Bug? Can't use challenging shield with no weapons revealed

aznxknight

Question

Card states that it can be discarded to add a str die to combat check that has melee trait. Now the card, along with all other shields in the game, state that it cannot be played if a 2handed trait was played on this check.

Obviously this means if i reveal a 2 handed weapon i cannot discard challenging shield.

But what about if i just fight an enemy with no weapons revealed? Why can i not discard challenging shield? I made sure i switch my combat check to Melee first.

However what DOES work is if i use a ONE handed weapon, i am then allowed to discard the shield. 

Now why is that? Is there some rule governing this with shields?

5 answers to this question

I believe Melee skill implies you are using a melee weapon on that check. Normally, encountering a monster with someone like Harsk gives you a 1d6 because of their Strength dice. However, if you recharge Soldier ally to add 1d4 to your Melee check, the dice are now 2d4 because Harsk has no Melee skill. Based on this, it is safe to assume that using just your hands to beat the **** out of a skeleton is not considered melee.

Ah i get it now. Melee trait and melee check are two different things. I just assumed that by switching to a melee check that it would satisfy the conditions. Now i'm a little disappointed at this shield, mainly because most of my weapons are 2 handed.

The rulebook says we're supposed to just imagine things, but couldn't you see yourself using a shield and bare fists in combat? lol

Ah i get it now. Melee trait and melee check are two different things. I just assumed that by switching to a melee check that it would satisfy the conditions. Now i'm a little disappointed at this shield, mainly because most of my weapons are 2 handed.

The rulebook says we're supposed to just imagine things, but couldn't you see yourself using a shield and bare fists in combat? lol

Why stop there? Take a shield in each of your hand to be able to both block and punch someone in the face. Stick a third shield on your back so they can't backstab you.