What you did today

Gorth

I've found that erratic behavior and heated conversations with imaginary people work wonders in getting you excused from jury duty.

Or just being a skeptic, atleast that is how several people I know got excused.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I've found that erratic behavior and heated conversations with imaginary people work wonders in getting you excused from jury duty.

Or just being a skeptic, atleast that is how several people I know got excused.

Pretending to be racist works too. But it might get your butt kicked on the way out.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If you want an easy out and you're called to a small town, just be the last to arrive. This was a small courtroom only hearing a single trial today, they ordered us by when we came in. And both times I've hit selection, they just went down the list. People at front are most likely.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

If that doesn't work, you can just talk very loudly about jury nullification and either get disqualified or cause a mistrial. Either way, it ends your obligation!

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

i heard some news a few days ago. a court here decided that in street accidents involving motorcycles, the motorcycle driver will be held guilty until proven innocent because 90% or more of these drivers have total disregard for traffic laws - especially fast food delivery guys.

in other news, my cat seems to be allergic to pollen. since spring began she sneezes all the time.

and of course the journalists here should get the sophistry award for 2017. about a month ago a new, 200km highway was completed and replaced the old ruined roads that claimed dozens of lives every holiday. during easter, this new road was used by 700k cars and nobody died (there were a few minor accidents but no serious injuries), however because of the number of cars and the fact that there are still some places where the work is not complete, there was a big jam in a couple of places so the anti-government media started saying that it's the new road's fault because having a big road made everyone leave the cities and go to the countryside causing the jams... this impeccable logical argument is like saying "people get sick because there are hospitals, if we shut down the hospitals people will avoid getting sick"

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Am now 31. Grandma is 92. Currently at my grandparents house on vacation, trying to get a bit of relaxation in

• Like 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Happy birthday! :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I think they are referring to Induced Demand.

yeah, but saying "you should not have made the new road because now you get traffic jams" is just stupid, considering how the old road was a death trap

there is simply nothing you can do when the media want to bash you. if you pick A, they complain for not picking B. if you pick B, they complain for not picking A, if you pick both, they complain that you don't have a clear stance and you waste resources.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

3rd writing group meeting last night. And really the first time I've let someone else see my work.

Comments were interesting. Almost entirely positive, which I'm unhappy about because it doesn't help me figure out how to improve. The one guy who didn't already know what genre I'm working in expressed meaninglessly generic expectations, where the other three who did know what genre might have been a little too on the nose for how early this section was. I don't know if I'm being too obvious or too subtle.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So you are not getting your tattoo tear, you know the one that means you whacked someone.

I was thinking of something more along the lines of a big green wing hug symbol :)

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

It's really gotten warm now. I walked with the dogs down to the river today and sat on the banks for a while. Tommy had been getting Adaquan injections every week for his arthritis and it's really helped him. I wouldn't even have attempted that walk with him two weeks ago. I moved my desk out of the loft because he really can't do the stairs and it upsets him when I go up there without him. But he is much more like his old self lately which brings a joy to my heart I can't even describe.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I drove many hours to see my terminally ill grandfather. It was difficult to see him in his state (rounds of chemo that quite literally nearly killed him, and may still do so in the next couple of days as he tries to recover from it so that he can live at least, you know, a few months more, at the very least), but I feel I would've regretted it for the rest of my life if I hadn't.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I drove many hours to see my terminally ill grandfather. It was difficult to see him in his state (rounds of chemo that quite literally nearly killed him, and may still do so in the next couple of days as he tries to recover from it so that he can live at least, you know, a few months more, at the very least), but I feel I would've regretted it for the rest of my life if I hadn't.

I am sorry to hear about this for you and yours. I hope in this stage of life's journey there will be space to celebrate his life, even in the grieving and discomfort that accompanies him and you.
  • Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

My sister died around half a year ago, but in some ways, this is harder than a sudden death - even one as awful as hers. It's...very unsettling. He's terrified, he's in pain, and feels totally incapable...he can't even walk or hardly talk anymore - and those are literally two of the things he loved most, moving around constantly and he's always been so very talkative - loved to talk to anyone about anything. Now, his lungs barely work and all he could do is just whisper a little...and silently cry. And then you look at him...and it's like he doesn't even look anything like himself. It's so different than a sudden death, which is just shocking and awful in a very different way, where there's nothing that can be said or done about it - it's over and done with, and that's that. For this, it's like...they're still here, they're still alive, they're still thinking about things, and they can still appreciate your presence - can love it, actually...but they're dying, and can't even communicate - certainly nothing like they're accustomed to. No memories or stories they want to tell to make sure are remembered, no real last words of insight...just a simple appreciation that you're here with them at that moment, because who knows when the next time you'll see them is, or what complications the next day will hold - if they even make it that far. Just stuck in a bed, locked there by their own physical incapability, and in pain... Makes it hard to leave - you want to be with them the entire time...but you can't. It's ghastly stuff, death. Truly ghastly.

(e): And yeah, chemotherapy is truly awful in of itself. He nearly died from trying it - they didn't really think it would help due to his cancer's advanced state, but they figured, eh, what the heck, might as well try. He went from having an expected lifespan of 1-2 years, they said, to almost just a few weeks instead, and that one may still come true. Really awful.

Thank you both for the well-wishes...as well as to anyone else sending positive thoughts my way. Cherish the people important to you - life's too short and ends much too suddenly to do anything else.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 4

Sorry to hear that Bart.

---

Went to the dentist today and pulled a tooth, and dug out a "residual root".

When I say dug, I really mean it, there was drilling, there was chisels and I'm pretty certain there were spades.

Probably an excavator aswell.

Took two hours of work.

The anaesthetic is wearing off now, and I'm crying from the pain, ****, ****, ****, **** does it hurt. Not the first tooth I've pulled, but this root residue thing is in a league of it's own. Oh, yeah, and it won't stop bleeding.

Oi, Guard Dog, if I pay for the plane ticket, will you come to Sweden and shoot me? I'm serious. I will pay you.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1