Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

Guest The Architect

Baby Driver. I LOVED this. The action was well choreographed in time with the music, and complimented by witty dialogue from memorable characters with a believable, endearing romance. It's everything I wished the f&f movies were and I don't buy that self-aware argument entirely as Dominic takes himself waaaaaay too seriously but I digress. 

Edited by The Architect

• "Aladdin -- Mena Massoud (Jack Ryan)
  • Jasmine -- Naomi Scott (Power Rangers)
  • The Genie -- Will Smith"

Disney is being attacked for RACISM by SJW Nazis for this casting. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I think part of the attacks have been in the style of "Hollywood can constantly cast middle-eastern actors as terrorists, but they can't find one to play Aladdin?"

To which my response is generally, Hollywood has been casting English actors as criminal masterminds for decades. Learn to live with it. The bad guys usually have the best and most quotable lines. ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

This just goes along with the fact that  no matter what you do SJW Nazis will always find something to cry about.  You can't please the unpleaseable. SJW Nazis need to complain about something so they'll find something to complain about because if they ain't complaining do they really exist?

Anyways, onto more important movie matters.. I'm no fan of the MCU. In fact, I have never seen one in theatre. That said, I've been watching some on netflex. I gotta say. Thor 1 is pretty darn good. It hits all the marks.  The two first Captain Amerikas are alright but to me Chris Evans is so uneven and sometimes I just can't take hims seriously but both those films are watchable.

Thor matches up with DCU movies but Capter Amerika is not at their level. Not even close.

The two first Captain Amerikas are alright but to me Chris Evans is so uneven and sometimes I just can't take hims seriously but both those films are watchable.

Really? Hm, I find those films some problems but I didn't think anything was wrong with Chris Evans. He ended up being a much more solid Captain America than I expected, but maybe those expecations made me appreciate him more.

Apparently Naomi Scott, being only of "Indian descent", is therefore too white for the role. Whut?

Something to do with young white liberals wanting to buy into the idea that white civilization is so great it changed the concept of beauty in all of Asia. As if the upper class of those societies hadn't long developed beauty standards for fair skin a long time before. But they just love thinking that not only is there heritage so great to affect such a change, but their ability to transcend their own inherited guilt imbues them with considerable amounts of fungible virtue. Throw in a little bit of speaking on behalf of other people because you need propagate the notion that those people have no voice in the modern age to still hold true in order for you actions to be justified, all while co-opting the crab mentality of held by a vocal minority in some identity group other than your own and turn it into a rhetoric point by which to play power politics within the their own identity group for which they feel they are too low on given their innate virtue.

Edited by injurai

Thor matches up with DCU movies but Capter Amerika is not at their level. Not even close.

Final, undeniable proof that you're utterly insane. :yes:

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Not my fault you think Captain ****merika is as good as Wonder Woman. That is the definition of insanity.

"Really? Hm, I find those films some problems but I didn't think anything was wrong with Chris Evans. He ended up being a much more solid Captain America than I expected, but maybe those expecations made me appreciate him more."

He has some good scenes but a lot of time I just blink and chuckle at the attempt to take him seriously.

Not my fault you think Captain ****merika is as good as Wonder Woman. That is the definition of insanity.

I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet, but that's not the really point. Both the first Captain America and Thor movies were okayish origin stories. Competently made, middle-of-the-road filmmaking, average and forgettable (doubly sad for Thor, I know Ash & Zack can do better than that) - certainly amongst the weakest offerings of the MCU.

For better or worse that isn't nearly close to any of the DC movies. Those were much, but certainly not forgettable.

The Winter Soldier on the other hand is amongst the best comic book movies ever made, Marvel, DC or otherwise. Hence the insanity of putting the generic Thor ahead of it. ;)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet, but that's not the really point. Both the first Captain America and Thor movies were okayish origin stories. Competently made, middle-of-the-road filmmaking, average and forgettable (doubly sad for Thor, I know Ash & Zack can do better than that) - certainly amongst the weakest offerings of the MCU.

For better or worse that isn't nearly close to any of the DC movies. Those were much, but certainly not forgettable.

The Winter Soldier on the other hand is amongst the best comic book movies ever made, Marvel, DC or otherwise. Hence the insanity of putting the generic Thor ahead of it. ;)

To be honest it's The Winter Soldier that felt extremely generic and pedestrian to me, and was one of the most anonymously directed films of the saga so far. Thor at the very least showed *some* spark of life through its high fantasy trope subversions and nicely-paced banters.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

The Winter Soldier I thought was one of the best films in the MCU. At least content and pacing wise. It went more in depth with characters and inter-character relationships than any of the previous movies. Plus it had compelling antagonist and finale.

I'd probably say the best comic book films are X2, Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins, First Class, Winter Soldier, and Logan.

Personally I felt it was entirely unremarkable. I mean, I would go more in-depth about it but I honestly don't remember much of anything about it, except my general feeling that it all felt drab and lifeless, the photography felt almost amateurish at times, very unevoking, grey and flat... I recall some Hydra shenanigans which ended with Cap jumping around flying carriers much like the one we saw in The Avengers, and that's really about it. I wasn't expecting much going into it and my expectations were pretty much met. Also I had heard some remarks about it being similar to a 70s espionage thriller, which were just completely off the mark.

My personal favorites when it comes to superhero movies are probably something like: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Kick-Ass, Logan, X-Men: First Class, X2: X-Men United. Pretty sure I'm forgetting one or two. So far I wouldn't really rank any of the MCU amidst my favorites lest you count series/seasons (season 1 of Daredevil and Luke Cage would make the cut, as well as Legion in Fox's case).

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Watched Civil War. This was Evan's best work. Tony Stark on the other hand except at the end was a giant tool. Why would ANYONE ever want to sign a document you at ebeing bullied into signing under threat of death  and/or lifetime imprisonment. Espicially the UN. One of the most evil Nazi organizations ever.

On to the Avenger films. :(

P.S. Kind of hard to take the big super hero war here seriously because too many jokes and too many punches thrown - escept a few who seemed  intent on killing. L0L

Edited by Volourn

That Civil War movie made me watch Ant Man, though, which I enjoyed more than I thought I would.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Man, I saw a negative review of Dunkirk and Nolan fanboys were ripping into the reviewer. Then I checked Rotten Tomatoes and found the few negative reviews have the same thing. I try not to have other people's opinions or actions influence my enjoyment of movies or games, but that kind of behaviour makes me sad. Also, so many accusations of being clickbait or paid shills - is it so hard to understand these days that someone might just have a different opinion? :(

Doesn't affect my decision to skip the film for now and wait for home release - Nolan movies (the non-Batman ones anyway) tend to be attention-intensive and I prefer to watch them in the comfort of my own home where I can pause and rewind at my leisure. I enjoy them more that way. I had to take an emergency bathroom break during Interstellar's theater showing and completely didn't understand the rest of the film at the time. :p Nothing worse than one and a half hour of trying to catch up with what's going on.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 2

Antman - Typical Marvel movie.   Entertaining enough to watch but clearly by the numbers. Michael Douglas (not Keaton!) shows yet again why he is one of the best actors ever since, by all rights, this is a boring role, but he makes it works. Biggest weakness is the main villain. I just didn't take him seriously. Plain awful and just plain whiny.

Edited by Volourn