Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

is more than a few films on our list o' overrated, but the big lebowski is near the top. am thinking a message board such as this is more likely gonna include fans o' lebowski than the other such films on our list. crash, how the west was won, brokeback mountain, out of africa, titanic, forrest gumpbirdman (aka: self indulgent actor-pr0n masquerading as a movie) and the majority o' woody allen films is overrated in our opinion. 'course given the traditional obsidian crpg demographic, is unsurprising we see less fans o' meryl streep than the dude.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I love The Big Lebowski but I don't really get the cult following for the dude. I'm a big Tarantino fan but Kill Bill is just okay for me.

Totally agree with Birdman. Other than the cinematography, I thought it was a rather garish and pretentious. However, I'm certain that it helped Michael Keaton get cast into Spotlight which was a fantastic film. I much preferred The Revenant but that was itself marred by the ghosty wife visions, which really messed with what the movie had going for it. It broke the continuum which kept your fixed in the tone and format, and when trying to get back into it, you felt like the film had revealed how it was manipulating your emotions and you felt kind of peeved for it for pulling down it's own curtains.

The Titanic was a tour de force in filming. I think it seems overrated because of how much it grossed. There is no doubt the Cameron is the master of aquatic filming. One of the best examples of a hybridized narrative approach as well.

Forest Gump I'd agree with you. It's a nice feel good and I can't really be upset for people liking it. More than anything I think I just like Tom Hanks, and it's a nice humanizing role for him to be in.

Came across Yoga Hosers and saw it was by Kevin Smith. What the eff happened to Kevin Smith? This movie is one of the worst, dumbest and most insulting things I've ever seen.

He's a talentless hack ?.

Silent bob and what's the one where Alan Rickman is a fallen angel - long time ago now and he's past it. 

Dogma, but Alan Rickman wasn't a fallen angel he played the Metatron. The fallen angels were played by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.

Watched Burn After Reading. Didn't know it was Coen Brothers until the end, but I'm surprised I didn't guess that half-way through.

The film itself is great, but the content is like watching a train wreck. It's engrossing for all the wrong reasons. The movie was like reading a tabloid on nobodies and you still couldn't look away.

Yeah I've not really enjoyed their movies since No Contry for Old Men, although I haven't seen Hail Caesar! yet. They're great directors though, but maybe they've run out of good stories to tell :)

may seem like a quibble, but am gonna note true grit were released three years after no country for old men. true grit is not only excellent and vintage coen, but roger deakins were also clear at the top o' his game. fantastic storytelling. beautiful film. deserves to be on any top 10 modern western list.

in the spirit o' full disclosure, Gromnir and cassidy is in full agreement regarding the big lebowski.

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah well, nobody's perfect and you'll have to own up to not liking The Big Lebowski when you meet your maker. I just hope for your soul that your good deeds outweigh that. :devil:

Edit:

Although, I guess we all have one of these. For me it's Kill Bill, I absolutely don't get the fawning over that pointless collection of homage - and I generally enjoy such movies (loved Turbo Kid for instance).

When it comes to Kill Bill and Tarantino in general I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with Mark Kermode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAPrGnSDxXI

Also agree with many of Gromnir's list though I did love Birdman and The Big Lebowski, and do like plenty of Woody Allen films (also reckon he's talking about the Oscar-winner Crash and not Cronenberg's Ballard adaptation, the latter which is fantastic). I do take issue with the term "overrated", however, since it tackles the reception of a film more so than the film itself - everyone's in their own right to like or dislike something, and I don't think they are *wrong* to do so, whereas to say a film is blanketly "overrated" is kind of implying just that. I also take a lot of issue with the word "pretentious", just because I've seen it used too often to mean the same as "ambitious"... But it being Iñárritu we're talking about I'll let that slide. :p I just think Birdman is a very muscular piece of filmmaking, from the performances to the cinematography to the script to everything else - it struck a chord with me, something all other Iñárritu films I've seen haven't managed to do.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Wonder Woman.

Entertaining with minimal dark and broody angst and plenty of heart. Interesting take that the whole film is basically a flashback from the modern day Wonder Woman looking at a photograph sent to her by Wayne.

