What determines it is whether Heodan has been knocked out in the previous engagement. This is something I realize after restarting often thanks to Trial of Iron heh.

Actually that is because I play with knockout injuries on. There are some dialogue options with ambush party leader that will incur injuries on Heodan and some that dont. If Heodan has an injury, he will suggest resting.

Edited by mosspit
  • Like 1

I think it's also determined how you resolve the situation when Heodan is held captive by the bandit leader. With enough INT you can argue in a way that Heodan will not get injured when the leader releases him.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Hey guys! Calisca kind of dies at the start of the game lol... Or did I do something very wrong<???
When I reached the part where I see the mage with the mask next to that "machine" both my companions died. I thought it happens no matter what I do. I guess Iam wrong.

If you manage to save them that's a glitch. I don't know if you can send them to the stronghold.

But what is that trick to keep them alive? Never heard of it. Casting Barring Death's Door on them or what? ;)

I just tried it out and it no longer seems possible (if it ever actually was). The idea was that, just before exiting Cilant Lis you'd dismiss Calisca and Heodan from your party. You'd then step outside, trigger the cutscene, then go back inside and rehire them. However it seems you can't dismiss them anymore so it doesn't work.

• Like 1

A pity.

The only way that still might work is to use the console to dismiss them and then put them back into the party. I would like to do a play through with them - even without achievements.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

A pity.

The only way that still might work is to use the console to dismiss them and then put them back into the party. I would like to do a play through with them - even without achievements.

Console still works. It's the only option on keeping them.

• Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Yep... it kills the RP element. Plus Eder has similar stats plus a nice early game armor and quest XP to grab. She is nicer too look at but otherwise Eder and his funny commentary is the better choice.

Heodan on the other hand is a nice early

Rogue if you don't want to use hirelings. But still not optimal with lack of story and quest XP. Rather build a hireling.

Can you add any other other Caravan NPCs with the console? Like Odema?

Edited by Blades of Vanatar

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

It is actually superior to let Heodan get injured.  If he is injured and complains about needing to rest when you enter the cave, he gives you a free camping supply (out of thin air).  Even if you side with Calisca and don't rest, you still get to keep the camping supply.  If he is not injured, you will not get the camping supply and be out 75 copper of value.  Having the injury has no impact in the prologue so might as well let him get hurt.

Edited by Braven

It is actually superior to let Heodan get injured.  If he is injured and complains about needing to rest when you enter the cave, he give you a free camping supply (out of thin air), even if you side with Calisca and don't rest, you still get to keep the camping supply.  If he is not injured, you will not get the camping supply.  Keeping the injury has no impact in the prologue anyways.

True, but don't you finish Cilant Lis with two Camping Supplies anyway? Thus, unless you rest at some point during Cilant Lis, you're going to be leaving on behind anyway.

It is actually superior to let Heodan get injured.  If he is injured and complains about needing to rest when you enter the cave, he give you a free camping supply (out of thin air), even if you side with Calisca and don't rest, you still get to keep the camping supply.  If he is not injured, you will not get the camping supply.  Keeping the injury has no impact in the prologue anyways.

True, but don't you finish Cilant Lis with two Camping Supplies anyway? Thus, unless you rest at some point during Cilant Lis, you're going to be leaving on behind anyway.

On hard, that is true.  Normal allows for 4 camping supplies.  Also, you can always re-enter the cave later at any point during the game and grab the 3rd camping supply.  I often re-enter the cave right after the cutscene in order to disable all of the floor traps for additional experience, since you gain level 2 at that point and can increase your mechanics skill to 3.  Also, resting then isn't a terrible idea since you will have the fatigue ailment after the cutscene (and can also use that level up to get survival before resting, if you didn't already have it).

Of course, we are talking about very small change here, but it is interesting that you can gain more from having him hurt.

If you are an evil cleric or paladin, you can even gain additional value by killing off the whole caravan because it nets you +1 cruel reputation which helps your class abilitiy.  It is very difficult to do, but possible.  The downside is that you lose out on a bit of loot and the magic amulet in the cave (since you can't get the waterskin to solve that puzzle).

Edited by Braven

On hard, that is true.  Normal allows for 4 camping supplies.  Also, you can always re-enter the cave later at any point during the game and grab the 3rd camping supply.  I often re-enter the cave right after the cutscene in order to disable all of the floor traps for additional experience, since you gain level 2 at that point and can increase your mechanics skill to 3.

Huh, I'd never considered disabling the floor traps solo like that. I always have Heodan do them all for experience before lighting all the torches (even though at that point, lighting all the torches isn't necessary).

I'd also never though of returning to Cilant Lis. Usually I am ultra conservative with my Camping Supplies, although in my current playthrough I could probably have benefitted from an extra free one.

On hard, that is true.  Normal allows for 4 camping supplies.  Also, you can always re-enter the cave later at any point during the game and grab the 3rd camping supply.  I often re-enter the cave right after the cutscene in order to disable all of the floor traps for additional experience, since you gain level 2 at that point and can increase your mechanics skill to 3.

Huh, I'd never considered disabling the floor traps solo like that. I always have Heodan do them all for experience before lighting all the torches (even though at that point, lighting all the torches isn't necessary).

I'd also never though of returning to Cilant Lis. Usually I am ultra conservative with my Camping Supplies, although in my current playthrough I could probably have benefitted from an extra free one.

Yep, you get a bit more experience by doing it solo since you are not sharing experience with a party.  Also, doesn't Heodan only have 2 mechanics?  Some of the floor tiles require 3 while others only require 1.  To get them all, you need to level up, I think.  Or maybe Heodan has the merchant background (makes sense) which would bring his mechanics skill to 3?  I never tried disabling the traps with him.

The camping supply doesn't really matter since the game throws all kind of money at you, but if you dislike buying them from inns (or have a house rule not to), an extra one could come in handy.

Edited by Braven