Origin Of Your Name And Avatar

Mr. Teatime

Yeah, I'm also creative :)

Mine is my first name and then the initials of my middle name and surname.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well mine is based off the main bad guy from the old "The Young Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" film...  Maybe that's telling psychologically.

But the thing was the character used it both ways  Raithe and Ehtiar depending on whether he was playing his "good person of society" or "evil villain mastermind".  I liked the sound and the way it reversed and have pretty much used it for years.

As to the avatar picture, that's a section of one of the Mutants and Masterminds RPG book covers.. Hm, again, possibly telling.  :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I could have sworn we had one of those threads many years ago???

Anyway, 'Gorth' is about 30 years old as a nickname. It was originally a name picked at semi-random from the appendix of a Lords of the Rings book (don't remember which one anymore, it had a name index and glossary at the back). It was originally 'Gorthaur', but then one of my friends asked "How do you pronounce that?" and I had no clue (the idea being about 30 minutes old at the time). With usual pragmatism, I just decided to chop off a lot of syllables until the name became pronouncable :)

I had originally put aside a greek helmet for an avatar when creating this account. That was until I saw the member number the forum had assigned me, so I decided to go looking for something slightly more sinister looking. Found this skull gif somewhere and resized it in in one of those Adobe products that could work with animated gifs (converting it to a sequence of still images, batch resizing and re-combine to a new animation).

I've stuck with the image since.

Huh, so you ARE ancient then.

Mine is obvious, and I change avatars often, of late has been 40k artwork.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Amentep was the name of golden-age superhero Ibis the Invincible. The character was somewhat based on Universal's Boris Karloff staring film, The Mummy, so I'm using an avatar from the poster for that film. No avatar changing everyday as in my past on other boards...

Well since 2004 I've used the same username but have changed my avatar a whole lot. Just not everyday. ;)

Currently, its 1920s actress Louise Brooks.

louisebrooks3.jpg

...jus' cuz I havna bumped an ol' thread in awhile, an' there be alot o' new peoples 'ere since '04, have at 'er, kiddies... :biggrin:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

You could have at least quoted your old post while you were at it explaining your username... :p

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You could have at least quoted your old post while you were at it explaining your username... :p

...bah...let 'em look fer it in 'ere if'n theys wanna know...hehehe...;)

...oh, an' me avvie is back ta me first custom one I's used on the ol' Isle; Masked Undertaker from '95...always matched me personality...:p

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

My preferred nick at the time was taken. So was my alternate. And the other alternate. And the other.

So I tossed up my hands and put a color after "Lady," figuring that wouldn't be taken. But it was. And the next color. And the next.

But this one, finally, wasn't! :p

...my avatar changes periodically, there's no origin for those except "I liked it/it's cute."

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't think Ive ever changed my avatar and I have it because I think it looks cool. The Gfted1 nick is because Im so great. :lol:

...not that yer tootin' yer own horn or anythin', right lad...hehehe...now alls we needs be a Volo visit ta tell ya ta stop spreadin' myths, rumors, & innuendo...hehehe... :p

Edited by Sargallath Abraxium

Yeats. I like the poem and I'm terrible at inventing nicks.

I drew and animated the avatar for the nickname, obviously showing the Drowsy Emperor moving the moon while asleep. 

I prefer your rap name, RPGMaster Boo.

I don't think Ive ever changed my avatar and I have it because I think it looks cool. The Gfted1 nick is because Im so great. :lol:

...not that yer tootin' yer own horn or anythin', right lad...hehehe...now alls we needs be a Volo visit ta tell ya ta stop spreadin' myths, rumors, & innuendo...hehehe... :p

While I do have quite a high opinion of myself, the little laughy face at the end was intended to add humility.

...jus' givin' ya a hard time, lad...relax...:p

For the record I should like to point out that when they ask if this is the man, Gfted1 is the man. He burps Grammy-winning music, and sweats sunshine.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sweating sunshine might be a disadvantage when trapped in a dark dungeon full of monsters ... but otherwise, it sounds pretty cool. :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

...hopefully he dunna sweat too much when he be...well, ya know...otherwise, his partner may git blinded or burned...that'd suck...:p

...jus' givin' ya a hard time, lad...relax... :p

Im not tense.

For the record I should like to point out that when they ask if this is the man, Gfted1 is the man. He burps Grammy-winning music, and sweats sunshine.

Blerg, Sunday I felt like I was sweating out tequila.

Sweating sunshine might be a disadvantage when trapped in a dark dungeon full of monsters ... but otherwise, it sounds pretty cool. :biggrin:

But useful for the coming vampire apocalypse.

Oh and you are! I love you....

GM is just my initials. Used it since the good ol' Black Isle days when I couldn't think of anything else. Way too shy back then to be creative or clever.

My avatar is because some real life friends thought it looked like me... except my hair is not quite so reddish, truly. And my cowgirl hat is way better. :D

I was coaching my softball team when I said practice was over at such-and-such a time. A bunch of the other guys still wanted to practice. I said that was fine but I was leaving. They asked why. I told them that I just discovered this hilarious show on Spike called "Most Extreme Elimination Challenge" It's some Japanese game show with funny English dubs.

After that, I became Babaganoosh, because every episode had someone with the last name Babaganoosh. Plus, I wear the number 13 whenever possible. Usually I have to wait for my second jersey with a team to get it.

My avatar, is Randy handing Stan the Sword of 1,000 Truths. Seemed fitting here. Otherwise I'm usually Vault Boy Punga Power or Loghain Mac Tir.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Yeats. I like the poem and I'm terrible at inventing nicks.

I drew and animated the avatar for the nickname, obviously showing the Drowsy Emperor moving the moon while asleep. 

I prefer your rap name, RPGMaster Boo.

It was a phase man, give me a break  :biggrin:

But RPGMaster Boo is really da lvl cap, in the world of role playing nicknames.

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Oh and you are! I love you....

GM is just my initials. Used it since the good ol' Black Isle days when I couldn't think of anything else. Way too shy back then to be creative or clever.

My avatar is because some real life friends thought it looked like me... except my hair is not quite so reddish, truly. And my cowgirl hat is way better. :D

And back in the days of BIS we all thought it meant "Game Master" and you were like a hardcore DM (not to be confused with DM who was a DM). ;)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Kinda surprised that I never posted in this thread, but it looks like the last post before Sargy's massive necro bump was a couple weeks before I joined. That's what I get for staying over on the Interplay forums for another 6 months after Obsidian opened.

My username was just something I made up back in 2001. I needed to get an e-mail address to sign up for the Black Isle forum and this was the name I created to go with it. I wanted something that was pronounceable, but there wasn't much consideration of the name beyond that. It went on to become the name for my first PnP character and I've used it for just about everything ever since then.

I actually briefly went by the name "D'aler'iao" on Black Isle (because apostrophes make names cooler!) but that was reverted to Deraldin when everyone had their screen names reverted to the account name they signed up with.

As for the avatar, I've used this one since just before Alpha Protocol was released. Someone was making up a bunch of avatars with the Alpha Protocol text and I grabbed this one from the list. I used the Salamando image from my sig before that because Secret of Mana is awesome and Salamando is best spirit.