What you did today

Gorth

Start of old thread
End of old thread

I have an alt on these boards... :shifty:

Below is quoted from Orogun, end of previous thread:

I thought you were calling me illiterate for not knowing the exact difference between a bard and a skald.

Now I DO feel illiterate.

Isn't a Skald a viking bard? What's the difference? Do Skalds only play heavy metal and don't require consent to bed someone?

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

still getting used to a new dynamic at work. I'm "running" a store that's not even it's own store, but looks like my company is doing a corporate pay raise for everyone hourly.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm seriously mulling getting a CDL and becoming a driver.  The downside is that for the first year or two, at least, I'd have to do long haul driving, which comes with its own advantages and disadvantages.  On the down side, it can be a rather unhealthy lifestyle, you tend to work long hours, it's nigh impossible to lead any type of regular social life, and you're away from home 90% of the time.  On the up side, the pay is decent and you get to travel all over the country and see places you might otherwise never get to visit.  Long haul truckers are always in demand because it's a job that always need doing everywhere and not many people are up to doing it.  There are companies that will train you, pay you while they train you, and pay for your CDL test, in exchange for agreeing to work for them for at least a set period of time after you pass your test, usually a year or 15 months or so.  After that, you can keep working for them or work for someone else.  Alternatively, you could pay for training and the test yourself and not be under contract to work for anybody after the test, but you're still probably going to have to work long haul for a year or two because you're not going to get a local CDL driving job with no experience.

So, assuming I go through with this, the plan is that I'll wait until late February or March then quit my current job and hook up with a company that will train me and pay me while they're doing it.  I don't want to do it now because I don't want to take the chance of getting sent to Minnesota or North Dakota or something while I'm still learning the ropes and have to untarp (a process that can take half an hour or longer) in 0 degree temperatures.  Conversely, I don't want to start in the summer and have to untarp in Houston in 105 degree temperatures with the sun beating on me while just starting out.  Both are scenarios I may well have to face eventually, I just don't want to face them while still wet behind the ears.  Anyway, I'll do long haul for 2 years or so, then try to get a local driving job where I can be home on a regular basis and lead a more regular life again.  If I wind up hating the job I can always go back to what I am doing now, plus having a CDL is a very useful tool that opens up jobs that are not all driving, but require someone who has a CDL in case driving a big rig is needed.

If I do go through with it, I'll report back here and give you stories from the open road.  Also, I'll need a spiffy handle like Dirty Frog or something for my fellow truckers to call me by (or maybe that's just in the movies  :lol: ).

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

one o' our jobs in high school and college (after we quit football) were roofing supply.  utter miserable job.  nevertheless, the bigger roofing supply companies tended to have trucks and never enough drivers. what the companies would do is allow their employees to train and practice on their vehicles when not killing themselves as clowns on amphetamines threw 30-40lb stacks o' concrete tile at each other as fast as possible as they were getting paid by the square.

if you are genuine interested in a commercial driver's license, you might wanna consider a non-truck driving job which will train you to drive trucks.  won't be any long-term contractual obligations or pay for training.  'course most such jobs is gonna suck.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Keyrock, my mother-in-law runs a trucking company, so I can ask her some details about it if you need. She hauls sand and gravel locally, so her drivers are done by the end of the day. My father-in-law has also driven truck for 40 years, so he's got a bunch of details, and he did long haul for a couple summers. I know one key is to get your exercise in when you make pit stops. Many truck stops are getting better at offering good options for driver health.

• Like 1

I turned 25 and managed to wake up sore and hungover. Taking it easy today.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Happy birthday.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Keyrock, my mother-in-law runs a trucking company, so I can ask her some details about it if you need. She hauls sand and gravel locally, so her drivers are done by the end of the day. My father-in-law has also driven truck for 40 years, so he's got a bunch of details, and he did long haul for a couple summers. I know one key is to get your exercise in when you make pit stops. Many truck stops are getting better at offering good options for driver health.

Thanks for the advice.  Another thing I'm going to do, if I go through with this, is keep a constant supply of deli meats, veggies, and fruit on hand.  That should not only save me money, but also allow me to eat healthier than I would otherwise living off truck stop food exclusively.

Edit:  Also, Happy Birthday KaineParker.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Happy birthday! :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Thanks for the advice.  Another thing I'm going to do, if I go through with this, is keep a constant supply of deli meats, veggies, and fruit on hand.  That should not only save me money, but also allow me to eat healthier than I would otherwise living off truck stop food exclusively.

Edit:  Also, Happy Birthday KaineParker.

All I can say is DON'T go with TMC. They'll hire any dumbass to "train" for crap pay in comparison. The companies I know/have dealt with are Ruan, Decker, and Schnieder. Deckers based out of Ft Dodge Iowa, kinda small. Ruan is nation wide, built up in Des Moines, as is Schneider. All three are company stuff, so finding a rig wouldn't be a problem. Ideally though, you'd want to work for somebody like Walmart or Martin Bower (the guys who drive McD's trucks) Simply because the benefits are best.

The other option to do would be to find a place that would get you a class B CDL for busses. That's one of those things that most people don't consider simply because Trucking is so hard up for employees (and possibly dead within a decade)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Happy Birthday young grasshopper  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Happy Birthday KP. I hate to tell you this but starting right about 25 and getting worse as you grow older, hangovers go from being an inconvenience to a seriously debilitating condition that lays you up for 24 hours or more.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Happy Birthday KP. I hate to tell you this but starting right about 25 and getting worse as you grow older, hangovers go from being an inconvenience to a seriously debilitating condition that lays you up for 24 hours or more.

Very pithy words, very wise  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Coworker was talking about his Tinder match wanting a connection, and my first question was "UDP or TCP?". Then we spent a while figuring out how Networking terms could be applied to relationships

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Got my fiber connection working today. Now I only have to find out who my ISP actually is...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Got my fiber connection working today. Now I only have to find out who my ISP actually is...

Congrats on your healthy bowel movements. I am not sure what the acronym ISP means in relation to a fibrous diet, but it is probably best left as a mystery.   :ninja:

• Like 2

Got my fiber connection on monday and it doesnt work. :D dsl connects, but then my router only throws PPPoE errors. Already called the hotline, but this crap takes like forever... doubt anything will happen today and tomorrow i wont be home... so annoying.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."