What you did today

Gorth

Boo. :)

Just dropping in to say hello. Nice to see so many of the familiar faces around and that the forum itself is still here.

I sorta lost interest in gaming and the internet in general for a while, plus life got really busy, lost a few family members, hubby had a few serious health issues, etc. (he turned 50 last year, jeez, time flies...).

We bought another house that we were planning to retire into a while back but now we're having second thoughts re: location and workload to fix it up. It's a nice house tho, on an acre, with an Eichler-influenced giant open living area w/vaulted ceilings and near to some of hubby's family to boot. Driving back and forth from Bay Area up North is becoming a serious chore, however. We'll see.

... life is settling a bit recently and we're doing pretty good at the moment. Started getting a bit back into the 'net stuff during trips up North where there's not much else to do at night in a largely empty house, heh. Anyhoo, cheers all. :cat:

My dream home is an Eichler --belatedly regretting that I could have had an opportunity to make a go of one a few years back. Saw a listing for another Eichler in the same neighborhood a few days back. Price has more than tripled since 2011.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

How are the cats?

Just have one (the black one in my avatar) - his buddy passed. Mr. Black ended up with hyperthyoid and nearly died as well, but medicine seems to work for now. :)

My dream home is an Eichler --belatedly regretting that I could have had an opportunity to make a go of one a few years back. Saw a listing for another Eichler in the same neighborhood a few days back. Price has more than tripled since 2011.

Yeah they've become quite the prestige/desirable retro house purchase as of late. Ours isn't an actual Eichler, couldn't afford something like that. But the guy who built it was obviously a fan. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Welcome back LC. Was worried you were dead or something :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Welcome back Lady C! It's good to see you again! =)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So I've gone back to school - to study teaching, as I might've mentioned - and lo' and behold if teachers are not super geeks. I now have a steady roleplaying group every Tuesday on Campus, with 15-30 people coming every week. Great fun.

And great to see you again LC, now we just need Woldan and we can get a photography thread going :)

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

*Drinks a glass of rum to ease out the back pain* -> *Gets tipsy* What the hell happened there?!

My sleeping pills shouldn't be taken to often since they're addictive and ****s with your greymatter over time, BUT THE DOCTORS NEVER MENTIONED RUM! MWAHAHAHA!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I attended a writing group yesterday. Actually a little disappointed because of how casual the whole thing was. It was less a group for writers to help each other and more a group for writers to chat. A little too self-guided would be one way to put it.

It was also the first time I've gone to a social event in over 7 years. So that was nice. I'm pretty sure I convinced them all I was a normal well adjusted adult. The fools.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So my beautiful girlfriend and me have this running joke since we found a certain meme...

208e905d62472631db76fb89a5b1a996.png

Now today, we finally turned it into an absolutely wonderful flag. Attached in Thumbnail

post-165831-0-86440900-1490546621_thumb.jpg

post-165831-0-73094700-1490546646_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 2

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

There is some awfully weird stuff happening in the C&C forum. 10 year old threads are springing back to life.

It's magic.

It's a bird.

It's a plane.

No, it's this guy.

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Had my first day of training with parking lorry trailers at work, it's somewhat tricky to get them lined up right with the parking spaces, but dolly trailers are a frigging nightmare so far.

Still, it's way more fun than to lift packets onto conveyorbelts...

• Like 1

Don't need to, I'm not going to be driving on open roads, when I run the word (Rangering) through google translate I get "marshalling", but I haven't the slightest idea if that makes sense.

I don't think I'd technically need a drivers licence either since it's a restricted compound that you can't access normally. :)

So I was looking at realtor.com last night. I'm not interested or in a position to buy any real estate but I have a fascination with seeing what's out there. but I did come across something interesting. Apparently the mining company in Campbell County Wyoming is divesting a lot of it's real estate along the Belle Forche river. In some parts it selling as low as $200 an acre for a 100 acre tract. The problem is it's completely unimproved. No paved road access, no power or utility of any kind. And no certainty it will ever have it. In other words it's perfect. Looking at the satellite photos that whole area is high plains desert but with river access and unobstructed sky there is the means to create electricity if on a limited basis. I'm imagining a small house, completely DC powered that runs on batteries at night and a charging system during the day powered by solar and a river driven turbine. 

I need this like a hole in the head but I'm just so intrigued by the notion of a completely self sustaining property. I've got two solar panels (combined about 15 sq meters) and during the winter my electric bill is less than $40. A larger array in an arid climate with even less atmospheric loss would produce even more. 

Next time i can't sleep I really should play PoE rather than surf the web. It's going to get me in trouble.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't know, man. It looks really cool and all, but also has this kind of horror movie style where everyone dies in the end.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Family Friend died this morning. Actually the woman who I lived with for the first two weeks I was here before they had an apartment for me. My mom's here now, unsure of exactly what she wants to do. It's still kinda processing in my head at the moment.

Other news, my boss is livid at the state she found our store in, and fortunately doesn't blame me because I've been semi-marginalized by the manager. Hopefully within a few weeks I get contacted to take over a branch up in Washington (Yakima to be specific) which I think would ultimately be fantastic, cheaper living with more money.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm sorry for your loss Calax. :(

Condolences Calax.

Having that whole "miss the ex and her kids" moment. It's that interesting slice of having been in their lives for x amount of time, and doing the various things and making time for movie nights with them and now not. When you miss the stupid things of attempting to help them out with homework as well as the giving piggyback lifts and that range of "family" stuff.

It's not like I'm just going to stop picking up birthday presents for them just because I'm no longer seeing their mother, but then there's that... Hm. The eldest is now 17 going 18, and I have that urge to call just to touch base and find out how they and their siblings are, but then not doing so because it has that slightly weird feel to it. At the same time, after being a part of their lives for awhile it also seems wrong to completely step back and become totally absent and not care.

Out of curiosity, have many of the forumites here had to deal with that sort of situation? And if so, how did you handle it?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."