What you did today

Gorth

I don't really know anything about American politics, so I'm probably missing lots of background info here but... I guess your talented brother just fell in with a bad crowd?

What exactly does he believe? He wants to kill Jewish people?

Nah. He's at the, "Holocaust is a lie" phase, hasn't reached the, "But I wish it were true" phase. He believes the following:

A) Modern western society is degenerate and needs reform back to traditionalism.

B) Certain races, especially blacks, are ethnically inferior to whites and the US needs to be divided into four nations based on race. He also said that the north-east should be the white part; which is an odd choice considering that the north east is really ethnically diverse. Seems like the north-west would be better, but then again he lives in the north east so that might be his personal bias.

C) That Jews are more intelligent than whites and thus more successful hence why they control the media and basically the world, that they deliberately look out for Jewish interests at the expense of whites. He's held off on calling them outright evil, but he sees them as a racial foe. Though he considers them enemies due to circumstance; not as inherit foes.

Again, he was the leftist between us. What happened???

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I don't really know anything about American politics, so I'm probably missing lots of background info here but... I guess your talented brother just fell in with a bad crowd?

What exactly does he believe? He wants to kill Jewish people?

I just noticed that your location is Japan. That is actually relevant because he considers Japan to be a successful example of an ethno-state.

Would it be fair to characterize Japan in such a way? Or is he totally off base?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Would it sound crazy if I said that C is the strangest to me? I mean, there have always been racists and traditionalists but... where does this "Jewish people run the world from the shadows" stuff come from? *shakes head*

Maybe being stationed overseas fighting foreigners makes you think of other races as "the enemy"?

I just noticed that your location is Japan. That is actually relevant because he considers Japan to be a successful example of an ethno-state.

Would it be fair to characterize Japan in such a way? Or is he totally off base?

Sort of. The number of foreigners living here is very low. Only about 1-2% of the population. It's also well known that they take in very few refugees. (Out of the thousands that apply they only take in a handful.) And Japan is a very stable country, that runs like clockwork. So you could call that a "successful ethno-state". But whether their homogeneity is a factor that directly led to their success or not is of course debatable.

Edited by Heijoushin

Would it sound crazy if I said that C is the strangest to me? I mean, there have always been racists and traditionalists but... where does this "Jewish people run the world from the shadows" stuff come from? *shakes head*

Maybe being stationed overseas fighting foreigners makes you think of other races as "the enemy"?

Basically, in the US Israel has a very strong lobby due to a few factors, one of them being evangelical religious zealots being commanded to support Israel in the christian bible. Evangelicals are a huge voting base for the republican party, so republicans cater to Israel. At the same time, the democratic party has a lot of wealthy Zionist donors, so Israel gets catered to by the Democrats as well. This creates the illusion that Jews control more than they really do. What is a product of happenstance is taken as conspiracy.

Basically, in the US Israel has a very strong lobby due to a few factors, one of them being evangelical religious zealots being commanded to support Israel in the christian bible. Evangelicals are a huge voting base for the republican party, so republicans cater to Israel. At the same time, the democratic party has a lot of wealthy Zionist donors, so Israel gets catered to by the Democrats as well. This creates the illusion that Jews control more than they really do. What is a product of happenstance is taken as conspiracy.

Ah, I see. Israel is at the heart of the Abrahamic religions, so they some wiggle room on religious grounds. Still, for all that, Israel is hardly a major world power...

Anyway, it sounds like you have a dysfunctional family. Must make family dinners awkward...

Ah, I see. Israel is at the heart of the Abrahamic religions, so they some wiggle room on religious grounds. Still, for all that, Israel is hardly a major world power...

Anyway, it sounds like you have a dysfunctional family. Must make family dinners awkward...

Not so much. The oldest brother has gotten the mental help he needed and is now totally functional and is completely healthy now. I don't hold any grudge against him, he was literally insane; it's not like it was his fault. The universe just screwed him and me by proxy. And "Bob" may be a nazi, but we don't have to agree to get along. Family dinners are actually quite harmonious. 

Not so much. The oldest brother has gotten the mental help he needed and is now totally functional and is completely healthy now. I don't hold any grudge against him, he was literally insane; it's not like it was his fault. The universe just screwed him and me by proxy. And "Bob" may be a nazi, but we don't have to agree to get along. Family dinners are actually quite harmonious. 

That's a surprisingly Zen attitude you have there :)

So your bro reckons that all these nazis are going to float to the top, huh? Still, could they really do anything without the support of the people? It seems to me that the American people are very vocal whenever they perceive an injustice to have been carried out, and nazi is still a synonym for evil in most circles. (They should change their name, and get a new PR agent.)

