Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

I must admit I haven't been paying attention much, and this slipped up on me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UrQ4VvFO-c

So, we're getting two Churchill films and a Dunkirk this year.... I wonder what's driving that.

Was just thinking about that myself, actually... Seems pretty curious. All the same, looking forward to Dunkirk.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

So, we're getting two Churchill films and a Dunkirk this year.... I wonder what's driving that.

Looks interesting.

I just saw Walking Tall a couple days ago for the first time. I would compare it to a remake of Roadhouse but with a twist. I mean it's different but you can tell the inspiration from it right away.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I wanted to take a minute to talk about how ridiculous the newest "Texas Chainsaw" movie was... Yes, they got a super hot girl (Alexandra Dadarrio) to play the main role but what's strange is how they made the bad guy, Leatherface, look like the good guy in the good guy in this one.

Now, if this movie wasn't based off true events, then this would be okay and I wouldn't think it was weird at all but at the end, it shows Leatherface defending a girl as the girl kicks the chainsaw over to him, and shouts "Do your thing Cuz!" encouraging Leatherdace to end more lives. I just didn't think that was too cool.

Then again, I'm not sure why movies about a real life killing spree is such entertainment to the American audience. It's no different than a movie about 9/11 but for whatever reason, people treat these things differently.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

To explain further, the reason why it bothered me is because Texas Chainsaw massacre was real, it DID happen and it was already bad enough that movies abiut the true life victims were being mad for out entertainment but the last one felt like an open mockery.

I don't think a 9/11 or Boston bombing movie will ever be made which makes those events into a joke (although they did make that one movie about Colombine shooting defending the shooters which was in theater) So it's strange that they would do so with an event that's just as horrible but inside the country.

Edited by SonicMage117

And, the funny thing is, I haven't seen any of these new ones because I'm still butthurt over it despite the fact the films look decent. L0L

Not. My. Apes.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

To explain further, the reason why it bothered me is because Texas Chainsaw massacre was real, it DID happen and it was already bad enough that movies abiut the true life victims were being mad for out entertainment but the last one felt like an open mockery.

I don't think a 9/11 or Boston bombing movie will ever be made which makes those events into a joke (although they did make that one movie about Colombine shooting defending the shooters which was in theater) So it's strange that they would do so with an event that's just as horrible but inside the country.

Are you trolling or being serious? If you're being serious you should do some fact checking before you get on a high horse; the Texas Chainsaw massacre is just a movie. The main baddie and some plot elements were inspired by real life serial killer Ed Gein, who was also the inspiration for the baddie in Psycho. The real Ed Gein was a far cry from Leatherface, with just the grotesque acts being used for the character and no real connection to Gein. 

TL;DR

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is as real as any other Hollywood movie "based" on real events.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Are you trolling or being serious? If you're being serious you should do some fact checking before you get on a high horse; the Texas Chainsaw massacre is just a movie. The main baddie and some plot elements were inspired by real life serial killer Ed Gein, who was also the inspiration for the baddie in Psycho. The real Ed Gein was a far cry from Leatherface, with just the grotesque acts being used for the character and no real connection to Gein.

TL;DR

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is as real as any other Hollywood movie "based" on real events.

This is what happens when you don't read all of it lol

There's a huge difference between "Texas Chainsaw" and "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" One makes a mockery of the tragedy while the other movie respects the real-life families or victims of the events.

Regardless of if it's loosely based on the true event, one movie makes the bad guy look like the good guy. Would having a loosely based movie depicting the 9/11 or Manchester bombers as the good guys be okay too? Something tells me that in 20 years, nobody will care either way but that doesn't make it any less wrong. It should bother people but it probably won't.

Edited by SonicMage117

TL;DR

This is what happens when you don't read all of it lol

There's a huge difference between "Texas Chainsaw" and "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" One makes a mockery of the tragedy while the other movie respects the real-life families or victims of the events.

Regardless of if it's loosely based on the true event, one movie makes the bad guy look like the good guy. Would having a loosely based movie depicting the 9/11 or Manchester bombers as the good guys be okay too? Something tells me that in 20 years, nobody will care either way but that doesn't make it any less wrong. It should bother people but it probably won't.

Except there wasn't any Chainsaw massacre IRL can't fathom why you feel so strongly about something that didn't happen.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

The Tourist.

It's somewhat slick, has some gorgeous visuals of Venice, and is just a touch silly. Depp and Jolie don't have great chemistry, but they make it work as best they can. Paul Bettany is great as the obsessive Inspector, and Steven Berkoff doing another good turn as a somewhat chilling and disturbing crime lord. It does feel like they've tried doing a call back to the classic Cary Grant era style of film, but haven't got it gelling quite well enough.

