What is wrong with the Quest portion of the game?

What are the problems with the Quest mode of the game? I have just recently started playing and I am curious about what people are talking about. So far I enjoy the Quest mode the most, so I hope they don't do away with this part of the game.

Thanks for any input.

Flux

There is nothing "wrong" with Quest Mode. It is just a little more complicated than people give it credit for.

The Pathfinder ACG has years of play testing behind the Adventure Decks, but a random mix-and-match approach has always been uncharted territory.  Purely random scenarios can get ugly, and may range in difficulty from "way too easy" to "spectacular hot-mess". 

To address that, Obsidian built a series of templates for each quest Tier that constrain the RNG a little.  That's why random scenarios still feel similar as you step your way through the tiers.  When you factor in the wildcard powers, some quests may be more fun than others, but they aren't generally unwinnable.

As it stands, quest mode looks like it is at a minor crossroads.  Now that every Adventure Deck has been released, fifteen scenarios of new content needs to be balanced against the three-dozen or so wildcard powers to build templates for Tiers 4, 5, and 6.  But between the bugs and a potential PC release, seems like there is more than enough other stuff to keep the devs busy.

Flounder posted something to this effect in a dev blog not too long ago.  He also wanted to prepare us of the worst-case-scenario where Quest Mode proves unfixable and gets eliminated, but it sounds like they're going to do their best to make sure it remains part of the game.

There is currently a bug in Quest mode, actually.  For some characters with maxed out card feats the game is trying to give another and is blocked because it can't.  There is a thread on this already: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/90745-card-feat-unlock-issue/

Other than that literal issue with Quest mode, there is nothing 'wrong' with it that I know of.  I love playing Quest mode.  I hope it gets fixed because I miss taking a break from Story mode, which I find harder, and I miss being able to mix and match a party together based on whoever I feel like playing at the time.

• Like 1

Add info you find/want to the Pathfinder Adventures wiki

Other than that literal issue with Quest mode, there is nothing 'wrong' with it that I know of.  I love playing Quest mode.  I hope it gets fixed because I miss taking a break from Story mode, which I find harder, and I miss being able to mix and match a party together based on whoever I feel like playing at the time.

I hope it gets fixed too.

Quest mode rewards has always had funny issues though.  First, dead characters permanently missed feats.  Then feats were retroactively rewarded.  Next, there were issues awarding a character multiple earned feats at a time.  Now we're at a point where characters are being granted multiple un-earned feats.  Every revision is gradually outpacing the bugs, but, it is unfortunate that "too much of a good thing" (i.e. feats) is inadvertently loading out quest characters to the point of breaking the game.

I'm almost willing to bet this is a downstream effect of whatever fix went into solving characters that missed out on selecting a role.  At least it is the sort of thing a later patch can address.

I too hope it gets fixed. I love the randomness of the Quest mode, more so than the story mode. How hard could it be to fix it, just move some 0's and 1's around. After all its just code Right? Just kidding. I really hope quest mode stays in the game. I wish it would be possible to make it a stand alone version.