Personally, if this is a direct sequel with some old companions I wouldn't mind having a romance option like it was in Baldur's Gate II. However, only if it's not forced and well written.

personally love the love interest in Baldur's Gate. So why not in PoE2?

Let's not go down that rabbit hole again :p

Imo, Edér, Aloth, and Pallegina are the three characters from PoE who, based on their personal quests and stories, make the most sense as potential comebacks in PoE 2—and I think it's a good idea to have a mix of familiar faces/fan favorites and new characters. Some of the characters in PoE were fun, but they told whatever story they had to tell and that's it; we need something fresh. Then again, it's good to bring back some characters from PoE to establish a sense of familiarity and consolidate them as known personalities in the lore of the setting.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

personally love the love interest in Baldur's Gate. So why not in PoE2?

Let's not go down that rabbit hole again :p

Imo, Edér, Aloth, and Pallegina are the three characters from PoE who, based on their personal quests and stories, make the most sense as potential comebacks in PoE 2.

I'm not sure how some of their endings allow them to return in a sequel, but I'm sure devs will figure something out. Maybe those endings were like very general strokes of what they will ultimately do in the future after the sequel, or they will simply be retconned. The only one who's endings I felt were unfinished and a good set up for a sequel was Aloth, especially if he decides to take a fight to the Leaden Key. Poor guy, all alone, I wanna help him do it in a sequel at least :)

Edited by Aramintai

I'm not sure how some of their endings allow them to return in a sequel, but I'm sure devs will figure something out. Maybe those endings were like very general strokes of what they will ultimately do in the future after the sequel, or they will simply be retconned.

I'd say it depends.

For example, take Edér. I got the ending where he became mayor of Dyrford. If PoE 2 were to feature a brand new protagonist with nothing to do with the Watcher, it would be weird AF to have Edér leave Dyrford and travel to a distant location to fight alongside an unknown low-level dude; it would feel like Edér was just placed there for the sake of having a familiar face. However, if the protagonist were to be the Watcher, then they are someone Edér is attached to—someone he owes to, even. If the Watcher needed his help for something big/important, he may be inclined to leave Dyrford and follow.

By contrast, take Durance. He was only traveling with the Watcher to solve his own personal dilemma. At the end of his story arc in PoE he figures things out and his dilemma is solved. His endings, if memory serves, range from his becoming a secluded, disillusioned hermit to his committing suicide (?). In either case, I don't see his will to follow the Watcher around any further as justified or justifiable.

That is what I meant by my sentence :)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

Not to mention that battle-worn Aloth, with his battered armour all stitched up. I mean, just look at him, our elven boy, all grown up! *Goes sobbing in a corner*

What? Where?

What did I miss?

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I'm not sure how some of their endings allow them to return in a sequel, but I'm sure devs will figure something out. Maybe those endings were like very general strokes of what they will ultimately do in the future after the sequel, or they will simply be retconned.

I'd say it depends.

For example, take Edér. I got the ending where he became mayor of Dyrford. If PoE 2 were to feature a brand new protagonist with nothing to do with the Watcher, it would be weird AF to have Edér leave Dyrford and travel to a distant location to fight alongside an unknown low-level dude; it would feel like Edér was just placed there for the sake of having a familiar face. However, if the protagonist were to be the Watcher, then they are someone Edér is attached to—someone he owes to, even. If the Watcher needed his help for something big/important, he may be inclined to leave Dyrford and follow.

By contrast, take Durance. He was only traveling with the Watcher to solve his own personal dilemma. At the end of his story arc in PoE he figures things out and his dilemma is solved. His endings, if memory serves, range from his becoming a secluded, disillusioned hermit to his committing suicide (?). In either case, I don't see his will to follow the Watcher around any further as justified or justifiable.

That is what I meant by my sentence :)

Yea, I don't have a problem with Eder leaving his mayor post, nobody said it has to be permanent. Same thing with secret Eothasian cult. But I'm not sure about the ending where he leaves to another continent to join with his parents. It's looks rather unlikely for him to swim all the way back to help the Watcher in this one. Perhaps some endings will be made canon?

Durance's endings seemed rather final. And frankly, if he weren't the only priest in the game I'd never take that crazy creep into my party. A rather unlikable character, but with an interesting plot, I hope he's not returning in PoE 2 and we get someone more pleasant. I'd even go with that scrapped character Cadegund.

Edited by Aramintai

What? Where?

What did I miss?

This! https://www.instagram.com/p/BJbB6FLAb7Y/?hl=en

And also this, coming directly from the pdf he used for his Code Europe talk and kindly shared with his twitter followers: post-156968-0-87205200-1485022600_thumb.png

Oh, and by the way: won't you all look at Obsidian's new homepage... Looks like we're dealing with a brand new corsair-type of character here!

Edited by Barbedbeat
  • Like 1

Yes, there's a new teaser:

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/822867860619862017

I don't recognize this quote as any of the old characters. Hazanui sounds like something Aumauan. A new character perhaps?

And it sounds more and more like Deadfire Archipelago is the location for PoE 2.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 6

What? Where?

What did I miss?

This! https://www.instagram.com/p/BJbB6FLAb7Y/?hl=en

And also this, coming directly from the pdf he used for his Code Europe talk and kindly shared with his twitter followers: attachicon.gifSchermata 2017-01-21 alle 19.14.30.png

Oh, and by the way: won't you all look at Obsidian's new homepage... Looks like we're dealing with a brand new corsair-type of character here!

Also look at this Josh Sawyer's presentation picture:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58877228/Code_Europe_2016_Game_Programmers.pdf

New Eder (and Pallegina?) picture with him standing on a ship with mast on the background.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 3