Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ideal lenght for cRPG?

cRPG

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2649 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

But if the game has 100 and 200 hours and turns out to be half a turd, will you still spend all that time on it?

If I don't like game after couple hours I stop playing if I don't have before hand knowledge that it gets better after sometime. But these days I take quite little risk with games that I buy, as I seem to have quite little time to play games these days. Like I didn't even log 1000 hours last years all games combined.

• redneckdevil likes this

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

But if the game has 100 and 200 hours and turns out to be half a turd, will you still spend all that time on it?

Yes

I give you that, you're dedicated.

Hmm, I think the best length should be ... 40-50 hours ( If I do everything on my first playthrough). And if the game is very storyfocused, I would say that 30-40 hours are enough (including side quests). It's more about replayability for me. 70 hours for one playthrough are too long and mostly the hours are filled with uneventful fights or way too long marches through the gameworld.

• BrotherFerg likes this

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2345 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yes

Well then, Free to Play Asian MMOs are your dream genre. They're free, and you can spend thousands of hours with 9/10ths of a turd!

Really, I think it's mostly all about just how much of your time are you willing to let the game waste.
"But videogames are always a waste of time!"
Everything is a waste of time, which is why I prefer when I get to genuinely enjoy that waste of time through an through as opposed to having to endure half a game to get to the enjoyable bits. I do that at work.

Edited by Fenixp, 04 February 2017 - 03:00 AM.

RangerSWG

RangerSWG

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Steam:RangerSG

I prefer long games, as long as the game's good and keeps me entertained the longer the better. That said there are games in all sorts of lengths and if you want shorter games there are much more options than the handful of "big rpgs" every year. f.i. there wasn't a lengthy rpg(60-100hrs) release in 2016 if I'm not mistaken. So demanding shorter games from CDPR, OBS, Beth etc. seems greedy to me.

This might be a point of debate between the younger generation and the older one. Once you have a 9 to 5, a family and all the other obligations, your time becomes very valuable. Rather than play a 60 hour game that's been padded with grinding and meaningless collectibles, I would much rather have a shorter game that really delivers. Since it is very likely that I won't finish the former but will definitively enjoy the latter.

Interesting, maybe I'm strange in this one: I'm 7-4 working, have a wife and obligations, but I still love being able to invest a hundred hours+ in a game like Witcher 3, Europa Universalis, or Football Manager (though not as much this year's version). If the game supports the weight of its ambition, then I have no problem following it all the way through. If it doesn't, then I do find at my age than I'm less willing to endure dross. Goes for my reading too. Used to be I'd finish every book no matter how poor as a matter of economic utility. Now I have no interest in throwing good time after poorly spent money. 

• Mamoulian War likes this

daveyd

daveyd

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've found that most of my favorite CRPGs of recent years have been on the relatively short side. For ex: HBS Shadowrun games, Expeditions: Viking, and Age of Decadence.  All pretty short, especially Age of Decadence, though that game in particular has a great deal of replay value.   And I played through all of those games a few times. 

That said, I'm not sure that the reason I like them is any way related to them being shorter.  Perhaps it is connected in the sense that the developers took a quality over quantity approach (I found those games had less "filler content" than many other RPGs I've played), but then I would have been thrilled if any of those games had expansion DLC released (as long as the quality of the base game was maintained). 

A longer CRPG that I enjoyed was Dead State though it did tend to get a bit repetitive at times but still I enjoyed it enough to play it to completion which is something I can't say for many longer RPGs. 

• ShadySands likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3207 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Hard to say because it depends on the game or rather the sub-genre of the game thereof in question.

I've played some 15 hour indie rpg's with more depth and better writing than a 60 hour infinity engine game. I'll refrain from giving names to prevent an argument but those who have played indie rpg's woll know what I'm talking about.

I think a huge fall of both older (classic) and new (modern) rpg's is that nearly every one of them is either a fetch quest, a grind-fest or pumped with some filler nonsense. That's all eliminated with hyper-focused indie rpg's though. I guess there's a huge difference in quality and passion when you're a small company with no money striving to make a great game vs a AAA large budget company like 90's Bioware. The small company will always do better.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cRPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users