Pictures of your Games Episode IX - The Bigger Picture

Rosbjerg

I never liked these "make everything dark, blurry, bloomy" graphic mods. I don't think it looks good, and you can't see crap anymore ingame.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

December 28th, 1984, Norwegian Sea:

nsSBoZV.jpg

"Conn, sonar, new contacts bearing 35. Designated Sierras One and Two."

"Come left to course 300, make my depth 300 ft. Maneuvering, aye."

jjoEa6Q.jpg

Oscar-class cruise missile boat. Damn, what a whale, but its SS-N-19 Shipwrecks could wreak havoc on NATO supply convoys.

I run a flanking course to the contacts to allow the more powerful TB-12 towed sonar array to track them and develop a firmer firing solution. After a few minutes gathering bearing and speed data, I manuever the boat into his baffles so they realise too late that they're under attack.

"Sierra One, bearing 300, range ten thousand yards."

"Fire point procedure, Sierra One, tubes one and three."

"Ship ready."

"Solution ready."

"Weapon ready."

"Match sonar bearing and shoot."

QlpnSqw.jpg

uWUduyf.jpg"Conn, Sonar, units are running normally."

LYwXyOb.jpg

The Mk. 48 torpedoes are wire guided, allowing mid-course updates from the launching boat against distant targets, and defeating countermeasures launched by the target. The Oscar only knows it's screwed once the fish go into acquisition mode.

yAEuCqe.jpgHe deploys a noisemaker decoy, but the torpedoes simply drive around it to resume their track of the Oscar.

mrMNV0j.jpg

The AN/WLR-9 active intercept sonar picks up the pings from the first torpedo, now emanating in a staccato-like fashion, indicating that it was close to its mark.

znNM1g4.jpg"Conn, loud explosion on the bearing of Sierra One!" Sonar SUP shouts. The second torpedo follows close behind and detonates, finishing it off, eliciting silent cheers from the Dallas' crew.

gXivcGU.jpg

The Dallas slinks away, the sonar technicians electing to take off their headphones and watching the broadband waterfall displays to monitor for pop-up contacts instead. The sounds of the imploding hull of the Oscar is hard to listen to; a morbid reminder of the grisly death waiting for some in the silent service. The Dallas streams a floating wire antenna to transmit news of positive destruction of enemy cruise missile boats.

9jjWrLP.jpg

The next day, COMSUBLANT cracks open his morning paper and chuckles softly to some good news.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 4
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I never liked these "make everything dark, blurry, bloomy" graphic mods. I don't think it looks good, and you can't see crap anymore ingame.

It's only really at night, in dungeons without light or very early morning, which I prefer to be dark and foreboding, as I'm also playing with some hardcore survival mods. It always bugged me that you could see things with perfect clarity 200m underground with no lightsources.

Fortune favors the bald.

Reinstalled Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim - I've wanted to do a rerun of both when I had better time - and with some of the great new mods, that have come out for both in the last 1-4 years.

Managed to get both of them running smoothly with a ton of mods (I don't know how that happened)

Anyway - Skyrim can, as has been said before, look pretty amazing even today.

Riverwood in a morning fog

GFlHMtY.jpg

The outer gates of Whiterun in the night.

9hPFxVB.jpg

Not convinced...

jHs0geL.jpg

Yeah, you kept firing up Skyrim's mod manager, all the time, the other day. Steam sure is a great stalking tool.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I usually try to remember to go offline when I'm testing, as I know how annoying I find the constant pop-ups. But yeah Steam is the ultimate game-stalker tool :)

Fortune favors the bald.

Do the submarines come with interior that you can walk through?

Sadly no. The only interior stuff that is modeled is the Mk. 117 fire control display and the narrowband sonar display used for classifying contacts. That said you also have authentically modeled Soviet naval tactics and doctrine courtesy of Dr. Milan N. Vego.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

It's only really at night, in dungeons without light or very early morning, which I prefer to be dark and foreboding, as I'm also playing with some hardcore survival mods. It always bugged me that you could see things with perfect clarity 200m underground with no lightsources.

