Farewell Barack Obama (If you can't say something nice...)

Guard Dog

kinda off-topic, but folks who think trump is some kinda unique nightmare should read 'bout the andrew jackson Presidency.  now to be fair, jackson did do away with a considerable washington cronyism, but folks in the fed government had much reason to believe the death o' the new American political experiment had arrived when mobs o' deplorables swept through the white house itself during the inauguration celebrations o' 1829.  

'course andrew jackson actual were popular, which makes trump a different and less dangerous creature. 

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/17/510256862/trump-polls-tweet-favorability-popular

the american people have had to suffer any number o' horrible and/or classless Presidencies.  eventually, in the distant future, we is gonna get another trump once folks forget the terrible mistake o' the 2016 election.  is almost inevitable. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If I had to write positives on Obama I'd say that he came across as the most genuinely well intentioned President I've seen, and he didn't feel that he had to double down repeatedly on the mistakes he did make. Which sounds like faint praise but is actually one of the most important characteristics a leader can have; you cannot reasonably expect there to be no mistakes made but you can minimise the damage done by them and not make them worse trying to protect your pride.

There's obviously a lot of negatives as well, but that's the nature of leading a powerful country- or being a powerful country for that matter.

This is a true and accurate post. But its belated, you should have been  honest years ago/

You see its not hard to like Obama, he really was well liked and did a good job in many places in the world and the USA

Now we have Trump and he is very unpredictable and undermines all your ideological views and certain counties 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The space program? That is the first time anyone has mentioned that.....dont you think the cost wasnt worth the other pressing issues the USA faced in 2008?

we have. numerous times. given the tone o' the thread, this is not the place for us to discuss our feelings regarding obama's gutting of nasa.

in the spirit o' the thread, we will observe how obama deserves credit for killing the absolute asinine don't ask, don't tell policy o' the us military.

kinda off-topic, but folks who think trump is some kinda unique nightmare should read 'bout the andrew jackson Presidency.  now to be fair, jackson did do away with a considerable washington cronyism, but folks in the fed government had much reason to believe the death o' the new American political experiment had arrived when mobs o' deplorables swept through the white house itself during the inauguration celebrations o' 1829.  

'course andrew jackson actual were popular, which makes trump a different and less dangerous creature. 

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/17/510256862/trump-polls-tweet-favorability-pop

the american people have had to suffer any number o' horrible and/or classless Presidencies.  eventually, in the distant future, we is gonna get another trump once folks forget the terrible mistake o' the 2016 election.  is almost inevitable. 

HA! Good Fun!

I appreciate the historical analysis of Trump going forward, it helps to ameliorate the angst for some

But I see the Trump presidency as unique .....and something we are living through. Im not saying it will be terrible or ignominious but we just don't know what he will do around some global realities or how his new advisors will impact change 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The space program? That is the first time anyone has mentioned that.....dont you think the cost wasnt worth the other pressing issues the USA faced in 2008?

we have. numerous times. given the tone o' the thread, this is not the place for us to discuss our feelings regarding obama's gutting of nasa.

in the spirit o' the thread, we will observe how obama deserves credit for killing the absolute asinine don't ask, don't tell policy o' the us military.

kinda off-topic, but folks who think trump is some kinda unique nightmare should read 'bout the andrew jackson Presidency. now to be fair, jackson did do away with a considerable washington cronyism, but folks in the fed government had much reason to believe the death o' the new American political experiment had arrived when mobs o' deplorables swept through the white house itself during the inauguration celebrations o' 1829.

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/17/510256862/trump-polls-tweet-favorability-pop

the american people have had to suffer any number o' horrible and/or classless Presidencies. eventually, in the distant future, we is gonna get another trump once folks forget the terrible mistake o' the 2016 election. is almost inevitable.

HA! Good Fun!

I appreciate the historical analysis of Trump going forward, it helps to ameliorate the angst for some

But I see the Trump presidency as unique .....and something we are living through. Im not saying it will be terrible or ignominious but we just don't know what he will do around some global realities or how his new advisors will impact change

I'll be honest, I think how the media operates is more important and will have a bigger immediate and long fetching result. I'm not saying Trump's actions and decisions will not have as much, but he has checks and balances and also the media to influence public s opinion on his actions and decisions.......whereas what do we have with the media?

Trump at least has to punch thru legislation to get change whereas the media does not.

The media actions right now if kept goingcoyld warrant limits and limitations to regulate it and take away the freedom of "free press".

Imagine what would happen for years to come if free press was regulated by the govt in what and how it could present news?

That scares me more than anything trump could push thru (barring nuclear war and etc) because our country is set up that laws and such can be changed to meet the demands of the people. But to regulate and limit something because it got outta hand.....that takes much longer to undo.

• Like 1

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/17/510256862/trump-polls-tweet-favorability-popular

HA! Good Fun!

Then again, Andrew Jackson was actually physically brave, didn't have access to near instantaneous (and unfiltered) intercontinental communication (though if he did, he probably wouldn't have fought the battle that would have propelled him into the public consciousness), and ~1500 strategic offensive warheads ready to go in 5 minutes on receipt of orders at his disposal.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I'm sorry I have to do this with Andrew Jackson

This just ****ing cements Jackson as my favorite president ever. Makes me wish I was American.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm sorry I have to do this with Andrew Jackson

This just ****ing cements Jackson as my favorite president ever. Makes me wish I was American.

And they left a of of stuff out. He was actually called Old Hickory from his military career. He was as tough and immovable as an old hickory tree. He led a militia force of just 5000 men against a force of 7500 British infantry and 600 Kings German Legion troops at the Battle of New Orleans and won. Completely won. He led the army in the Great Seminole War, pushing them from Georgia down into Florida. He was the last military commander to defeat them in battle. Then after they made peace, just for the hell of it, he took Florida from the Spanish. The city of Jacksonville in Florida is named for him. During the election of 1828 he was referred to as Jackass by his opponents and to spite them he made it his symbol. It later became the symbol for the whole Democrat Party (he was a Democrat). He is probably the first populist to be President and did a lot to help farmers and labor class folks. He empowered people other than political elites.

Today that is called Jacksonian Democracy. So you might say he is the real founder of the modern Democrat Party. At least up until 2000. Starting with Gore, then Kerry, then Obama the Democrat Party turned their backs on Jacksonian Democracy. Heck they even turned their backs on Andrew Jackson, removing him from the $20 bill in favor of Harriet Tubman.

There is another story about him, I don't know if it's true. He had a habit of walking to Blodget's Hotel down the street from the Capitol in the evenings. He's sit in the lobby and have cigars and whiskey and just talk to people. Folks with a political interest would of course try to persuade him to help their cause and this activity is where the term "lobbying" came from. I heard that on the Paul Harvey radio show a long time ago. It might be true, but it is a good story.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Today that is called Jacksonian Democracy. So you might say he is the real founder of the modern Democrat Party. At least up until 2000. Starting with Gore, then Kerry, then Obama the Democrat Party turned their backs on Jacksonian Democracy. Heck they even turned their backs on Andrew Jackson, removing him from the $20 bill in favor of Harriet Tubman.

I'd argue that it already started with Bill Clinton. Some of the things that came to bite Obama in the arse where initiated by Clinton, but many people sort of overlook it because ol' Bill was popular and the economy ran well during his terms. Well, and cigars.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.