But still, I think it's one of those guilty entertainments.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Looks interesting.

I just saw Walking Tall a couple days ago for the first time. I would compare it to a remake of Roadhouse but with a twist. I mean it's different but you can tell the inspiration from it right away.

I feel like I've seen it already. I fell asleep.

Lots of better stories for a WW2 extravaganza. We're going to show the extraordinary courage of the common man, yada yada yada, there is going to be an American tourist on a yacht thrown in there so the yanks have something to connect with. 

The French who stayed behind fighting a rear guard action against impossible odds , those are the real heroes.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I just want to say that the after credits stinger in the new Spiderman is, objectively, the best segment of the sort, of all time, any future films included.

Worth the price of admission, although, experiencing the whole movie is required.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It seems the violence isn't the problem? Are they too politicized or nationalistic? Or is it just "war is hell" realism being too much?

Not trying to judge, just curious. I know American Sniper rubbed me the wrong way with the heroization of a single solider, who didn't seem to be all great of a person. Yet possibly my favorite war movie is by that same director.

Realistic war movies have never really held my interest and it was that way long before I ever went off to war myself so dunno why. The actual content doesn't bother me at all I'm just not interested in the subject.

I'm weird, I know, and maybe a little dead inside.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Realistic war movies have never really held my interest and it was that way long before I ever went off to war myself so dunno why. The actual content doesn't bother me at all I'm just not interested in the subject.

I'm weird, I know, and maybe a little dead inside.

Just say that you were probably a soldier in your previous life and that's why you can't stand them. From what you're saying it seems like is the truth.

village_idiot.gif

Did you always know that you wanted to be a solider. Speaking completely from arm chair. The profession that people tend towards, it often seems like they have less of a tolerance for depictions of whatever that profession is. Most of the kids I grew up with that liked military stuff and war movies didn't go into the service. Those that didn't seem as interested were more likely to take that path as they got older.

I know most people that were into tech didn't care much for hacker / programmer movies because the depictions just rubbed them the wrong way. Those same people tend to dislike Silicon Valley (the show.) There might be something there with this affect. You get enough just knowing about the real thing.

Disney has officially unveiled its central cast for Guy Ritchie's live-action adaptation of the classic animated film Aladdin. At the D23 Expo, the studio revealed who will play Aladdin, Jasmine, and the Genie:

• Aladdin -- Mena Massoud (Jack Ryan)
  • Jasmine -- Naomi Scott (Power Rangers)
  • The Genie -- Will Smith

The news officially confirms the rumors that Will Smith will step into the role so famously played by Robin Williams in 1992.

The announcement comes after reports that the film was having a lot of trouble casting its lead role. While the studio reportedly had several actresses in mind for Jasmine (including the winner Naomi Scott), Disney apparently struggled to cast Aladdin.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the studio was looking for an actor in his 20s, who could sing and dance and was of "Middle-Eastern or Indian descent," and it spent months screen testing actors with no success. With today's news, it's confirmed Canadian actor Mena Massoud will play the role.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Did you always know that you wanted to be a solider. Speaking completely from arm chair. The profession that people tend towards, it often seems like they have less of a tolerance for depictions of whatever that profession is. Most of the kids I grew up with that liked military stuff and war movies didn't go into the service. Those that didn't seem as interested were more likely to take that path as they got older.

I know most people that were into tech didn't care much for hacker / programmer movies because the depictions just rubbed them the wrong way. Those same people tend to dislike Silicon Valley (the show.) There might be something there with this affect. You get enough just knowing about the real thing.

I think it's probably the same for any job, once you know more about a thing you start to notice how poorly it is sometimes portrayed.

But as I said before I didn't care for war movies before joining the military and after the military I just notice the little things like inaccurate uniform/politics/lingo... but mostly uniforms because you see those in a lot of different movies and shows. I get why they sex up tech stuff (which is what I do now and what I did in the military) but it just seems lazy to me to get uniforms wrong so often since guidelines and pictures and videos are a quick web search away.

Free games updated 3/4/21

So Deckard is a replicant that can be used to make eternal replicants, I guess?

Seems meh, anyway

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

To me as dumbass ideas go it's up there with "the reason why the Engineers hate us is because two-thousand seventeen years ago we killed one of their own they sent back to Earth to teach us peace and love".

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Nightcrawler, after being in my watch list for a couple of years. Good reminder of why I don't watch many modern movies. Blunt, B movie level direction/writing and a camera man with zero depth of field. How can a movie, shot predominantly outdoors, still feel so closed in? Cheap, modern digital age of no finesse - that's how.