I always play as a Vampire so that solves that issue from a RP perspective ;) (doesn't deal with everybody else seeing perfectly in the dark though :p)

Rejoice, I got level 20 mastery in the Hokkaido location in HITMAN!  :dancing:

ggYUIVe.jpg

I went from lev 17 to lev 20 in one playthrough of the mission, since I met 4 challenges that time around.  One of the two kills was maybe my favorite kill so far.  The best part is that I didn't even kill the target, I had someone else do it for me, and they even think it was their own idea.  Can't get a much cleaner kill than that.  This unlocks Professional Difficulty for that location.

KzoCjfj.jpg

I'm going to go to some other locations for a bit and work on raising mastery there, but eventually I'll come back to Hokkaido and attempt to silent assassin the level on Professional Difficulty.  :biggrin:

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Whoa, whoa, hold on a second here...you have to beat all these challenges (and presumably the level) to unlock higher difficulties?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Whoa, whoa, hold on a second here...you have to beat all these challenges (and presumably the level) to unlock higher difficulties?

You have to reach mastery level 20 to unlock professional difficulty, which means completing a bunch of challenges (since they give mastery xp).  You don't have to complete every single challenge, there is more xp in all the challenges for a given level than you need to get to lev 20.  But yes, you can't just start the game on professional difficulty, you need to unlock it.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

hjKApIC.jpg

I hate games that lock difficulties behind other difficulties, and it's especially garbage to do it on a Hitman game, of all game series.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I hate games that lock difficulties behind other difficulties,

I'm not a fan of locking difficulties behind lower difficulties either, but roughly 50% of games that have multiple difficulties do that (if not more).  :shrugz:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

For most games, it usually doesn't matter, though, because the higher difficulties are terrible, and offer very little in the way of making things more difficult outside of increasing the damage sponginess of enemies. If, however, the best experience comes on one of the higher difficulties (...and for Hitman, I believe it does for at least a certain segment of its players), then you'd just be shooting yourself in the foot by locking it away. So of course, that's exactly what they did.

I feel kind of insulted here.  For level 4 of this particular escalation in Sapienza they added a "wild card" which alters some mission objectives.

BVtoyVb.jpg

What are the changes you ask?  Before I had to kill 2 targets both with a sniper rifle.  Now I still had to kill both targets with a sniper rifle, only they had to be headshots.  As if I wasn't killing them with headshots before.  IO Interactive, please, what kind of sloppy rookie assassin do you think I am?  Give me a little bit of credit.  :facepalm:

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Mews :3

post-173997-0-95978500-1499805630_thumb.jpg

post-173997-0-93636500-1499805641_thumb.jpg

post-173997-0-83699200-1499805652_thumb.jpg

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Hehe

post-173997-0-99895300-1500059039_thumb.jpg

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

hjKApIC.jpg

I hate games that lock difficulties behind other difficulties, and it's especially garbage to do it on a Hitman game, of all game series.

I think that its fair on games like DMC where it would be impossible to beat a difficulty without having unlocked all the powers and upgrades beforehand.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I did it!  My greatest HITMAN accomplishment thus far.  The loadout:

8IjwNPc.jpg

The infiltration:

V884PaL.jpg

The exit (still wearing my stylish as **** Requiem suit):

wB4aRk3.jpg

The result:

Z96PM6g.jpg

Silent Assassin Suit Only on an elusive target.  I am a shadow in the night.  I am everywhere yet nowhere at the same time.  I am the inevitability of death.

• Like 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 2 weeks later...

Pyre

ele8TPV.jpg

1PmGFSx.jpg

Supergiant definitely don't disappoint in the visuals department.  FOr now the Steam Overlay is not working in the game (on Linux, at least) hence the Steam screenshot function doesn't work.  I missed a bunch of cool screenshots because of this until I realized this and started using trusty ol' Print Screen.  I'll get more screenies soon.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I cannot overstate how amazing the artwork in this game is.  Easily Supergiant's prettiest game to date.

7Lm9R2W.jpg

NYY2Kx1.jpg

SHkCK6N.jpg

r8suHKi.jpg

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