RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Old thread here

Last posts

If the games from windows for pc were all cross platform to the Xbox 1, then that's the only way I would even think about getting a game off the windows store.

Only the xbone afaik. Eh, only games from the store I give a toss about are the Forza ones, because good racing games seem to have this tendency to be console exclusive...  :(

I know you guys will be pumped for this

csNnhgD.png

"You know, there's going to be sex, drugs, rock-n-roll... chips, dips, chains, whips... You know, your basic high school orgy type of thing. I mean, uh, I'm not talking candlewax on the nipples, or witchcraft or anything like that, no, no, no. Just a couple of hundred kids running around in their underwear, acting like complete animals." -- Weird Science

Fortune favors the bald.

Well, I can understand them being a hardliner on this issue - even in trivial matters. It should be easy enough to make a symbol that looks like the Red Cross, so everyone gets what you're referring to.

Fortune favors the bald.

Red Cross symbol was established sometimes in the second half of 18th century, and has since become a universal symbol of health and healing throughout the centuries it has existed. I would understand if the issue was universal and Red Cross wanted to keep their symbolism only associated to them while disallowing it to appear in other companies or even media - but completely arbitrarily targeting re-release (!!!) of original Doom games where the symbol has already been used for over a decade and a random Indie game (in which the symbol is displayed on a bloody ambulance. You know, where it kinda belongs.), while ignoring thousands of other games, movies, books and paintings that have used the symbol freely is ... No, I really do not understand.

(not to mention that... Y'know... Sigh)

Edit: Url to Bitly points to wikipedia, because forum software can't handle apostrophes in url.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 4

They can only address issues they know exist, so I'm guessing some geezer flagged the youtube videos or games - arbitrary? Maybe, but I also think it's fair that they respond when they do become aware.

It's meant to protect the symbol as it is now, so people don't start painting it on things in real life and endanger the actual medical personnel that use it. Laws can be inflexible, especially in cases like this with digital vs reality. But then again, I'd rather err on the side of caution here - and encourage people to simply not use it.

But yeah, it's annoying when X gets away with it, but not Y, seems unfair.

Fortune favors the bald.

They can only address issues they know exist

I don't think you can really argue ignorance here. As I said, I'd absolutely get it if Red Cross wanted its symbols to be used as little as possible to prevent their meaning from being diluted - that's fair, they were created for a very good reason and their meaning diminishing is a fair concern. However, for this argument to be applicable, pretty much entirety of Red Cross would have to ignore contemporary media for about the last 100 years.

They can only address issues they know exist, so I'm guessing some geezer flagged the youtube videos or games - arbitrary? Maybe, but I also think it's fair that they respond when they do become aware.

It's meant to protect the symbol as it is now, so people don't start painting it on things in real life and endanger the actual medical personnel that use it. Laws can be inflexible, especially in cases like this with digital vs reality. But then again, I'd rather err on the side of caution here - and encourage people to simply not use it.

But yeah, it's annoying when X gets away with it, but not Y, seems unfair.

Legally they can't stop it being used in a work of fiction. But they can harass people if they have nothing better to do.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Oh and Introversion Software had been asked to remove red crosses from their ambulance vehicle in Prison Architect by Red Cross. Because... Red Cross has nothing better to do I 'spose?

Nothing new. This already happend long time ago with NWN1 and healing kits. They had to remove red crosses from the game as well.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It's a trademark. Unenforced trademarks risk becoming generic and then lost.

Red Cross does a large amount of its fundraising through licensing the use of their emblem. They kind of need it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I would say they probably don't have to bother with petty disputes to keep the emblem.

They would in order to enforce licensing of the emblem. You're literally talking about them giving it away for free. If they let people use it freely, they can't fundraise from licensing it.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

They would in order to enforce licensing of the emblem.

I'm pretty sure that's quite simply not how the emblem works tho - Red Cross emblem, just as the two other official emblems used in this way, are protected under an international treaty, outside trademark law. What's trademarked are logos of specific organizations tied to Red Cross

(y'know, this kind of deal:

m6440080_148x192_ButtonLogo_Vertical.png

red-cross-logo.jpg

). Additionally, wording of the takedown notice doesn't mention trademark protection (or does it? I've not noticed that), it mentions an international treaty. Or am I misunderstandig this entirely?

Edited by Fenixp

The Mordheim guys decided to make me happy-ish and announced Necromunda: Underhive Wars

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-game-based-on-warhammer-40-000s-necromunda-announced

#EgoLegisSum

• Like 2

Third Nioh demo incoming this weekend for everyone that missed Alpha and Beta to get all the stuff. European version is up already, US later today, don't know about others.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/18/nioh-last-chance-trial-begins-january-21/

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/01/18/team-ninjas-ps4-action-game-nioh-gets-last-chance-trial-this-weekend/

• Like 2

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Additionally, wording of the takedown notice doesn't mention trademark protection (or does it? I've not noticed that), it mentions an international treaty. Or am I misunderstandig this entirely?

As I understand it the Geneva convention of 1882 gives specific places where the Red Cross symbol is approved to be used an only in those areas and, for the most part, granted Trademark of the symbol to the organization (excepting, in some cases, where a pre-existing trademark pre-dated ratification of the convention).  However in this case, I think the takedown was predicated on Protocol III which wasn't adopted until 2006.  This spelled out that there are only two uses of the Red Cross, Red Crescent, and Red Crystal - Protective Use (to mark medical and religious persons equipment) and Indictive Use (to show the person is a member of the organization).  All other use is forbidden as it could weaken recognition of the symbol in wartime.

So DOOM (1993) would predate Protocol III but the remake (2016) would not, for example.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The provisions of the Geneva Conventions and, where applicable, the 1977 Additional Protocols, governing prevention and repression of misuse of the distinctive emblems shall apply equally to the third Protocol emblem. In particular, the High Contracting Parties shall take measures necessary for the prevention and repression, at all times, of any misuse of the distinctive emblems mentioned in Articles 1 and 2 and their designations, including the perfidious use and the use of any sign or designation constituting an imitation thereof.

There's nothing in that wording that I can see that confines it to 'real life'.  And if their goal is to prevent the misuse of the emblem or the lack of clarity when it is used, fictional uses would have to factor into it, I'd think.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That would be against the 1st amendment, at least in the US. Edit: What they're trying to prevent here is the misuse of the symbol, like transporting terrorists in ambulances marked with a red cross.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan