Politics 2017

Wrath of Dagon

Caliexit. I think its funny considering  the war that was faught to keep states from leaving before. L0L  This is why both sides are silly. Because, opinions would be switched if a red leaning state like Texas were to try to leave.

Yet, people like Obama actually believes that the entire world should bow to one single 'world wide gov't'. Even in Kanada we have multiple threats of provinces leaving. Mostly Quebec repeatedly but Western provinces at times too.

P.S. Read the California article. L0L Even more hilarious, it is being pushed by a Russian group supported by the Russian gov't. HAHAHAH

Also, people whine when Trump wants to leave or redo  things like NAFTA, TTP, or even the UN.... but since thinsg don't go their way they want to take their ball and leave the US. Don't people pay attention to this type of hypocrisy.

Once again, like with the hacked emails, Russians are doing us a favor.

When your car industry buy cheap parts from Mexico and then uses them to build cars in US and sells them to Europe with bigger profit that they could do if they had bought those parts from US, they most likely decrease US's over all trade deficit compared to situation where they had made those part domestically because with cheaper part they can better compete in prices with European car manufactures.

Normally you'd run a deficit with one country but compensate for it by having a surplus with another. Problem is we run deficits with everyone.

But in case of food products things become much difficult to tell. Even though cheaper food means that people have more money to put in services and products made in US, but it is very difficult to tell if that money helps US companies to make products and services that they can sell to foreign markets to help decrease trade deficit.

One thing that would help US to drop its trade deficit somewhat would be to decrease US dependency to oil, so that it would not need to buy it so much.  Like for example in 2015 US imported 4.71 million barrels per day (total 9.45 million barrels per day) more than it exports with average price of 52 dollars of barrel, meaning that US imported oil worth of 89.4 billion dollars more than it exported in 2015. So dropping amount of imported oil to that to half would decrease US from trade deficit more than getting to zero balance with Mexico.

We could easily produce all the oil we need domestically, but that would require a fee on imported oil to make domestic production profitable. That is not politically possible.

Edit: Doesn't matter that we're a service economy. You always pay for goods and services you consume with the goods and services you produce. We don't do that, so we have to borrow the difference. That works fine so long as you can borrow indefinitely and continue to pay the interest on the ever increasing debt.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

more alternative facts, eh? 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, they aren't going to get half a million people to sign on to putting that on the ballot in California.  :getlost:

According to polls 30% of Californians favor secession. Granted you need pretty good organization to get that many valid signatures, and they don't seem to have one, so we'll see.

The perils of meritocracy: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/opinion/the-rise-and-fall-of-european-meritocracy.html?_r=2

Shorter version : Even if you're a citizen of the world, the world still doesn't give a crap about you.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Welp, looks like were going to need a lot more wall between CA and OR/NV/AZ. Or else illegals will just flood in from CA unsecured border, included ex-citizens. If only you guys would vote me into power and allow unrestricted drone pepper spraying, I could end this thing in a month. :yes:

• Like 1

If California left, the US would have a lot of emigration to it.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

We could easily produce all the oil we need domestically, but that would require a fee on imported oil to make domestic production profitable. That is not politically possible.

Personally I think that we should not tap into our native oil reserves until we absolutely must (because why run them down when we don't have to, I'd rather pay more and have strategic advantage later than use them now and find ourselves short when we really need them).

• Like 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Personally I think that we should not tap into our native oil reserves until we absolutely must (because why run them down when we don't have to, I'd rather pay more and have strategic advantage later than use them now and find ourselves short when we really need them).

The oil is virtually infinite, it's just a question of getting it out of the ground.

It's just such a weird sentiment to WANT California to leave. I mean, as you type it on your computer, or maybe on your fancy smart phone. Or as you enjoy your fruits and vegetables. Or as you watch your entertainment. Sure, California is the source of all the US's problems.  Right-o.   :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I'm also baffled by the implication that California should be considered any less "American" than all those heartland states. After all, as that movie "The Founder" shows, it's the birthplace of McDonalds which is as good a symbol as any of American innovation and ingenuity (such as it is, given Ray Kroc's depiction) and the footprint it leaves on the rest of the world. 

