Split the 11 characters into 3 balanced parties

How would you go about splitting the 11 characters into 2 parties of 4 and 1 party of 3 so that every group was well balanced.

This seems the obvious way to split up the casters so there is a balance of divine and arcane magic in each group:

1) Ezren/Kyra

2) Seoni/Lini

3) Lem/Seelah

After that it gets more difficult...

Look at it this way:

You have three front-line fighters - Valeros, Seelah, Amiri.

You have 2 full divine casters - Kyra, Lini, and 2 who have a greater or lesser degree of divine casting - Lem, Seelah

You have 2 arcane casters - Ezren, Seoni - and one who can cover both - Lem

You have 3 dex characters who can cover barriers and barrier evasion if kitted properly - Merisiel, Harsk, Sajan

So, you need one from each pot

Valeros, Kyra, Ezren, Merisiel (classic Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue, although if you want to play RoTR with the characters shipped with the original P&P campaign, swap Ezren for Seoni)

Amiri, Lini, Seoni, Harsk

and Lem (who can cover Arcane and Divine), Seelah, Sajan,

You might swap Sajan for Harsk or Meri in the last party - as a Sajan fan I don't subscribe to the view he's underpowered, but he's not necessarily easy to play, and that final party might be a little tricky as it will probably play a little differently. although by the time you get to AD4, all members of the party ought to be able to repeatably heal themselves (Assuming you take Drunken Master and give Sajan Potions of Healing) which will make that party very robust.

I made such division once, and ended up with:

1) Ezren, Lini, Valeros, Harsk (arcane, divine, melee, ranged)

2) Seoni, Kyra, Amiri, Merisiel (arcane, divine, melee, ranged)

3) Lem, Seelah, Sajan (arcane/divine + ranged, melee, ranged)

The main idea was to optimize boons - that means, split them in a way that (almost) no good boon would go to spoil. The last group, with only 3 members, obviously wasn't so efficient at that (specially since Sajan has mainly items and blessings in his deck)...

Cheers!

Mauricio

Edited by MauGibrin
  • Like 1

Thank you both for the advice.

I think I will go:

1) Ezren, Kyra, Amiri, Sajan

2) Seoni, Lini, Valeros, Merisel

3) Lem, Seelah, Harsk

Changes were made for the following reasons:

* There is one heavy armor and one light armor person in each group.

* Sajan is with Ezren to balance out his lack of blessings

* I like Seelah's and Harsk's synergy in card peeking.

Problems are:

* No Diplomats in group 1.

* 2 ranged weapon users in group 3.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I think the only change I would make is to move Valeros from party 2 to party 3.

Party 1 - Kyra is also a great blessings battery for Ezren, especially if you get Favorite of Sarenrae. Four characters in this party also means Ezren's ability to burn through locations with lots of magic cards is more valuable and Amiri is less likely to be bothered by burying cards.

Party 2 - Once Lini gets animal trick upgraded a bit then she becomes awesome at closing any location which requires a non-combat check, so she can cover any deficits in a three character party. She's also good at healing, which Seoni may appreciate. Seoni and Merisiel are both powerful combat characters in my experience, so there should be no problems there. The only drawbacks I see is that the party may be weak at the start (before Lini gets power feats and Seoni gets more spells) and the very last scenario may be more difficult.

Party 3 - If you have Seelah and Harsk together to constantly peek, then Lem is either with them (Harsk's power is wasted) or on his own (Lem's power is wasted). If you pair Lem with Valeros then they can be boosting each other with d4s while Harsk also helps them out with another d4. This party is probably the weakest of the three, but looks the most fun to play!

• Like 1

If you pair Lem with Valeros then they can be boosting each other with d4s while Harsk also helps them out with another d4. This party is probably the weakest of the three, but looks the most fun to play!

I like it a lot. This does sound a blast to play.

Thank you both for the advice.

I think I will go:

1) Ezren, Kyra, Amiri, Sajan

2) Seoni, Lini, Valeros, Merisel

3) Lem, Seelah, Harsk

Changes were made for the following reasons:

* There is one heavy armor and one light armor person in each group.

* Sajan is with Ezren to balance out his lack of blessings

* I like Seelah's and Harsk's synergy in card peeking.

Problems are:

* No Diplomats in group 1.

* 2 ranged weapon users in group 3.

Any thoughts?

Good reasoning, but I agree with you you will find the lack of a good Dip/Char dice/other closing option troublesome in Party 1 as there are so many places where Charisma is useful (helps a lot with Allies as well, and there are times when snaring a stray Ally and immediately using the explore might mean the difference between scenario success or failure).

I think you want Seelah in Group 1, Amiri in Group 2 and Val in Group 3 to ensure you have a Charisma option in each - and for the fun of a Lem, Val, Harsk assistance-fest.

The downside of that is Group 2 will need Lini to carry a lot of healing as Seoni, Amiri and Merisiel all have a tendency to burn through cards. You shouldn't have a lot of trouble ending villains with that party though!

All these party suggestions seem great! I just finished the Story Mode with Solo Merisiel (technically first playthrough, as I erased the actual first at AD4), so I'll try all parties and create some of my own. I'm so sleepy that I couldn't think of good parties to start RIGHT NOW (wanna sleep, but can't now). :p

I'll leave here the party my friends and I are using when playing the physical game.

- Merisiel (me)

- Sajan

- Valeros

- Ezren

- Kyra

What do you guys think of this party? Not so balanced though... Which character would you take off?

My 3 groups are:

Valeros, Meriseil, Kyra, Ezren

Classic party.

Amiri, Seelah, Seoni, Lini

Girl power. This group covered everything except ranged.

Harsk, Sajan, Lem.

Boy Band. A LOT of boons go to waste, but it's effective at closing a location with the monk or bard, with the ranger giving support from another location, usually.

All these party suggestions seem great! I just finished the Story Mode with Solo Merisiel (technically first playthrough, as I erased the actual first at AD4), so I'll try all parties and create some of my own. I'm so sleepy that I couldn't think of good parties to start RIGHT NOW (wanna sleep, but can't now). :p

I'll leave here the party my friends and I are using when playing the physical game.

- Merisiel (me)

- Sajan

- Valeros

- Ezren

- Kyra

What do you guys think of this party? Not so balanced though... Which character would you take off?

Seems balanced enough - it has a little bit of everything. The easiest character to remove is, of course, Sajan - since items and blessings (his strenghts) are already covered by Merisiel and Kyra. But I like it as it is - bet you are having an easy time beating the game...

Cheers!

Mauricio

• 2 weeks later...

Until then I had 4 groups :

1) Seelah, Lini, Merisiel

2) Kyra, Seoni, Harsk

3) Amiri, Sajan, Ezren

4) Valeros, Lem

But I'm starting to realize the game gets more intersting with bigger parties. So I've decided to regroup the characters within 3 groups :

1) Valeros, Harsk, Lem

2) Amiri, Sajan, Ezren, Kyra

3) Seelah, Merisiel, Seoni, Lini