Differences between the card game and the app?

Hey all,

Been playing the app game for a couple of months now pretty regular, so when the card game popped up on sale at my local shop I figured I'd grab it and take it for a spin.  We haven't had our first game yet, but reading through the rules I noticed a couple of things which are either different, or else I'd never figured them out in the app:

In defeating a bane with multiple tests, another character at your location can make some of the checks, as long as the character whose turn it is makes at least one of them.  (Does this work in the app too?  I need to go check, but it hasn't come up yet...)

If a character dies in the card game, they lose all of their progression from previous adventures.

Any other major differences I should know about?

In defeating a bane with multiple tests, another character at your location can make some of the checks, as long as the character whose turn it is makes at least one of them.  (Does this work in the app too?  I need to go check, but it hasn't come up yet...)

Yes.  When you multiple characters in the same location a "Checkbox" looking icon will appear in the top middle of the screen.  That allows you to pass off one of the checks.  Sorry, I don't have a pic right now, but i'll try and find one.

If a character dies in the card game, they lose all of their progression from previous adventures.

Turn on Permadeath at the party management screen and you'll have a similar experience.

A handful of cards were modified due to paizo's wishes, or just didn't adapt well to digital.  Scroll down to the bottom of Aarik's post to see the consolidated list of modified cards.

There is no manual removal of basic and elite cards the same way it is implemented in the tabletop game.  There is a system to gradually and automatically remove those cards as you move up in AD instead.

The game recently added character alternates as IAPs.  They are stat-tweaked versions of the existing characters that allow you to play them a little more differently.

[i'll keep adding stuff as I remember it]

Edited by Ethics Gradient

In the card game, you can't replay a scenario that you successfully completed like you can in the app. Meaning you can't return to farm for boons you missed.

Also, you can't mix characters from several parties in card game... party which start AP is the party that finishes it unless someone dies (but that character is replaced by a newly created character, not a preexisting one).

Also, a lot of terminology changed between Rise of the Runelords and Skulls & Shackles so depending on which AP you bought game could look a lot different. Game could also look different visually since spells and items got graphic redesign for S&S.

Nice.  Thanks for that.  Hadn't seen the list down the bottom of Aarik's post.

I picked up the Rise of the Runelords box, so it all looks pretty similar so far.  Not sure how many of the many many expansions I'll be up for, but we'll give it a go and see how we like it.

The most annoying change (for me, of course) that they made in the digital version is that you always have to try to acquire every boon you encounter. Yes, you can pick a worse stat for your check but sometimes it does not save you from acquiring some terrible card unwillingly. 

In the card game you can just banish a boon to the box instead of making a check to aquire. Some people will tell you that every boon is always a good news but in our physical group we reject cards really often, that's just our playstyle and I miss it in the digital. It is sometimes annoying to have some stupid potion in your hand, and if you discard it then it can be healed back into your deck eventually. We only want the good stuff! 

Edited by magniTT
  • Like 2