What you did today

Gorth

I wish I was handy!

It's not much harder than changing the wheels to be honest, just a few more bolts, pop out the old bushing, pop the new one in and then tighten the bolts again. :)

Edit; Did that include new rims aswell?

To be fair, the oil change is only ~$40.00 of that $1200. The rest is repairs and tires.

EDIT: Oh, you mean the bushing. Disregard above. :lol:

I would've paid 40$ and then tell them to sod off, I only asked for an oil change. :/

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm probably not explaining it well, but I think they replace the entire control arm. That's like $200 and they are charging me $200 in labor. The tires and alignment are $560. That's expensive, and I know I can get a better price elsewhere. But this is a good shop and I know they will look out for me if anything goes wrong, so the peace of mind might be worth it. I've been struggling with this car for a couple years, it seems to get out of alignment easy and has had tire issues for awhile. I'm hoping this will give me a few years off from that.

I'm probably not explaining it well, but I think they replace the entire control arm. That's like $200 and they are charging me $200 in labor. The tires and alignment are $560. That's expensive, and I know I can get a better price elsewhere. But this is a good shop and I know they will look out for me if anything goes wrong, so the peace of mind might be worth it. I've been struggling with this car for a couple years, it seems to get out of alignment easy and has had tire issues for awhile. I'm hoping this will give me a few years off from that.

It's almost easier to change the entire arm to be honest, then you don't have to fiddle as much with the bushings, that takes more time than getting the arms off. That said, I live in a country where the roads are salted all winter and rust is a common problem, but I've been under plenty of 20+ year old cars, and I've almost never seen a pair of control arms that needed changing. Not counting beater cars though. Since you live in California I doubt you meet alot of salted roads.

200$ for the control arm is about what I'd expect though.

560$ for a two tyres?! :blink:

It seems to me you're getting fleeced.

Hmm... what car are you driving by the way?

Also, how's Missy doing, post-op?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

They are replacing all 4 tires, it is a 2010 Ford Fusion. I probably am getting fleeced.   :(

The surgery went well, she was pretty miserable for a few days but today she is moving around, and wants to go back to work tomorrow. Her gall bladder was calcified a bit, so it was good they got it out. We'll know more after the post-op appt. in a few days, but so far so good.   :thumbsup:

We had a crazy issue with the hospital though. They wanted her to give a $1500 deposit for the surgery. We have insurance, and regardless the hospital cannot make you pay in order to receive treatment, it isn't elective surgery. We ended up calling our insurance company, and the lady on the phone was like "Oh hell no, let me talk to them." She yelled at them for a bit, it was pretty entertaining but weird. Medical care is a mess right now.

Haha, I actually can't find out what that car is, they're named differently in Europe ^^

Replacing all four tyres at once? Weird, tyres rarely wear out in the same speed. The tyres on the drive wheels wear out first so you switch between the fresher tyres from the non-drive wheels, and the next season you buy new ones for the drive wheels again. Atleast the price makes more sense that way, depending on the quality on the tyres it's good enough. It's the same price I paid about ~130$ per tyre.

The control arm might be built in an way that forces them to change the whole thing when the bushing gives out, that's the only reason I can think of to change the whole thing, and it wouldn't surprise me either since car companies nowadays are run by idiots and ****.

I'm glad to hear that she's fine, has she been floating on those pain meds you were talking about? =P

Looking forward to next podcast ;)

I'm not the least bit surprised about medcare problems to be honest, but I'm glad the insurance company helped you out. =)

• Like 1

Explaining why you slice the pie on entering rooms doesn't make one seem less weird.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

finally got a chance to take the dogs for a walk after a week of rain.  spent almost as much time cleaning 'em up afterwards as we did walking 'em.  is now up to six dogs we take on our regular jaunts as two o' our friends is having dogs but is disabled, so am now managing three border collies, a medium-sized mutt, a small mutt, and a shih-poo.  

the shih-poo, our deceased sister's dog, is acting a bit funny.  am considering taking it to the vet.  seems to be ok save for it sudden doesn't wanna jump onto the couch or beds or anything more than 1" high.  is usually a very springy dog.  is perhaps a bit more lethargic than usual, but am not certain if such an observation o' diminished verve is our imagination at work or actual listlessness.  checked paws and legs, and generally poked around to see if he reacted in pain, but we got no response to stimulus. 

current moderate annoyed 'bout dogie inability to communicate effectively.  stoopid dogs.

