What you did today

Gorth

Got beer and pen and paper RPG's tomorrow, looking forward to that immensly after working these long weeks. Working extra plus ordered overtime is awful, but there is a payoff coming in two weeks. ^^

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Got beer and pen and paper RPG's tomorrow, looking forward to that immensly after working these long weeks. Working extra plus ordered overtime is awful, but there is a payoff coming in two weeks. ^^

What system are you running Azdeus?

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Listened to an acquaintance bemoan his financial situation then later talk about his hooker and booze habits. People are indeed strange.

Now to go buy DLCs.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What system are you running Azdeus?

Right at this moment, we're running DnD 5e, I'm running one freeform campaign (Wich was originally played in 3.5E but all the players nagged me into switching over) with some inspiration from NWN2 and I'm reading through Princes of the Apocalypse to prepare for that later.

I've got one Warhammer40K Only War campaign I'm running, and I'm writing an campaign for Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader.

I've got Shadowrun on my table aswell, but my players are severely disillusioned by the system itself.

I've got one campaign going for a Swedish game called Neotech(Cyberpunk) and I'm writing one for Eon(Low-Medium fantasy) from the same company.

The "main" GM is running Storm Kings Thunder - wich we are currently focusing on-, Curse of Strahd and Out of the Abyss, a Vampire campaign, Dark Heresy, The written adventures for Rogue Trader and Only War. One campaign for Eon wich is on hold I think (Since his ex had one of the central roles). And he also holds the Mutant Chronicles campaigns.

He also holds an On/Off Star Wars campaign.

His girlfriend is prepping for the Tyranny of Dragons campaign, it's going to be her first foray into GM'ing. :)

So... alot of systems! I've missed some probably, that's just what I can remember on the top of my head. We've got dozens of systems that we're running, my personal favourite is the old Eon/Neotech(Different settings, same system), but noone else likes them. :(

Eon/Neotech

DnD 3.5

DnD 5

Mutant Chronicles

Warhammer 40k

Vampire

StarWars 3.5e

I'm going to have to look through our bookshelf to remember the rest XD

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

How are you enjoying 5? I am heavily invested in Pathfinder so likely staying for time being.

On a personal note; I dislike it, but I'm particular they say. So I'm a bit biased towards old 3.5e.

It's quicker and easier, the classes (Druids and clerics are still stupid powerful.) are generally speaking more fun, spells are more balanced; Cantrips scale with your level, so attack cantrips are almost always useful, you can push your spells with higher slots for more duration/damage or targets, the feats are more useful and balanced but more rare; but some are very much more useful than others, and sometimes just plain needed to play your character effectively. (Constitution saves are used instead of a skill to maintain focus on a spell, wizards, warlocks, bards, clerics and druids don't get constitution save bonuses unless you pick a feat)

Skills are more boring now, you no longer allocate points, you have a proficiency bonus wich increases slightly with level, so you have to use one of the rare feats if you want to expand your portfolio. You can still use non-class skills, but you're limited to your abilityscore, so if you feel your Wiz needs some points in diplomacy you're SOL until you get a level with an Ability Score Bonus; Either raise attributes by two points or pick a feat. So your characters are more stiff.

That said, you've got more options to chose skills when you create that character, just make sure you pick the right stuff.

Monsters don't have any scaling mechanic anymore, so if you want a really badass orc chieftain you have to improvise.

There might be more, nothing pops up right now, I'm a bit to tired from work. :)

Thanks for sharing Azdeus - appreciate the reflection and time! I do not think I can rationalise shifting to a new system considering the size of the library ;) Paizo does seem to be incorporating some game play shifts that echo what I understand has been implement in 5e.

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

No problem, my pleasure :)

There are some real gems in 5e, I love how the classes have built in prestige branches, scaling of spells and that you don't have to invest in less than interesting feats to build up to the real gems.

you know how when you go to set down a cardboard box and kinda let it slide a second before hitting the surface, I did that in line at the grocery store with a twelve of Stone and the vertical edge inside my right thumb sliced it open like a titanium razor seconds before greeting the cashier with a genuine how are you today, when he looked and asked if I was alright and I said not really, I just cut myself on this box, do you have any band-aids ... he said no but I have paper towels and quickly grabbed the roll and handed me one. I said, perfect, sorry about that and bandaged the wound at the same time as entering my debit PIN and smiled and said thanks and took the receipt and left to go home to sickbay.

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

Came out of hibernation and started running again last month. Pretty surprising how quickly the weight will fall off if you just watch your caloric intake and run around a bit.

Enjoy that while you're young. I've found it gets a hell of a lot harder in your 40's. Even with diet & exercise.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ended up playing Mutant Chronicles for two days, was loads of fun. The world is similar to Warhammer but is entirely focused on our solar system and it's less grimdark and more 80's/90's action like in it's tone.

We ended up being only two players though, wich was kind of dissapointing, but it was fun nonetheless. :)

have mentioned our portuguese cleaning lady once or twice?  stopped by her place today to help her with something.  her garage door were open and we saw what appeared to be an old buick-- flat tires and covered with dust. pretended not to notice, though we were itching to ask 'bout it.  when we were done with our visit and 'bout to leave we questioned mrs ______ 'bout the car.  she didn't know details other than that it were her deceased husband's car and it had been taking up space in the garage for a few years since he passed away.  she were gonna junk it, but never seemed to get 'round to doing so. 

Gromnir asked if he could take a look.  

as far as we can tell, is a 1971 buick lesabre 4-door with a 455 v-8.  two-tone green. hard top. got the engine to turn-over, but will need considerable work to be drivable. 

mrs. _______ wanted to give us for free if we would take it off her hands.  nope.  we wrote her a fat little check and said we would pick it up w/i a week.

so, Gromnir has a new car, and another buick.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 7

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

have mentioned our portuguese cleaning lady once or twice?  stopped by her place today to help her with something.  her garage door were open and we saw what appeared to be an old buick-- flat tires and covered with dust. pretended not to notice, though we were itching to ask 'bout it.  when we were done with our visit and 'bout to leave we questioned mrs ______ 'bout the car.  she didn't know details other than that it were her deceased husband's car and it had been taking up space in the garage for a few years since he passed away.  she were gonna junk it, but never seemed to get 'round to doing so. 

Gromnir asked if he could take a look.  

as far as we can tell, is a 1971 buick lesabre 4-door with a 455 v-8.  two-tone green. hard top. got the engine to turn-over, but will need considerable work to be drivable. 

mrs. _______ wanted to give us for free if we would take it off her hands.  nope.  we wrote her a fat little check and said we would pick it up w/i a week.

so, Gromnir has a new car, and another buick.  

HA! Good Fun!

I suppose my takeaway is that you like Buicks as much as I like Stephen Curry jump shots.

giphy.gif

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

y'know, we would never consider self to be a buick fan.  

q:  what kind of cars does Gromnir like?

a: ford trucks.

has been years since we owned a ford truck, and we now have two buicks, a bmw suv, and a chrysler t&c mini-van.  

have stopped trying to make sense o' our life.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am admitting there is understandable creep factor 'bout a single man who owns a van

even so, we got four dogs o' our own, and we typical walk six.  we needed something which were a bit more "roomy."

can't resist

pps while we wouldn't call self a buick fan, acquisition o' a car with a gm 455 v8 big block engine (buick, oldsmobile, or pontiac) has been on our bucket list for some time.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Did she at least divulge her cooking secrets as part of the deal. 

she has not budged.  frustrating.  is not as if Gromnir is the most charming man on the face o' the planet, but our previous attempts to learn cooking from grandmothers has met with universal success.  be polite and complimentary and grandmothers is happy to pass along cooking tips and techniques.

*shrug*

am learning to live with disappointment.

HA! Good Fun!

There's one American car that I really want, it's owned by a guy relatively nearby that I buy my tyres from, it's a Ford Galaxie 500/Ford LTD that my father used to own... Trying to persuade the owner to let me buy it if he's going to sell it.

It's the only thing I can imagine taking a bank loan for.

With you shirtless I am sure your neighbors think the same :D

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well I am not one to talk. I can't do that due to court orders

• Like 2

Annoying day at work today, and some weird weather. About 15C and loads of fog, about 15-20m visibility and almost crashed three times when white lorries drove out of the mist.

Driving to work was arduous aswell, had an average speed of about 50-60 at times when the fog was at it's thickest.