Origin Of Your Name And Avatar

Mr. Teatime

Because I'm bored.... what is the origin of your name you choose on here, and the avatar you use?

Origin of name: Mr. Teatime is from a Terry Pratchett book (comic fantasy), he was a mad assassin who devised plans to kill mythical figures such as Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, and Death. I thought the name, and the background, was pretty interesting and wierd.

Origin of Avatar: It's the front cover of my favourite album, Pleased to Meet You, by a British band called James. Every track on that album seems relevant to me whenever I hear it, and the cover fits really well with the theme and content of the album.

Everyone else?

I've been using the Phosphor name for a few years now, since I was involved in the electro/industrial/whatever music scene. Picked it up as a phosphor was a sort of demon or light-bringer in Greek myth and I like the word. I can also claim to be illuminating if I'm feeling particularly sarcastic.

phos

newlogo.gif

Balthamel is a bad guy from Wheel of Time. I picked that name originally, because it sounded kinda cool. I later added the 'a'. Nowadays I am sort of ashamed of the connetion, I wouldn't like to be reminded of, much less associated with WoT, but no other screen name feels right. I am too used to this one.

As for my avatar, I have been using a picture of an owl on various forums for a while. The one I normally use doesn't look good in this size, so I picked another one.

My name has 2 origins.

THe first is that i had a cat named MERLin (he died in September; I still cry constantly) and a dog named LANCElot. I decided on the name when I got my first decent computer at Christmas of 1996, and I needed a screenname for AOL (Ive since moved on; MSN in 1999, and when my obligatory 3 years of that was up, to Road Runner in 2002).

So, I still use the name because Ive been using it forevor. I use the same name for everything. Message boards, IRC, AIM, yahoo, ICQ... all of it.

The second origin, which I picked up in 1998 or 1999 was an acronym. M.E.R.L.A.N.C.E. however I dont recall what it was. If I looked, I could probably find it.

Of course, Ive had to operate under aliases in the past. Two of those would be "jedikidboy" and "emperorMike".

I Dont have an avatar here yet, but Ill find something soon.

Kharn is "the great immortal champion of Khorne" or some-such-what from Warhammer 40k, "spiller of blood", "slayer of innocents" and so on and so forth. Warhammer 40k holds no interest for me, but I once picked up a booklet with stories of Kharn at God-knows-where and they intrigued me. Henceforth and thusly

The avatar is a scan from my Greek text booklet, (which containted the entire Oddyssee in Attic Greek for me to translate ;) ). It's a photo of a Roman replicate of an original Greek statue of the Kykloop (or Cyclops)

inXile line producer

Deganawida (or "Degandawida", or "Deganawidah") was a Huron prophet who, along with a Mohawk named Hy-ent-wat-wa (Hiawatha, the historical, not the literary) founded what is now known as the Iroquois Confederacy, which is the longest-running representative government in the world today. The Confederacy was originally composed of five nations: the Mohawk, Oneida, Seneca, Cayuga, and Onondaga. After European settlers landed en masse in the NE U.S., the Tuscarora petitioned for membership and were added in. The Iroquois had a constitution which formed, in part, the basis for the U.S. Constitution, and they were successful merchants, and also had many rights for their people that didn't enter Western Society until the last century. As I am Oneida, I adopted Deganawida's name as my name for internet purposes, in honor of this great visionary.

I can't get my avatar to upload yet, but it's a picture of my daughter Maggie, who was born last Monday. I'm a very proud papa.

Fionavar: From Guy Gavriel Kay's, The Fionavar Tapestry. I think I have used this nick now for ... 6 years? Maybe longer, but I think 6 is about right.

Avatar ... Back to BIS and I think maybe even the original IPLY boards WAY BACK in the DAY ;) I've been green so long, I don't even notice anymore.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

My nick meant originally "screwdriver" in finnish. Then i shortened it and putted little "z" here and there. Nowdays it doesen't mean anything but i like it ;)

Avatar is from Hellsing offcourse. Who wouldn't recognize it?

My character name is from my fave pnp character. I'm no god so I have no avatar, sorry.

Feh. All the archdevils and demon princes have avatars as well.

As for my alias, it is unfortunately linked to Sammael of Wheel fo Time, one of the Chosen of the Dark One (i.e. bad guys) and a great general of times long gone. To separate myself more fully from that character, I often use the title "Duke of Baator" or change the alias itself to "Duke Sammael."

Historically, Sam(m)ael is one of the names medieval Hebrew scripts attribute to Satan, although there is much debate whether or not they are the same entity. Sammael is the only fallen angel that is both hated and loved at the same time, beautiful to behold but terrible in his wrath. He is the angel of retribution and war, but also of truth and knowledge. There are several apocryphal texts that mention Sammael, although they are not parts of the "official" Bible.

The avatar is from a picture of a pit fiend (the highest-ranking non-noble baatezu) standing victorious on a pile of dead adventurers, by Wayne Reynolds, one of the principal D&D 3(.5)E artists.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Halewyn comes from an old dutch ballad. His hobbies were hunting, singing, and murdering young maidens. Unfortunately, his last victim didn't much care for being killed, so she chopped his head off.

"Heer Halewyn zong een liedkyn..." Bad memories of even worse literature lessons <_<

As for my name, I picked it up when I started writing on IP's Golden Way roleplaying board, and it was there to stay. Nothing too much interesting, though.

My avatar is a different story. I was referenced to as a brontosaurus on another forum after I placed my photo on it, since I seemed to have a rahter long neck on that one. Being the man that I am, I saw the humour of it, and took a picture of a brontosaurus as my avatar.

Avatar is from Hellsing offcourse. Who wouldn't recognize it?

*raises hand*

This thread is really interesting, definately the best one of the forums thus far. Hopefully it keeps going as new people join. Might even be a good sticky for the WOT forum.

newlogo.gif

Are first SW geek! :D Kidding.

anyways, kumquat is a fruit (yes, have a good laugh at my expense)

I tacked on q3 one day because the name kumquat was taken on AIM. The avatar, I like the show Alias, but it was basically what was handy at the time. It kinda stuck.

The name is based off Odin's main sword attack in Final Fantasy 8. It had one of the best representations of Odin in the entire series to me, and Zantetsuken roughly translates to "iron cutting sword". Its one of the three main names i use on the net.

The avatar is from Caleb, from Blood 2.