Is there any plans on making skull & shackles

Hey there

Questions and responses by Flounder from the Dev Blog:

http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/8/entry-199-pathfinder-adventures-whats-next/

Is the PC release of Pathfinder Adventures the next big ticket piece of functionality after AD6?

-F: Yes.

If so, should we temper our expectations regarding new content (Skull and Shackles for example) to not be available until after the PC version is released?

-F: Definitely temper the expectations. We are still determining what is after PC.

• Like 1

Still would be very nice to have the 3 others big boxes having the same treatment', would pay serious €€ for that.

Regarding the pc version, I find tablets much better for card game and peeps can already play using an android emulator, the only reason I would buy it would be a VR version similar to the ascension one which is really cool.

Edited by etien

I'd be really surprised if there were no further adaptations of the card game. I could be wrong, but once a stable game-framework is in place, adding new Adventures should be relatively easy. The majority of cards, locations and other whatnots can be fit into the game as it is without too much effort, I'd think. The creative development has already been done by Paizo, although there is room for Obsidian to adjust S&S based on user-criticism from the tabletop players since then. Barring a sufficiently large licensing fee from Paizo, it should be easy to turn a reasonably good profit on this.

That being said, I suspect it is further down the list. Quest Mode (or some other 'endless' mode alternative) probably warrants a look first. As does the bugfixing and, of course, the PC release. So I don't know about it happening anytime soon, but I'd be surprised if it didn't happen.

I'd be really surprised if there were no further adaptations of the card game. I could be wrong, but once a stable game-framework is in place, adding new Adventures should be relatively easy.

"Relatively easy" is very relative.  

Even if all Obsidian needed to do was add ships to the game, distilling a thousand new cards into binary logic and making sure the game knows how to handle them might take some time.  You have to think of each card, location, or power as its own little program.  Some are simple to implement (e.g. Boots of Elvenkind), and others can be rather complex (e.g. Mending or Ogrekin).

What kills the QA guys, and occasionally us, is that it is really hard to describe the texts of cards or powers into something that app will correctly interpret 100% of the time.  The physical version of Pathfinder ACG relies quite heavily on human judgement to parse text and sort out rules conflicts.

Maybe we'll luck out and a potential S&S release will have a public beta.   :)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

My two cents.... I'd say skip the PC version. I no longer play PC or console games at all---I play games on my iPad or phone instead. I think there are more and more people who are playing games in this way every day. I can tell you that I'd easily pay $25 for S&S on the iPad or phone on day 1.....even with just 1 adventure deck!

This is hands down the best game I've played on tabletop OR in electronic form. Keep going with what works OBSIDIAN!!

• Like 4

My two cents.... I'd say skip the PC version. I no longer play PC or console games at all---I play games on my iPad or phone instead. I think there are more and more people who are playing games in this way every day. I can tell you that I'd easily pay $25 for S&S on the iPad or phone on day 1.....even with just 1 adventure deck!

This is hands down the best game I've played on tabletop OR in electronic form. Keep going with what works OBSIDIAN!!

Speak for yourself! :)

Though I'm getting along fine playing it on my PC with Leapdroid (RIP). Thankfully I bought it before Google snapped them up. Definitely the best emu.

We've been looking all the other boxes.  I think Ethics Gradient did a pretty good summary of the issues.

The folks at Paizo and Loneshark have gotten even better at making the card box as they have continued along.  That means that there is more likely to be a 1:1 translation from physical to digital in the later boxes.

So some day there might be Skull & Shackles...Or maybe Mummy's Mask.

Hell, they might let us go crazy and do Rasputin Must Die!

Probably not, but we can dream.

• Like 6

Thanks for the realistic answer Flounder. I think it's obvious that the app presents technical challenges.

FWIW any new boxes are an instant buy from me (well as long as they're priced like Runelords). Going to view the PC version a bit as a disguised Kickstarter and grab a copy

Aw, pound sand, Flounder, ya bastard! Tell your bosses to get to crackin' on the next boxed set. It wouldn't be an Obsidian game if it weren't a brilliant game plagued by bugs anyway. I seriously hope that we get more content from you guys soon. I'm a real sucker, so I'll be alongside Chris buying the steam version, but I would really much rather drop my coin on Skulls and Shackles.

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

• 5 months later...

I just completed the game on normal mode and am working on Heroic and Legendary. I'm playing on a PC and I am already DYING to see the other Adventure Paths on the computer. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

That being said, I would love to see some quest systems and things added to the game for replayability as after I complete the game on legendary I'm going to get bored quick. 

• Like 1

If you didn't play the mobile version, you may be unaware of the quest mode they implemented for it. It had randomly generated scenarios, and replaced the progression mechanic with an experience point system.