When to savage cards?

For the cards coming from treasures, which is the limit number of cards that will be carried to an adventure?

I have 6 copies of some cards, does this mean the odds of getting these cards is a lot higher?

Is there any limit?

Good questions!  It takes a little understanding of how treasure cards work to determine whether or not you should bother savaging a card.  More often than not, it is fine to leave things as they are, unless you have a preposterous quantity of a single card, or just want to cash out cards for gold.

I posted this before during AD4, but it is still a good example of how things work.  

Here's a mostly-accurate example of what's going on behind-the-scenes:    

Running a "full" party on AD4/Tier4, expect about 100 of your treasure cards get randomly mixed in with all the regular campaign cards before the location decks are dealt. However, that's not 100 out of all your treasure cards, it is up to 20 each from AD0 through your current Adventure Deck (AD4, in this example).

You could have an absurd number of Smiths or Menagerie Keepers, but it will only screw up the treasure probabilities at the AD0 and AD1 level.  This method certainly won't guarantee a perfect distribution, but it is a simple way to ensure that having a ton of one card won't wreck the chances of seeing every other treasure card [i.e. It will just wreck the chances of seeing other treasure cards at that AD level].

There appears to be no upper limit that you are likely to reach concerning card quantities.  I've heard reports of 300+ copies of a card, so programming-wise, the "true" maximum may be in the neighborhood of 65,000, but is probably higher.  The vault graphics will probably glitch out before you hit the technical card limit. 

However, no matter how many of a card you have, just remember that treasure cards are randomly chosen for play by AD.  It provides a small safeguard that you will still see other treasure cards even if you happen to have a silly quantity of one or two.

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 1

What I never figured out is what's up with that card count in the upper right corner of the Card Vault. I'm at 1280/1315, for example - is there an upper limit to the total number of cards you can have in the vault? And what happens when you reach it?

Edited by Thyraxus

What I never figured out is what's up with that card count in the upper right corner of the Card Vault. I'm at 1280/1315, for example - is there an upper limit to the total number of cards you can have in the vault? And what happens when you reach it?

The first number is obviously the total number of cards you own, while I believe the second number is # of cards you own + each treasure card you don't own.

Edited by ylvglo

PFID-141DBD51FD7F535C

The first number is obviously the total number of cards you own, while I believe the second number is # of cards you own + each treasure card you don't own.

Close.  The problem is that display is somewhat meaningless due to how the numbers are calculated.  In Thyraxus' example:

1280/1315

1280 = (total # of RoTR cards, incl. duplicates) + (total number of treasure cards you own, incl. dupes)

1315 = (total # of RoTR cards, incl. duplicates) + (total number of treasure cards, one each)

Since treasure cards are counted slightly differently for each of those numbers, it is really easy to get into a situation where it says something like 1400/1315 and it leaves the user wondering how they have more cards than they're supposed to.

If you open 100 treasure chests, that addition of ~375 new cards makes it appear you are over 100%, but still somehow missing a ton of treasure cards.  Without proper context, that display can be confusing.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the numbers on the bottom of the screen!

[Cards Visible In This View] / [ (RoTR cards, incl. dupes) + (Treasure Cards you own, incl. dupes) + (Treasure Cards you don't own, one each) ]

A little more straightforward, but also confusing in that the numbers are calculated differently than above.

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 1

Assume that

I found 5 iterations of a new boost found in treasury chests.

I have currently 3 party running, they own all together 3 iterations of this given boost in various desks.

Can I salvage more than 2 ( I shouldn't ) Would the game let me do that? If so what's happen the next time I continue of the previous party? It will be replaced by a default basic card? Or get regenerated by magic?

I fell like salavging some cards to reduce the proportion of new cards in the location decks, but don't want to kill my existing player decks

Thanks again for your great implementation,

Edited by etien

From my experience i guess,

when you have more iterations of a treasure card in one active group than you own the first character(s) keep the card,

for the rest you have to choose a new boon.

Having the same treasure card in different groups shouldn't be a problem.

For when I Salvage:

Cards i don't like I only keep one copy for completing the collection.  (looking at you Vicious Greataxe)

most Cards I keep two copies around.

Cards that I like or are really good I keep all the copies I expect to use at the same time.

Blessings I keep all the copies I got so far.