That's a surprisingly Zen attitude you have there :)

When you spend your teen years trying to not get murdered you go zen or you go nuts. Only the lack of kill xp in rpgs brings out the inner madness buried deep in my soul.

So your bro reckons that all these nazis are going to float to the top, huh? Still, could they really do anything without the support of the people?

Yes. Though according to him they're not full fascist quite yet. They're still developing. They might moderate as they get older, or get to his level. Time will tell.

The deciding factors might turn out to be:

A) Whether or not social justice warriors go away. If SJW's go away the borderline nazis will likely moderate their views; if not we're in trouble. SJWs are so obnoxious they might doom the planet to nazi control. I'm gonna be pretty steamed if they do.

B) Whether we engage in more stupid middle eastern wars. I suspect there is a connection between the endless middle eastern wars and the growth of alt-lite ideology in the military. 

"Bob" was rising in the ranks faster than normal. There are certain limits he couldn't reach until he had spent more time in the military, I don't know why, but that is the situation.

I'm sure the other branches have similar rules, but in the Navy there are Time In Rate requirements that must be met prior to advancing to the next higher rank. These of course can be waived for superior performance.

"Bob" was rising in the ranks faster than normal. There are certain limits he couldn't reach until he had spent more time in the military, I don't know why, but that is the situation.

I'm sure the other branches have similar rules, but in the Navy there are Time In Rate requirements that must be met prior to advancing to the next higher rank. These of course can be waived for superior performance.

In the marines it's called time in grade. It's the same thing. When I was in to go from Lance Corporal to Corporal you needed at least 9 months in grade and then your composite score (made up of your proficiency and conduct ratings, rifle range score and PFT score) had to exceed the established cutting score. That was the hardest rank to make because there can be as many E1-E3 as there are but there are only so many billets for E-4 and above.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If you want to understand the source of this aspect of conspiracy theory, you may want to read about the Russian text, The Protocols of the Elders of Zion (1903).  As I understand it, that book purports to represent plans by Zionist groups to take over banking institutions so they can control governments and newspapers with the end aim of creating a one-world Jewish state.  It was mostly derived from re-writing Joly's satire Dialogue in Hell Between Machiavelli and Montesquieu, adding in Herl's The Jewish State and parts of Goedsche's Biarritz and is therefore not a real document but a fiction.  And while it has been debunked periodically, part of the conspiracy alludes to collusion between banks (run by Jews according to the Protocols) and newspapers (either run by Jews or beholden to banks) and thus for full on believers any debunking is naturally repudiated because the source is considered suspect. 

While its use in the west had waned since WWII (but is still referenced in the Middle East), it has gained additional spread through the Internet leading to its rise in conspiracy theory again.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Huh... The hotel that we have a location in is host of a few times of the WHL. Guess they're having a game up here in PDX.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I recently got my semi-ancient 1156 box back from my parents, I had let them have it when they needed a new computer and since they've both got their own laptops now I just got it back, and have been upgrading it to see how much performance I can get out of the old box. So far I've done the following:

Replaced the i3-530 with an i5-760

Added a 212 Evo cooler

Overclocked the CPU to 3.85Ghz with Turbo-boost allowing it to jump to 4.2Ghz on a single core (I could go higher but that seems around the sweet spot for the chip and I don't want to push the system too hard).

Added a slightly overclocked 1060 6Gb

Added 8Gb of RAM for a total of 12Gb

Not counting the 1060 the entire cost has been around $100 USD, about $335 with the GPU, and I'm impressed at how well it's holding up. I think the only thing I really need to add now is an SSD boot disk and maybe replace the PSU. At some point I'll also build an entirely new system to compliment my laptop, I'm using a 6700HQ paired with a 1060 that has been repasted with Liquid Metal, but this isn't a bad back-up system and I'm having fun playing around with it.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade
  • Like 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I'm working from home tomorrow. So tonight is a good night for a drink. For a few drinks actually. A good night to sit on the porch, listen to the owls, coyotes, whiporills and crickets. Better than any music on my iPad.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm working from home tomorrow. So tonight is a good night for a drink. For a few drinks actually. A good night to sit on the porch, listen to the owls, coyotes, whiporills and crickets. Better than any music on my iPad.

*Le jealous* :getlost:

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Staying at my parents' place for the weekend to help them move. Walked in on my mom watching Fifty Shades of Grey, which shouldn't really surprise me (in my childhood days, one positive point in their criteria over whether a movie was one they should rent was if it had Arnold Schwarzenegger, which led to them renting Jingle All the Way and Junior). I did my best to persuade her that it wasn't worth her time for the sake of preserving some measure of taste, unfortunately to no avail.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Staying at my parents' place for the weekend to help them move. Walked in on my mom watching Fifty Shades of Grey, which shouldn't really surprise me (in my childhood days, one positive point in their criteria over whether a movie was one they should rent was if it had Arnold Schwarzenegger, which led to them renting Jingle All the Way and Junior). I did my best to persuade her that it wasn't worth her time for the sake of preserving some measure of taste, unfortunately to no avail.

