Need strategic help about Elmshore battles

Hi guys. I got a level 10 barbarian, going in all situations possible with Aloth+Grieving mother + Durance with or without a paladin. I got stuck in the damn Elmshore region. I got great problems there and no combination of spells helps... I got stuck at defeating a small army of evil spiders, trolls and mysterious female mages who stand behind and cast dominate /i.e. use my own main char against me/ !! They are located near a green stone structure in the left middle map of the map. They just own LOL.
I use the paladin's skill to debuff but then the mages charm another hero... Not to mention they are living well in there even after I cast fireballs on them. The trolls usually go kill Aloth who dies quickly even with buffs and healing from Durance.

I also had great problems with defeating the little army of giants /they had 2 druids in that group/ but I managed ****ing them using a lot of stupid kiting and 2 paladins with heavy armor. I barely managed those but

WHAT TO DO??

Thanks a lot.

P.s. I am playing on HARD difficulty. And yes, I got yellow weapons on most of my characters.

Edited by IamNOOB

Weapons don't matter that much anyway.

What you encountered are Andragans - very potent casters. They will petrify you and that can be the end.

You can make those fights easier if you use the prayer spells that Durance has. Prayer against Treachery and so on. This will prevent domination.

Then you should use summons as cannon fodder to distract the enemies.

Then durance should use Inspiring Radiance and Devotions to boost ACC by +30, Aloth should cast Eldritch Aim and then, with +45 ACC, he should cast his best disables - same with the cipher with Borrowed Instinct - before the melee guys like the barb go in.

The prayers and litanies are one key to an easy playthrough.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

ACC = Accuracy. The most important thing in this game. :)

Durance has prayers. Like Druids (and unlike wizards) priests can't choose their spells, they are always the same. You are lvl 10, so Durance should have lvl 5 spells. That means he has Prayer against Restraint which will protect your party from paralyzing and petrifying. That should help a lot. For Prayer against Treachery you would need to reach lvl 11, sorry. Or you could use scrolls with prayers. But the anti treachery one requires 12 lore.

Damn , I need 550 exp to reach level 11 :) I ll need to kill something to reach the level............. Ok I got the idea. Seems to me priests are always a must in this game. But it is not normal that they got so many spells, I do not know which spell to cast now and which to cast later, it is too confusing sometimes. And I use him mostly to boost def and to heal usually.......... Do you use his heal? Do you use his attack spells?

• Like 1

You should use your priest as buffer for defenses (including prayer) and accuracy mainly. Healing is OK, but buffing is the best part of the priest.

The combo I would always cast is Inspiring Radiance followed by Devotions of the Faithful. +30 to ACC that stacks with other ACC buffs for the whole party is a huge advantage at the start of a battle.

I personally don't use healing a lot with a priest because I like it when chars can heal themselves with things like Veteran's Recovery and so on. And then I like it if healing abilities are spread over the party. It's too bad if your only healer gets disabled. Paladins, chanters and druids can be good healers in one way or another, too.

It's absolutely no problem to play without a priest. But it's right that they can make the game easier.

But for example there's a scroll for every prayer. You only need a guy or a gal with lore. The only prayer like things which aren't on a scroll are the (single ally) litanies against minor & major afflictions.

Edited by Boeroer

I got stuck at defeating a small army of evil spiders, trolls and mysterious female mages who stand behind and cast dominate /i.e. use my own main char against me/ !! They are located near a green stone structure in the left middle map of the map. They just own LOL.

I use the paladin's skill to debuff but then the mages charm another hero...

Plan A: get enough experience till level 11, and let Durance start with Prayer Against Treachery. Than follow with Painful Interdiction -> two Shinning Beacons -> Cleansing Flames -> two Shinning Beacons (preemptively ofc increasing his might and int as high as you can). The enemies should be dead by now, if not, your barbarian will finish them.

Plan B: let your paladin skill Liberating Exhortation AND Aegis of Loyalty (plus give him Redfield shield or Executioners Helm; check this thread to understand why). Now, charm trolls, stun/paralyze/ignore spiders, and focus fire those adragans/delemgans (they have low endurance, and their death iirc will also despawn the summoned blights)

I also had great problems with defeating the little army of giants /they had 2 druids in that group/ but I managed ****ing them using a lot of stupid kiting and 2 paladins with heavy armor. I barely managed those but

WHAT TO DO??

Plan A: Paralyze ogre frontliners, charm ogre druids. Keep your targets-to-kill disabled (stun/paralyzed) while others should be chain-charm/confused.

Plan B: Sturdy party with lots of heals.

Edited by MaxQuest

Plan C: one single chanter with The Dragon Thrashed and boots of speed, running around them in circles. ;)

Plan C2 : Chanter with dragon trashed with shield and trained with all def talents. And a priest far behind that cast some litanies/prayers, devotions, ecc ( should be able to cast 3-4 buff before die). Also if all your party get wiped out Chanter alone will do the job.