What you did today

Gorth

Phone interview on thursday for the other Branch

Best of luck :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Nail it

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

From past experiences giving those, don't answer with "Sup, man", have techno on in the background or breathe heavily into the receiver

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

From past experiences giving those, don't answer with "Sup, man", have techno on in the background or breathe heavily into the receiver

I'll be at work at the time so probably won't be an issue. As long as I don't totally botch it, I should be a bit of a shoe in for the position all things considered.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Rumblings from the other manager is that she wants to hire me. At the same time I caused a bit of an internal kerfuffle because I reported to a whistleblower style hotline internally that I thought my current BM hadn't paid out sick time to the other employees (I only got mine because I went after my previous HR partner). Immediately get called by my HR person who asks why I went that way instead of to her. Whic basically got the response of "Last time I went to you, he immediately yelled at me to "Don't do that again!" so..."

• Like 1

I'm feeling quite dashing today.

A month ago I was considering to get my yearly haircut. That's how I do it, I get it cut down to nothing and then let it grow until it annoys me. Well right before I decided to do it, the attractive cashier that's a decade my junior at the grocery store asked me if I always got compliments on my hair. She said if she was a guy, this is the hair she would want. I decided I had to keep it.

Today at work, the boss' son's wife told me she liked my beard. I guess I have to keep that.

And in today's writing group, one of the others told me they thought my hair looked good in the ponytail I'm trying out.

Now to find women my actual age.

• Like 5
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

enduring our annual penance by visiting family.  

will be easter fun for everybody.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I just spent a couple hours going through my old hardwarem software and games heap to throw away stuff with no value any more (things like software bundled to certain pieces of hardware I no longer own, like oh-so-many burning kits).

Talk about a trip down the memory lane. Good ol' dialup software from over 20 years ago, BBS telephone number lists, a freaking Internet Explorer on CD, Shareware stuff I picked up from a exhibition back in '91 where one of the games on it came with a virus. My copy of Ultima Online. Play at home versions of games that were played on TV shows where the candidates called the host and controlled the characters through dial tones. A ton of games companies made for advertising, mostly little adventures. CDs filled with patches. A couple hundred 3.5" disks and a good deal of 5.25" ones.

Fun hardware pieces as well. A whole bunch of 10BASE2 cables and NIC cards we used to do some serious multiplayering way before it was cool. An old computer from IBM (I think that one has an Intel 486 DX with 66 Mhz) that I used as firewall and router for my home network until internet bandwidth improved beyond the old ISA bus throughput rate (5 Mbit/s). And last, but not least, my SCSI host card and the disk burner I got with it. Cuz buffer underruns were for IDE noobs. Seriously.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Ahh, coaxial network cables - the good stuff. Had those all over our house here from when we used them for our networking, I took down the last of them recently when we redid the roof.

---

Spent  the day helping my father tune his car, he upgraded his injectors from 800cc's to 1300cc. Simple logic would dictate that you'd only have to increase the fuel map some 60%, but no. That would be too easy, they've got totally different characteristics, so I've had to redo the entire fuel map. Then he wanted to map with E85 aswell, so that was another couple of hours of work - hammering away at the laptop keys while being terrified that the laptop would bluescreen again...

We also speculate that the lambda sensor (O2 sensor) might be broken/damaged because the sensor fluctuates wildly in it's readings, so he's got to buy a new one and then we will go for another run to see if we get better readings.

For now the car goes quite well, guesstimates would be about 400-430hp at the back wheels. Not bad output for a Volvo B230 (2.3L Inline-4) 8 valve with about 2.5 Bar pressure from the turbo.

Last time we mapped the engine I had some trouble focusing on the engine map since I could see everything going on in my peripheral vision, so I decided to limit it today with a cap - this technique proved quite efficient!

Adding in; Oh, also, on our way out we saw a throng of Asian people walking about, about a bussload. This was really surprising considering I barely see anyone out here, and then being swamped by tourists? I was shocked, I tell you!

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Going to New York City in 3 daysish. We just got notified that my aunt and primary caretaker of my grandparents has just been diagnosed with stage four bone cancer.

Oye I need a friend

Going to New York City in 3 daysish. We just got notified that my aunt and primary caretaker of my grandparents has just been diagnosed with stage four bone cancer.

Oye I need a friend

****ing hell, life isn't being kind to you :/

-----

My father is trying to send me a executable file that he made for our tuning purposes, through Outlook/Hotmail and the mother****ers has completely blocked the file, and I can't figure out a way to unblock it. Dickheads.

Edited by Azdeus

I think you can just change the file extension to something "less suspicious" (i.e. a txt) and it will be accepted.

Sorry to hear that, Calax. :(

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I think you can just change the file extension to something "less suspicious" (i.e. a txt) and it will be accepted.

Sorry to hear that, Calax. :(

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. Still, those **** could atleast give me executive control over what I'm allowed to open. I'm not an idjit, well, not a complete idjit, and I can make those calls for myself thankyouverymuch.

Played PnP, DnD 5e Storm Kings Thunder. We lost our way too brave rogue to the belly of a Remorhaz. :(

• Like 3

I made a 30 ft by 30 ft baseball field in my backyard. Still has a lot of work left to do on it, but I've dug out the base paths.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

What do you work with?

Heh, I thought you had a more physical work, yeah :)

I used to do about that myself, now that I drive a tug it's dropped to about half, but replaced it with some stairs instead.

Woohoo, excluded from jury duty. I was number 9 in the pool for a 6 person jury. The bailiff actually called me to be number 6 in the box, but then recalled that because I was excluded and he overlooked it.

I assume it was a demographic exclusion, since the jury ended up being filled with people who have more grey hair than me. Which is a feat.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've found that erratic behavior and heated conversations with imaginary people work wonders in getting you excused from jury duty.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell