the greatest show on earth

Gromnir

closed for business

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-ringling-bros-circus-shutting-down-20170114-story.html

kids can still run off and join a circus, but they cannot run away to join the circus.  end of an era.  maybe a good thing?  animal rights activists will no doubt applaud.  dunno.  we first saw the ringling bros circus at the original madhouse on madison back in the early 70s.  the event were pretty spectacular for a kid from the rez.

oh well.

Screen-shot-2012-03-09-at-11.45.41-AM.pn

HA! Good  Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I remember going to Circus World in Orlando FL as a kid. It's hard not to be nostalgic about the things that we loved as children but to tell the truth I'm not sure how much appeal it has in the modern world. Animal abuses aside, a "spectacle" used to be a pretty rare thing and the different and interesting foods and exhibits were all new experiences to kids during the 1900's. Now? There it nothing to see or do that is beyond the reach of your finger tips and the entertainment value of things like a circus is nowhere near what it once was. I guess all things fade eventually. 

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Now? There it nothing to see or do that is beyond the reach of your finger tips and the entertainment value of things like a circus is nowhere near what it once was. I guess all things fade eventually. 

what is terrible is how some folks will never realize what is lost.  as a southerner, am expecting gd has experienced a college football game day, yes? watch a college football game or baseball game at the actual sporting venue is not the same as watching on tv or via internet.  in fairness, is not always better to watch spectacles live and in-person, but such entertainments is different when experienced direct.  live entertainment offers a whole range o' sights and sounds and smells and Scale not capable o' replication via any kinda media. and like it or not, as social primates, a spectacle experienced as a group o' thousands touches 'pon some primitive part o' our ape brains. is different. 

perhaps all things do fade, but we can nevertheless feel diminished.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Now? There it nothing to see or do that is beyond the reach of your finger tips and the entertainment value of things like a circus is nowhere near what it once was. I guess all things fade eventually. 

what is terrible is how some folks will never realize what is lost.  as a southerner, am expecting gd has experienced a college football game day, yes? watch a college football game or baseball game at the actual sporting venue is not the same as watching on tv or via internet.  in fairness, is not always better to watch spectacles live and in-person, but such entertainments is different when experienced direct.  live entertainment offers a whole range o' sights and sounds and smells and Scale not capable o' replication via any kinda media. and like it or not, as social primates, a spectacle experienced as a group o' thousands touches 'pon some primitive part o' our ape brains. is different. 

perhaps all things do fade, but we can nevertheless feel diminished.

HA! Good Fun!

Oh no argument there. Especially your College Football example. I've found the NFL to be a lot more antiseptic as a live event compared to College ball. Whatever "it" is the college ball has, the NFL doesn't. Some things just have to be experienced live.

I remember being so excited when a circus or fair of some kind was around. I grew up near a little town in Florida called McIntosh. They had a huge two day festival every year called 1890 Days for when the town was founded. It was very cool, period costumes, crafts, exhibits, a parade, all this great food and stuff like that. I loved it. My brother still lives there and told me they stopped doing it a few years ago because not enough people showed up the cover the costs.  That broke my heart when I heard that.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I feel like Cirque Du Soleil productions surpassed traditional circuses awhile back. A big part of it is the reputation they've gotten for animal abuse. Really the whole idea of wild animals performing seems to be going out of style, and I'm not too choked up about that. I can't imagine taking my kids to a circus with what we've learned about they way they are run.

I did take my kids to see a Dolly Parton show called Dixie Stampede, and they were mesmerized. But that is horses and livestock.

Edited by Hurlshot

This is a bummer to see. :( My mother took me to this circus and Ive taken my kid. My favorite part was the dual-tightrope walking tigers.

I feel like Cirque Du Soleil productions surpassed traditional circuses awhile back.

Speaking of which, we caught Love this most recent trip to Vegas and it was outstanding.

• Like 2

****. I'm so glad I got to take my kids to The circus a few years back when they were young but not to young to not pay attention. They had a blast and were very entertained. Me and the woman was also very entertained as well. It was a great show. Sadly a very short time afterwards one of the people fell and died.

This is sad news in a way. Great memories but really it's like the fair, overpriced and not really an interest in them anymore. One of the many drawbacks of the transition of the modern age into the digital age

closed for business

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-ringling-bros-circus-shutting-down-20170114-story.html

kids can still run off and join a circus, but they cannot run away to join the circus.  end of an era.  maybe a good thing?  animal rights activists will no doubt applaud.  dunno.  we first saw the ringling bros circus at the original madhouse on madison back in the early 70s.  the event were pretty spectacular for a kid from the rez.

oh well.

Screen-shot-2012-03-09-at-11.45.41-AM.pn

HA! Good  Fun!

I was watching this development on CNN. It does seem sad that an event that has been in operation for over 100 years is now closing and as the article mentioned the main reason is they dropped the live elephant act from the show and the overall ticket sales are down.....is it cruelty to animals to have a live elephant act? I am no expert so I am reticent to comment  :blink:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

u0MHTV0.jpg

:lol:

No dude thats just wrong

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I was watching this development on CNN. It does seem sad that an event that has been in operation for over 100 years is now closing and as the article mentioned the main reason is they dropped the live elephant act from the show and the overall ticket sales are down.....is it cruelty to animals to have a live elephant act? I am no expert so I am reticent to comment  :blink:

The cruelty to animals charge comes from the use of a bullhook in training (which IIRC is a hold over from training of elephants in India) paired with the need to separate young animals from mothers as part of training.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The cruelty to animals charge comes from the use of a bullhook in training (which IIRC is a hold over from training of elephants in India) paired with the need to separate young animals from mothers as part of training.

Good points raised, that does sound cruel 

John Milton