What you did today

Gorth

I cancelled my vacation plans for next week. My dog Tommy is under the weather.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Something wrong with my car, besides springing a leak on the coolant feed to the turbo. Turned the engine over at work and it suddenly stopped, as if I had my foot on the brakes, gear in, and let go of the clutch. Just, turned over a few time - dead stop, no warning.

Also, went and got my back x-rayed. The operator couldn't see anything wrong, but I'll be seeing the doc on monday.

Edit; Spelling like a spastic.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Was forced today to initiate a first-ever Level One Disaster Emergency Response Protocol (L1 DERP). Parked, got out, opened the rear hatch, point zero seconds later a full, fresh gallon of premium exterior paint committed an unprecedented gravitational error, free-falling from vehicle deck-height, face-planting and popping open without remorse onto a private, sloped, black-asphalt driveway. The only other eyes-on in the area were five dogs and two cats. 

Ignoring panic and a bemused Doberman, the on-site operator laid down perfunctory canvas, right-sided the deformed container, brush-scooped the impressively aggressive puddle back into the can, activated pressurized water from a local source, and manually affected a hand-held wire brush to remove on-contact residue. After sixty minutes, no trace remained. An impressive recovery. So much so, no incident report was filed with local authorities who arrived hours later, unaware.

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

Now that there is some light out I took a closer look at my engine, the expansion vessel for the coolant was empty, wich is really, really, really bad since I filled it up to full yesterday when I left work (40km/~30miles). That's about one litre of fluid gone, besides the litre that had dissapeared previously. So I checked the oil stick (Or what do you call it in english?)... Found the missing water! There's about 50% more fluid in the oil pan as it should be and it's much to viscous.

And since the engine had trouble turning over, this probably means I had water in the cylinders and since water is nigh impossible to compress...

But there is some good news! I already have a head gasket and high performance bolts that I bought previously that I didn't actually need then. And I can rub my fathers nose with it since he thought I should return them. MWAHAHAHAHA!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

(L1 DERP)

Once back in the day, I was working "hazardous waste disposal" (not as dangerous as it sounds, its just garbage you cant throw away in the normal trash pickup like paint, car batteries, etc.). We would set up in a big parking lot and people would bring the stuff to us for sorting and disposal and some guy pulls up in a Lexus and pops the trunk. I walk over and look in and this guy had placed a 5 gallon container of white paint in the trunk, on its side. Well that didn't work out so good as somewhere along the trip the top had opened an the entire thing spilled out in the trunk, through the carpet, and pooled in the circular depression at the bottom that holds the spare tire. Knowing Lexus that was probably a couple thousand dollar screw up.

• Like 2

Was forced today to initiate a first-ever Level One Disaster Emergency Response Protocol (L1 DERP). Parked, got out, opened the rear hatch, point zero seconds later a full, fresh gallon of premium exterior paint committed an unprecedented gravitational error, free-falling from vehicle deck-height, face-planting and popping open without remorse onto a private, sloped, black-asphalt driveway. The only other eyes-on in the area were five dogs and two cats. 

Ignoring panic and a bemused Doberman, the on-site operator laid down perfunctory canvas, right-sided the deformed container, brush-scooped the impressively aggressive puddle back into the can, activated pressurized water from a local source, and manually affected a hand-held wire brush to remove on-contact residue. After sixty minutes, no trace remained. An impressive recovery. So much so, no incident report was filed with local authorities who arrived hours later, unaware.

That would explain the loud swearing in a male voice heard from far to the west

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

And just when I found a glimmer of positives in my day, it seems I ate something yesterday that doesn't really agree with me. I'm glad the toilet is just a few feet away. FML.

By the way, tried putting a plyboard underneath the mattress to make it a bit more stiff - sadly it didn't help. Tried rolling up a towel and placing that underneath my back, worked better - until I had to turn over to my side. :p

• Like 1

Sorting some things out and realised I have a box taking up space.... and it's full of games from the mid to late 90's. All in their boxes - the classic "big" game boxes before dvd slip cases became the norm. Most of them with cd's and floppy discs in and in pretty darn good condition.

