Symbols & Spoilers(?) [Web Shenanigans]

This symbol strongly resembles the smybol of Eir Glanfath. The person also mentions that "the tribes may not respect this throne". So, yeah, we probably have a Glanfathan companion... and the Glanfathans don't seem to like a certain throne. Maybe the throne of the ducs? They are foreigners in the eyes of the Glanfathans.

https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/2/26/Eir_Glanfath_coa.png?version=a6c4efb3453f5b9711d48559c0fa84b4

Edited by LordFey
  • Like 1

This symbol strongly resembles the smybol of Eir Glanfath. The person also mentions that "the tribes may not respect this throne". So, yeah, we probably have a Glanfathan companion... and the Glanfathans don't seem to like a certain throne. Maybe the throne of the ducs? They are foreigners in the eyes of the Glanfathans.

https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/2/26/Eir_Glanfath_coa.png?version=a6c4efb3453f5b9711d48559c0fa84b4

I wouldn't say that the resemblance goes any further than both of them being roughly triangular.  And that explanation doesn't account for the waves and the reference to sharks-- Eir Glanfath is landlocked. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that the resemblance goes any further than both of them being roughly triangular.  And that explanation doesn't account for the waves and the reference to sharks-- Eir Glanfath is landlocked. 

am holding out hope for a coastal aumaua druid with wildshape octopus.

HA! Good Fun!

ps http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70970-building-a-druid-need-advice/?p=1584404

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

As are we all, I'm sure. 

(Also, I'm not sure if I should be impressed or scared by the fact that you remembered that it was me who made that comment nearly 2 years ago.)

is not impressive. our elephantine recall is largely limited to anything we has read, and that which is accompanied by music.  our admitted limited brainpower is most often wasted recollecting show tunes and tv jingles. is annoying.  

try not to think o' a pink polar bear.  can't do it, can you? 

now imagine that same situation but with an entire musical.  is maddening.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'd strongly argue that it goes more than being just roughly triangular. This symbol has the distinctive shape of a Triskelion, a symbol which, in reality, dates way back to the stone age, but is often associated with Celtic symbolism from which Glanfathan art (and also a little bit Engwithan) borrows heavily.

True, Eir Glanfath is landlocked, but that's why I think the waves are very important. The waves, along with a ship and five stars, are the coat of arms of the Vailian republic: https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/d/d7/Vailian_Republics_coa.png

And we shouldn't forget, that the last pictures always depicted aspects of characters (i.e. possible companions) and not nations or world states, so I don't necessarily think that Eir Glanfath conquered parts of the Vailian Republic and now has access to the sea. I just think it's a character that has at least relations to both nations.

A character tied to more than one nation could be very interesting, if developed and explored appropriately. It would go beyond the one-dimensional nationalism characters tend to exhibit in this kind of setting and offer a fresh character development opportunity; especially if the character was somehow tied to two nations that don't necessarily always see eye to eye.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hard to believe they'd commit to a release date at this stage. Maybe an hour of the day?

So far, all the updates and twitter posts are at 10 AM PST.

10:00 AM PST, Jan 26:  A thing will happen!

Maybe initial goal of the figstarter is 10 mil  :w00t:

seems to me Obsidian is building something similar to what Black Sails ​is doing (and i'm basing this solely on the teaser-- 'if you don't like our methods...;)-- a powerful chartered guild or company (like the Valian Trading Company) is going into Deadfire and attempting to set  trade routes/monopolize some resource. you're choice will be do you support the chaotic Deadfire natives, or do you side with the authoritarian yet cruel corporate interest. Then of course, there will be whatever god-level quest you're set on running concurrently. All sounds very interesting.

It's been pretty common in television recently- Westworld, Black Sails, Frontier, are all shows about the freedom of the frontier, with it's dangers and pleasures and interesting personalities, vs the order and structure of civilization.

one thing too- there is the line about the luminous- I was playing through Cliaban Rilag last night, and there is a room with a bunch of eggs in the bottom corner of the map. If you hit the magnified glass, it uses the world 'luminous'. perhaps that is the luminous referred to.  

seems to me Obsidian is building something similar to what Black Sails ​is doing (and i'm basing this solely on the teaser-- 'if you don't like our methods... ;)-- a powerful chartered guild or company (like the Valian Trading Company) is going into Deadfire and attempting to set  trade routes/monopolize some resource. you're choice will be do you support the chaotic Deadfire natives, or do you side with the authoritarian yet cruel corporate interest. Then of course, there will be whatever god-level quest you're set on running concurrently. All sounds very interesting.

This sounds credible and all (especially if you add Rauatai as an additional mercantilist force rivaling the Republics), but the problem is that they've done that already.  Fallout: New Vegas features a frontier region with 2 rivaling geopolitical forces competing to control it, and presents the player with the option to tip the balance to one, the other, or to the natives (whether led by House or the PC).  It'd surprise me if Obsidian goes for that level of thematic repetition.  

Edited by Enoch

^

It wouldn't surprise me at all.

agreed.  am thinking there is obsidians who wanted to do things in fallout and failed.  well, not so much failed as fo:nv didn't match their goals.  ravel showed up in many black isle/obsidian games not 'cause she were a fail, but 'cause the obsidians (chrisA) weren't done with her. there were things chrisA wanted to do with ravel in ps:t, but couldn't.  games development results in much good content ending up unrealized.  no doubt there is a natural tendency to try and "fix" old games using content in new games.  

am kinda worried 'bout poe2.  faith were the thematic core o' poe and we believe there is much left to be said 'bout faith in eora and in crpgs in general.  the manner in which poe joinable companions were utilized for bluntforce lore exposition diminished their value o' advancing core theme.  companions can be fixed.  faith should remain thematic relevant.  am not wanting to see obsidians get fixated on micro explorations o' lore or fixing fo:nv.  am concerned the developers will get so caught up in the lore and mechanics o' competing factions they forget/marginalize theme. end up with better factions mechanics and lore than poe or fo:nv, but w/o a reason to care 'bout 'em. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

i'm really interested in it. If i remember correctly, pillars is an approximation of the 16th century. In the medditeranian at that time (certainly not a frontier, but still the haunt of pirates and privateers), there were some really interesting naval battles between the ottomans and the catholic leauge. The battle of leppanto was a big galley ship fight, (miguel de cervantes was there), and the siege of malta and rhodes were interesting episodes in the history. Love to see some of that played out in a fictional setting

add in Venice and their history (directing the crusade against Constantinople instead of the holy land, their uneasy relationship with the Ottomans), plus the barbary pirates, and i think there is a wealth of insipiration to create a really interesting political scenario to accompany the god-quest story so central to POE.

Not to try and turn this into a speculation thread, which i'm sure will open after the 26th, but I'm very hopeful Obsidian will build up the political/economic conflicts as a central piece of this one.

• Like 2

If these teasers (after the first three) do relate to factions rather than characters (which seems more and more likely), I guess Old Vailia is the fit to this one.  A once-great empire, now faded and fractured by continual internal warfare.   

• Like 2