HA! Good Fun!

ps just noticed. according to our most recent 3 months o' electric bills, Gromnir is using less electricity than the threshold o' 20% most efficient users who have similar house size v. occupant number profiles in our area.  considering we live in +2700sqft home built in 1982 with no solar and an antiquated water heater we Really need to replace, am actual surprised. sure, we keep heat at 'bout 65 degrees during the winter months, but our neighbors must needs be horrible energy hogs we is bettering +80% o' them. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

many years ago, when i was still a student, i was reading a comic set in a semi dystopian future (everything looks shiny on the surface but it's rotten under it). most volumes were self contained stories (with the occasional story spanning 2 or 3 at times) and in one of them there was a corporation that made medicines targeted specifically to pregnant women. without anyone knowing however, the medicines contained substances designed to alter the DNA of the babies in a way that made them allergic to any product that was not specially made to account for these alterations with the goal to create a monopoly for their affiliates by making everyone else look like a poisoner of kids.

now im mentioning this because (to hear my mother say it) i have always been like these kids... at least when it comes to my skin. when i was a baby, i would get a rash if they put anything but a particular brand of diapers on me. since the time i was in university i started having zits in my hair if i used any shampoo except one and later i developed a skin disease in my armpits that persisted for years despite all treatments, until recently when i found (by chance) the one soap that does not irritate the skin in the area and it's finally getting better even with no treatment. 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Whelp, been at the vet with a rattie whose state was steadily deteriorating past the last week or so. She told us it looks like his organism is completely exhausted due to infection he's been diagnosed with (infections spread really fast in rats), pumped him with strongest antibiotics she can give to a rat and said that if he doesn't get better until the evening, he probably won't get better at all. Cross your fingers.

It's this guy in case you require visual aid:

fZiLuWE.jpg

He stole that pizza. And the cake.

I keep my heat at 65 degrees and I am paying out the nose. :(

Seems a bit low. Granted winter here is proper winter :p we have it running at 73 here.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

is not as if our bill is cheap.  simply means we use less energy per month than 80% o' our neighbors.  our surprise is not how low is our bill, but rather the recognition that our neighbors is necessarily terrible at conserving. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

65°C is quite harsh, imo. :p

Sound normal to me to be honest.

Also, 14C in my room at the moment, have'nt played anything on my computer or it'd rise.

Hey, I give the kids blankets. My wife would agree with all of you.   :p

They have sweaters. =P

Edited by Azdeus

My condo is always in the mid to high 70s and occasionally dips into the low 80s. Of course we also walk around the house in our underoos... or less. Our electricity bill is high according to the energy company but we don't actually run the heat that often, our place just heats up quickly and stays warm. I usually just open the door to the balcony to cool the place down

Free games updated 3/4/21

That's around 18.3C according to Google. I don't think my AirCo can even get the temperature that low inside at the moment, regardless how long I let it run.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That's around 18.3C according to Google. I don't think my AirCo can even get the temperature that low inside at the moment, regardless how long I let it run.

It's still that bad down there? No sign of the heat going away yet?

It's still that bad down there? No sign of the heat going away yet?

You are probably thinking of the heat wave they had in NSW (which seems to be over now) :)

I live in QLD. The temperatures (33-36C) are normal summer temperatures. It will get cooler in the late autumn.

Edit to add: PSA: That would be approx. 91-96F

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Spent the morning twenty miles inland. Would never have known a crippling drought reigned for a decade. Avocado orchards, citrus trees, grape vines, patches of green, shallow depressions filled with ... water. Was beautiful, old-Mediterranean verdant.   

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

Went to the dentist, ****ing usury. 100$ for 40 minutes work, though effectively 25 minutes "work".

Went to the dentist, ****ing usury. 100$ for 40 minutes work, though effectively 25 minutes "work".

Consultancy, my friend.

Back from second visit to the vet, apparently, rattie managed to cough out most of the fluid in its lungs and should be better now - as long as he starts eating properly again. And if the disease doesn't prove to be resistant to antibiotics.

• Like 3