Another example of great police works

Wrath of Dagon

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iraq-war-veteran-accused-killing-five-ft-lauderdale-014051297.html

Police in Alaska last year took a handgun from the man accused of killing five people at Fort Lauderdale's airport on Friday, but returned it to him last month after a medical evaluation found he was not mentally ill, authorities said.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I see nothing wrong, right to bear arms and all that.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm confused, are you saying there should be stricter gun control or are you saying that gun control doesn't work? It seems to be the former and that's not what I would have expected.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'm saying insane people should not be allowed to have guns. And by law if they've been involuntarily committed, they aren't. But something clearly broke down here.

• Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I'm saying insane people should not be allowed to have guns. And by law if they've been involuntarily committed, they aren't. But something clearly broke down here.

Then we're in agreement.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Yet clearly he was:

Santiago walked into the office in November and told agents his mind was being controlled by a U.S. intelligence agency.

and from what he did just now. The article is vague, in one place it says he was evaluated and in another place "not adjudicated". My guess is it's the latter, and the reason is no one bothered to adjudicate him, it was easier to just give the gun back.

And all the PSD soldiers who are never diagnosed ?

PTSD, not the same thing as insanity, or to be more accurate, paranoid schizophrenia that appears to be this case. Edited by Wrath of Dagon
  • Like 1

Yet clearly he was:

Santiago walked into the office in November and told agents his mind was being controlled by a U.S. intelligence agency.

and from what he did just now. The article is vague, in one place it says he was evaluated and in another place "not adjudicated". My guess is it's the latter, and the reason is no one bothered to adjudicate him, it was easier to just give the gun back.

PTSD, not the same thing as insanity, or to be more accurate, paranoid schizophrenia that appears to be this case.

WOD is correct, this guy should never have been given his gun back...there was a major breakdown of social and legal responsibilities here

But he was suffering from PTSD, this has been confirmed when his brother said since returning from his  Iraq 2011 tour he was never the same 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not really strange, standard operating procedure. The reason is no one is responsible for handling these types of cases. The family might do something, but otherwise normally nothing happens.

PTSD, not the same thing as insanity, or to be more accurate, paranoid schizophrenia that appears to be this case.

Not sure what's your point exactly, but it sounds like you're suggesting that schizophrenics are inherently more dangerous than veterans afflicted with PTSD. Because "insanity".

I don't have hard evidence that shows that the opposite is true either, but homicides where the perpetrator was a former or active-duty member of the armed forces that was diagnosed with PTSD after the deed are very much a thing. Not something that gets a lot of attention, from what I've gathered, so your opinion is not surprising. If that's what you meant anyway.

Old piece, and I feel kind of dirty for linking to NYT, but what can you do: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/us/13vets.html?hp

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well yes, they might commit a crime, but usually not a mass shooting. Anyway, the standard for involuntary commitment is being a danger to yourself or others. So whatever mental condition meets that standard, by law you can't have a gun. We just don't have a system to implement that in most states.