And, you know? Taco Bell, Carl's Jr, In-n-Out, and Del Taco were founded in Los Angeles. That makes the city the source of another American symbol: Chronic obesity.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

It's just such a weird sentiment to WANT California to leave. I mean, as you type it on your computer, or maybe on your fancy smart phone. Or as you enjoy your fruits and vegetables. Or as you watch your entertainment. Sure, California is the source of all the US's problems.  Right-o.   :thumbsup:

From my point of view, it's the source of all of US's political problems, or most of them anyway. It was fine when it was Republican, or even a swing state, but now it's an evil, lawless Democrat empire.

From my point of view, it's the source of all of US's political problems, or most of them anyway. It was fine when it was Republican, or even a swing state, but now it's an evil, lawless Democrat empire.

Ah ok, that doesn't sound unreasonable at all. 

• Like 1

Kalifornia is a symbol of crying ineffective Liberal policy. Sure, it has some good qualities but the non stop bellyachching and arrogance and self righteousness ruins everything. I mean, they get all judgemental but, again, this is a state (the only state/NA place) that is literally always lacking water. LMAO

Also, it has too many surfer dudes and wannabe actors. And, the actors they do get actually think people care about them outside of them being entertainers.  HINT: I can like your movies and tv shows and still think your opinion means crap. Though, they aren't alone in having arrogant celebrities. Just ask the poor state who has Stephen King. My favorite writer but can be an absolute bonehead with his silly pandering idiotic delusional political beliefs.

Also, I have the same message for Kalifornia as I do for Texas or Quebec in my own country when they threaten to leave; JUST DO IT. Get the hell out if you don't want to be here. I don't believe in slavery so I ain't gonna force ya to stay. But, I won't beg you to stay if you don't want.  You ain't that important or needed.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Pros and cons of California.

If California seceded from America, I'd imagine they'd have a very hard time.

First off, the jobs there are American jobs and a lot of the tech would be considered American. Very good possibility they'd have to start from scratch or else everything they are currently working on would result in a massive landslide of being sued.

Then from scratch, they'd have to find their roads, wouldn't have access to snap and all those goodies, the tolls going INTO California and such.

TBH I don't think they would have it as good as they think they would.

Course could be wrong as I have been many of times before.

:lol: WOD you cant use such hyperbole.......you must be using certain just to tease the guys who live in California

For example how is California evil or lawless ? Neither of those words can be used to reasonably describe any state in the USA  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

First off, the jobs there are American jobs and a lot of the tech would be considered American. Very good possibility they'd have to start from scratch or else everything they are currently working on would result in a massive landslide of being sued.

Unless the technology was directly funded and owned by the American Government I don't think there would be as many issues as you think as they'd still be working for the same companies and so the ownership wouldn't be an issue? Although I'm also sick and on meds that make my head a bit fuzzy so I might be missing something obvious.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Pros and cons of California.

If California seceded from America, I'd imagine they'd have a very hard time.

Then from scratch, they'd have to find their roads, wouldn't have access to snap and all those goodies, the tolls going INTO California and such.

TBH I don't think they would have it as good as they think they would.

Course could be wrong as I have been many of times before.

I'm pretty sure Google, Apple, all the movies studios, HP, Tesla, etc. are not owned by the US in any way. That would kind of violate the entire model of capitalism. And considering a lot of these tech companies make their stuff in China, an independent California would probably have no trouble negotiating trade deals. Plus the port of LA is the largest trade port in terms of dollars in the world. Basically it would be a major loss for the US, but it doesn't really matter because it isn't going to happen. Anyone who wants it is delusional and is too caught up in political rhetoric to recognize basic economics. 

• Like 3