Some rolls where you can't apply a blessing?

Hi, I am confused on one aspect of the game. I was fighting the Wendigo in 6.1 and you have to make an arcane check before you can use a spell. However, it makes the roll "hidden" and doesn't let you apply items or blessings to it. This one roll can destroy a whole game, if your wizard cannot even use a spell against the boss.

I really don't understand why the wizard or others cannot play blessings on that check. The wizard also had Robe of Runes and doesn't get to use that either. 

As far as I can remember there is very, very few situations in which you can't play blessing on your own check (location that say you can play only one card per check is one of them) but in this situation you should have been able to play it...

Are you sure you're not overlooking some location power (I once almost lost a scenario because I sent my spellcaster to fight a villain in a location where I can't play spells...)

I know it wasn't the first adventure, I think the 3rd (with the spiders) where you have to roll a d6, and if you get 1-3 you can't cast spells, so yeah, there ARE instances where you simply can't.

Regardless, I don't see how this one roll can destroy your whole game...

I mean, if you had something come down to the last card in the blessings deck and it's your wizard's turn, isn't that just the way the cookie crumbles?

I don't know how many characters you have in your party, but if they couldn't play 'em for that arcane check, you should be able to play them on your caster's physical attack roll!

Ezren and Seoni can both carry weapons, Harsk could snipe AND discard a bow to add to your attack, and if you're at the location with Valeros he gives you a 'helping hand'...

There are so many ways to go about doing things in this game, which is one of the reasons I enjoy it so much.

And also, what if  you were successful on the check, but ya just biffed it and rolled crummy for your attack spell?