RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

I'm not saying that there was a legitimate claim in this case; loads of organizations will send cease-and-desist notices over marks that wouldn't really be actionable if it went to court.  I'm just saying that if the site was asked to remove it with reference to Geneva Convention, it was probably someone sabre-rattling over Provision III of the Geneva Convention (or something from the 1977 update, but the wording on Prov III seemed the most likely culprit).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That would be against the 1st amendment, at least in the US.

Regardless, it's a valid issue - Red Cross symbols must carry a very specific meaning. When a soldier sees this emblem through sights of his gun, his subconscious thought must be "Red Cross, that's not a target I'm allowed to attack" as opposed to "Oh it's filled with medpacks, must shoot it before enemy can pick them all up! They could even get Berserk and everything!"

Nonetheless, the way Red Cross addresses this issue is ... Extremely questionable. First of all, I'm pretty sure ambulances should actually carry it to not be a target in general (right?), so an ambulance carrying it in a videogame should be the correct fictional depiction of reality, as opposed to medkits carrying it since medkits should not. Furthermore, it seems they just target media and products at random, without any effort put into getting the word out to prevent such occurrences in the future. It's bizarre

Project Louisiana teased by Obsidian.

Many have bet that it's Pillars of Eternity 2. It would seem to imply Edér as a returning character or even a central figure (his portrait has a stalk of wheat hanging from his mouth, and he smokes a pipe).

• Like 4
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

and I was hoping it was a LOTR RPG

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Additionally, wording of the takedown notice doesn't mention trademark protection (or does it? I've not noticed that), it mentions an international treaty. Or am I misunderstandig this entirely?

The international treaty may be a Trademark treaty rather than the GC, since the ICRC is head quartered in Geneva they'd use international agreements of trademarks if TM protection was their aim outside Switzerland.

The Geneva Convention provisions tend to have specific applications such as big P Perfidy, they're about as non trivial as it's possible to get and their infraction is a literal war crime. They won't be used to target videogames which are completely at the other end of the triviality scale. Targeting unauthorised use of trademarks or copyright material is very common though, similar to how you have 'Vintar' rather than Vintorez rifles in Stalker or Infernus rather than Diablo (double jeopardy there) cars in GTA because if you didn't you'd get a removal or licensing demand

Solution is easy enough anyway, just use the Rod of Asclepius/ Caduceus instead.

• Like 1

Project Louisiana teased by Obsidian.

Many have bet that it's Pillars of Eternity 2. It would seem to imply Edér as a returning character or even a central figure (his portrait has a stalk of wheat hanging from his mouth, and he smokes a pipe).

Meh, if it's some fantasy game again, I am out.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yeah I will pass as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In a world where like two western companies are still doing RPGs, it would seem to be irrational to pass out on any game, just because the setting does not 100% fit my taste. *shrugs*

What else to play? Either fantasy RPG or just another open world cover shooter...

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

A real wild west RPG, now that would be something I'd be really all over about. Now I am not talking about games like Red Dead... imagine Fallout or Arcanum as a true wild west experience. Something where you arent necessarily a generic genre gunslinger, but maybe a doctor or slave or whatever character. So far someone has yet to create that.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm willing to pledge as much as 40 bucks to get the reward tier that'll grant you a book with more lore. NEED MORE LORE!

Solution is easy enough anyway, just use the Rod of Asclepius/ Caduceus instead.

I'm mostly interested in how does all of this apply to uses in real situations portrayed in fiction - so red crosses are on medical tents in Battlefield 1. That'd be an accurate historical portrayal, right? And how about ambulances in games, like Prison Architect? Does Red Cross belong on an ambulance? Edited by Fenixp

I remember there was a cathedral that objected to being pictured in a game. All this is utter BS, but lawyers tend to intimidate people.

I'm actually starting to warm up to POE. I don't know that I'm ready for POE2 yet though, may be in a couple of years.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

$1000

my heart almost stopped as I saw this. you must REALLY like Obsidian RPGs, my hat's off to you, sir 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Count me in among the pass on Pillars 2 crowd.

Same here, would love something more modern though.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm mostly interested in how does all of this apply to uses in real situations portrayed in fiction - so red crosses are on medical tents in Battlefield 1. That'd be an accurate historical portrayal, right? And how about ambulances in games, like Prison Architect? Does Red Cross belong on an ambulance?

As others have said it's probably not enforceable in the sense that they'd have a slam dunk win in court, it justs costs money to defend against and would potentially be very bad PR ('violent game maker drags honourable humanitarians through court!!!') as well. On the two examples given I'd say they'd have no chance vs BF1 since it is an accurate historical depiction, but they might have a case against PA since the Red Cross is licensed for use on ambulances via countries' services, ie there's a US Red Cross organisation, a New Zealand Red Cross, an Egyptian Red Crescent etc so they could claim that licensing would be required for non historical usage. PA may also have some issues specifically because the RC tends to have problems with executions.

• Like 1

$1000

my heart almost stopped as I saw this. you must REALLY like Obsidian RPGs, my hat's off to you, sir 

I sort of did. They have made KOTOR 2, NWN2+ Expansions, FN:V and AP. Some of my favorite rpgs. Then they had people that worked on other games that I really like. An isometric rpg from these guys was a dream for me. Then, there was the possibility of adding your own NPC, but we know how that went.

I'm still a sucker and will probably give them $100.

• Like 2

Yep, you're a sucker :p I gave near 300 and feel ripped off :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra