Just started playing this awesome game a while ago and my MC is a Ranger who specializes in firearms. I'm just wondering why Powder Burns is still damaging my front liners even if they are in the yellow part of the template. Is this intentional? I'm really bummed out right now because i was really looking forward in blasting enemies with that skill.

Also can anyone suggest any firearms themed builds that does not switch to bows? Thanks!  :w00t: 

I'm just wondering why Powder Burns is still damaging my front liners even if they are in the yellow part of the template. Is this intentional?

I bet it's not intentional.

- in v3.00 party members were not damaged while standing in the yellow zone; only enemies... and your animal companion.

- in v3.05 everyone is getting damaged.

I don't know when exactly was that modified, but at least the interaction between Powder Burns and Wounding Shot with Envenom was finally fixed.

Related bug report.

Also can anyone suggest any firearms themed builds that does not switch to bows? Thanks!  :w00t:

A common variant would be a ranged build with arquebuss and swift aim | or blunderbuss and vicious aim + quick switch + flanking bonuses.

But I guess something like a: plate frontliner, quick-switching firearms with powder burns (with maxed Mig/Int with Shod-in-Faith and Swaddling Sheet) could also be greatly viable.

Edited by MaxQuest

Great blunderbuss build: Island Aumaua wizard with Arms Bearer, Quick Switch and focus on max DR bypass (Pen. Shot, Ryona's Vambraces, Expose Vulnerab.) and Combusting Wounds. Cast Expose Vul. and Combusting Wounds on the enemies and then shoot them with your blunderbusses. Awesome! Most of the time you will do additional >100 burn damage with CW. Not the usual wizard build - but one of the best gun wielders in my opinion. Spell Mastery Expose V. & Combusting W. Nice additions are things which generate a lot of hits, like most missile spells and wall spells.

Guess I'll have to post that build at some point. Soon I'll have more time, I promise. ;)

You can also take a ranger and use one or two Rings of Searing Flames. With Driving Flight this will generate even more hits, but it lacks a bit DR bypass. Not a problem with a ful party though.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Had a similar build in mind for some time now ^)

But obligatorily frontliner (with something like 18/14/15/10/18/3)

With AoE stun from a party member or Overwhelming Wave from Swaddling Sheet/White Crest Armor, he can greatly lower enemy reflex for the Powder Burns, plus deflection for the Blunderbuss bullets.

Add there Apprentice Sneak Attack, Scion of Flame, Wilder Hunter/or alike, and he will be able to dish ~400 dmg to a single target + ~300 dmg cone AoE in approximatively 4 seconds. And then there is also CW, Wounding Shot, Envenom, esp. with high mig/int, and potential scroll usage (for example Wall of Flame...)

The main question is, what to do with pet through. Get Vengeful Grief, let the pet die and a paladin martyr it? Or micro it away from the cone and let it attack a target affected by wounding/envenom?

Edited by MaxQuest

I find Powder Burns to be a weak ability, but maybe that's just me. If it would work with Swift and Vicious Aim and the self blindig part would be removed it would be OK I guess.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

^ Yeah it's not stellar.

The question is: is it better to use [Firearm + Vicios Aim] or [Firearm + Powder Burns]?)

Blinding is annoying. But at least there are ways to deal with it (Crossed Patch, Litany Against Minor Afflictions; plus theoretically should work: Potion of Major Recovery and Minor Intercession).

Edited by MaxQuest

Wow! Thanks for the replies, guys.

30+ hours leading to level 13 ruined. :banghead:  I'll probably reroll a new MC. 

I really love the idea of the quick switching guns thingy, I'll give it a spin. Also, they should've let non-amaua races pick Arms Bearer twice heheh. I don't fancy those big dudes brandishing pistols. I personally think that firearms are for regular sized bandits and ruffians who does not have the physical prowess and discipline to use conventional martial weapons.

Thanks again. And Boeroer, i can't wait to see your Wizard Gunner or should i say "Winner" build. It sounds interesting and unique.

• Like 1

Wow! Thanks for the replies, guys.

30+ hours leading to level 13 ruined. :banghead: I'll probably reroll a new MC.

I really love the idea of the quick switching guns thingy, I'll give it a spin. Also, they should've let non-amaua races pick Arms Bearer twice heheh. I don't fancy those big dudes brandishing pistols. I personally think that firearms are for regular sized bandits and ruffians who does not have the physical prowess and discipline to use conventional martial weapons.

Thanks again. And Boeroer, i can't wait to see your Wizard Gunner or should i say "Winner" build. It sounds interesting and unique.

You can just go in a shop and retrain, no need for hard reroll

• Like 1

• 1 year later...