The likes of the original Aliens vs Predator, Imperium Galactica II, FF VIII and more...

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. It just seems sacrilegious to just dump them all in the rubbish, yet they're really too old to be taken down a charity shop.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

My LG G4 decided to bootloop today, so that was fun. I resurrected it for...an hour so far, by using a hair dryer on the back. Managed to get all my photos off but still is a hassle to replace it or get it fixed (not sure if it is under warranty still

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sorting some things out and realised I have a box taking up space.... and it's full of games from the mid to late 90's. All in their boxes - the classic "big" game boxes before dvd slip cases became the norm. Most of them with cd's and floppy discs in and in pretty darn good condition.

The likes of the original Aliens vs Predator, Imperium Galactica II, FF VIII and more...

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. It just seems sacrilegious to just dump them all in the rubbish, yet they're really too old to be taken down a charity shop.

Depending on the quality of the boxes, you might be able to sell them fullprice on places like eBay. I bought a few gems a few years back like this. Most even unopened, which gave me a feeling like being back in my younger days. Awesome.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Why not write up a list? I might be interested.

• Like 1

Heh. Well let's see:

Games2_zpsvtbusbba.jpg

Games1_zps7ypzogu5.jpg

Along with a host of others.

Hm, Vampire the Masquerade Redemption, The Collectors Box for Baldur's Gate II, System Shock, Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos, Star Trek Next Generation: The Final Unity, Call to Power II, Master of Orion II... this could take some time to work through.

Heh. And a collection of 3.5 install disks for Windows 3.1 - Windows for Workgroups.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

my cat learned a new skill: short range teleport!

last night, trying to steal a piece of cheese i was holding, she moved like a dragonball character. in a blink she moved from sitting on the floor to grabbing my chest with her claws while trying to bite the part of the cheese that was between my fingers and my mouth

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Heh. Well let's see:

Along with a host of others.

Hm, Vampire the Masquerade Redemption, The Collectors Box for Baldur's Gate II, System Shock, Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos, Star Trek Next Generation: The Final Unity, Call to Power II, Master of Orion II... this could take some time to work through.

Heh. And a collection of 3.5 install disks for Windows 3.1 - Windows for Workgroups.

Niiice, there are a few nice ones there that I'm interested in, Thief 2 (My CD is missing, lent it out to a friend :( )  and Prophecy games.

Oh, and the Wheel of Time game, I tried getting that back in the day, but wasn't able to.

Wheel of Time game was an oddly enjoyable First-Person Shooter when you got down to it.

Wing Commander Prophecy was an interesting attempt.. I ended up getting the Gold Edition when it was pretty much impossible to download the rest of the game as they intended you to. Dial-up connections just didn't let you get the free expansion pack as they'd planned due to the large file size.

17309351_10155131217630746_8739492004743

Edited by Raithe

I envy that collection

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I did my taxes today. This was the first year in eight years I don't owe those bastards any money. And they don't owe me much. Perfect. I didn't give Unlce Sam an interest free loan this year. Now that I don't have business interests or sources of income other than my primary employment and my one rental property my return is getting quite simple.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

^Got the renovation done and already leased it? Sweet. Ive always wanted to own a few three flats and rent them out.

Yeah I've had a tenant there for a few months now. Nice folks, no complaints at all. I had to install a new overhead microwave oven for them a little while back but no big deal.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

the tax system here has a very weird way of operating that is borderline theft. we don't get taxed for what we make, we get taxed (especially those who own a business) based on imaginary income.

in my case i have to disclose what i made and what i spend for my business which is the normal thing to do. however, to the number that comes out of it they add an imaginary income of 3000 euro just because i exist, 3000 euro for owning a house (based on the size of the house), 2000 euro for owning a car (based on the cc) and the resulting imaginary income is taxed at 42%. then the tax amount is doubled because the law says i have to prepay next year's tax. then a separate tax comes for the house and car (which means these 2 things are taxed twice).

with a system like that, it's a wonder that there is anyone who isn't evading taxes

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.