I've tried to do the same with my mother, it's like a stone wall. :(

Psyching myself up for a party tonight, just the boyz. We've not had a proper party in ages so I'm really exited, my one worry is that I'm not going to get the inflatable mattress I'm going to borrow to work, but the weather is supposed to be real nice tonight so I can take a nice long (~10km) walk home if that happens.

Bit sad that some of the oldtimers won't be making it, really looked forward to hanging out with my engineer(And more importantly, RPG designer) and scientist friends. :(

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Going to a "Welcome Home" party tonight. The son of one of our VFW members got home from serving overseas yesterday. We're throwing him a party at the VFW, BBQ with all the trimmings and the beer and whiskey will flow. He's been at Camp Schawb on Okinawa for the last 14 months with deployments to Afghanistan and all the usually WestPac stops like South Korea, Ie Shima, and elsewhere. I'd like to talk to him about Okinawa if I get the chance. I'd be curious to hear how much it's changed. I was there in 91-92 so I'd imagine quite a bit.

• Like 5

Thomas Sowell

Being told Grandpa has an anurysm in his lung and basically not to expect him to survive more than six months He's 91 and doesn't even remember I'm his grandkid half the time. Seeing him in two tuesdays. Mom thinks grandma would follow pretty quickly after. Still haven't heard anything about other job.

Also Family Friend (who died on the 27th?) has a bitch of a daughter. Like I said, my mom had come up to see her friend, and before my mom could arrive (like the day before) Lynn died. Mom came up and stayed in Lynn's house with her sisters, and the daughter for one night. The sisters left and the daughter basically kicked my mom out of the house (even though my mom had plans to stay until saturday). This was on a tuesday. This is also the woman who I visited with over thanksgiving, joked (good naturedly) about her husband being "Just the PRETTIEST of princesses" with my brother and him, and he apparently didn't like it. But instead of saying "Hey, I don't appriciate that" or anything, waited f\a good month before I reached out to her again to proceed to call me a "terrible human being" for joking like that and acting morally superior. So now I was persona non grata aroud the house, and not even allowed in to help my mom out. And everything that woman put out about her mom post death seemed almost "woe is me" with her "memorial" including "I didn't always see Eye to eye with my mom" as if they were estranged (they weren't).

And now I saw a begrudging "Well, now I have three cats!" twitter post about taking in her mom's old ones.

I don't understand: why are you reading (or able to read) her posts to begin with?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I don't understand: why are you reading (or able to read) her posts to begin with?

I rarely ever check twitter (Like literally only saw it when I was looking at something else from reddit) and I kept her on social media out of respect for her mother, until her mother died.

Just came home, had a great party yesterday with the boyoz, I had loaded up with plenty of drink wich turned out to be unnecessary, the host had done that for us. Got amazingly drunk and had an awesome night! Lots of chat back and forth, good food and loads of alcohol. :)

I'm still a bit tipsy and it's been many hours since I drank my last beer.

Being told Grandpa has an anurysm in his lung and basically not to expect him to survive more than six months He's 91 and doesn't even remember I'm his grandkid half the time. Seeing him in two tuesdays. Mom thinks grandma would follow pretty quickly after. Still haven't heard anything about other job.

Also Family Friend (who died on the 27th?) has a bitch of a daughter. Like I said, my mom had come up to see her friend, and before my mom could arrive (like the day before) Lynn died. Mom came up and stayed in Lynn's house with her sisters, and the daughter for one night. The sisters left and the daughter basically kicked my mom out of the house (even though my mom had plans to stay until saturday). This was on a tuesday. This is also the woman who I visited with over thanksgiving, joked (good naturedly) about her husband being "Just the PRETTIEST of princesses" with my brother and him, and he apparently didn't like it. But instead of saying "Hey, I don't appriciate that" or anything, waited f\a good month before I reached out to her again to proceed to call me a "terrible human being" for joking like that and acting morally superior. So now I was persona non grata aroud the house, and not even allowed in to help my mom out. And everything that woman put out about her mom post death seemed almost "woe is me" with her "memorial" including "I didn't always see Eye to eye with my mom" as if they were estranged (they weren't).

And now I saw a begrudging "Well, now I have three cats!" twitter post about taking in her mom's old ones.

She definetly sounds like a bitch, hope things turn around for you soon Cal.

• Like 1