Although curse my apparently highly refined trope spotting abilities, I somehow guessed the Ares reveal twist way before it happened. 

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Wonder Woman.

Entertaining with minimal dark and broody angst and plenty of heart. Interesting take that the whole film is basically a flashback from the modern day Wonder Woman looking at a photograph sent to her by Wayne.

Although curse my apparently highly refined trope spotting abilities, I somehow guessed the Ares reveal twist way before it happened. 

Excellent movie that I've seen a couple of times. Its one of the best superhero movies and this is coming from an X-Man fan. WW surpasses those movies IMO. 

When she battled a certain someone, I didn't believe for a minute that individual was Ares. You're talking about a god who's portfolio is war after all. 

In Batman vs Superman, she's very reluctant to help out against Doomsday at first. Her attitude was like, I don't want to get involved in human problems again, I don't want to get burned again. Then she finally gives in and helps out after all. Now that we see her past, now I know why she was reluctant. 

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

"Entertaining with minimal dark and broody angst"

Dude. It had a lot of darkness and brooding angst. That is one of the reasons it was awesome.

Anyways...

Guardians of the Galaxy ONE - Yeah. I just watched it. As I suspected, it was  vastly overrated. Some good aprts some bad parts. A lot of it was gibberish and way toot ry hard with the comedy and the characters. But, it wa snetetrianing nonthless. 7/10

Transformers 5 -  Meh. Probably the worst Transformers movie with only 3 fighting it and certainly not as good as Transformers 4. Long gooblygook and the 'transofmer queen' was way underdeveloped.  6/10

Baby Driver -  Another overrated movie but still opretty good though  but all this talk of it being 'original' is bullcrap. there is nothing original about it. NOTHING. But, still a  fun movie with fun characters.  Mostly predictable but it has at least one surprising death. 8/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Haven't seen Baby Driver.

I do really like Edgar Wright as a director. But I really only like Three Flavours Cornetto. So it leaves me wondering if I'm really just a Simon Pegg & Nick Frost fan. Which I am. I just don't know if I'm an Edgar Wright fan in addition to that. I'm expecting Baby Driver to give me my answer. While he's good at interesting shots, as much of that could be the cinematographer and editor that he happens to be working with.

"Entertaining with minimal dark and broody angst"

Dude. It had a lot of darkness and brooding angst. That is one of the reasons it was awesome.

Seriously, compared to the Batman or Superman films, there was barely any dark and broody angst.

There's barely any dark and broody teenager angst in Wonder Woman. There's semi-angst that fits in naturally because of the whole WW1 element and the nature of war, but no deep, broody, dark-grim teenage angst for the sake of angst that so fills up the previous DC films.

• Like 1

I love it when people try to argue pointlessly against Volo. Makes me feel less alone because I can't stop tilting at that windmill either. :lol:

I watched Power Rangers, which wasn't actually that bad. I kinda wished it was just those kids bonding. The actual FX-laden climax was a bit meh in comparison.

• Like 3

In Hot Pursuit (1977 aka Polk County Pot Plane): Low budget regional film about a group of pothead drug smugglers who are chased by police in rural-ish Georgia (USA).  There's no real characterization to talk about, and a lot of stiff acting that mostly is an excuse to set up the next chase, but the action sequences are staged pretty well for a movie that proclaims "No stunt-men were used" in the credits.

Golden Needles (1974) Joe Don Baker is hired by Elizabeth Ashley who is working for Burgess Meredith to steal a small statue that shows a secret acupuncture technique that can restore vitality from a man who killed to get it.  Double crosses abound; Jim Kelly offers some solid support in the LA sequences.  From Robert Clouse, director of Enter the Dragon (and Gymkata).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I love it when people try to argue pointlessly against Volo. Makes me feel less alone because I can't stop tilting at that windmill either. :lol:

I watched Power Rangers, which wasn't actually that bad. I kinda wished it was just those kids bonding. The actual FX-laden climax was a bit meh in comparison.

But what about those Krispy Kreme donuts, though? :p

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

As they say in the honest trailers, it makes a great  teenage drama film right up until the point the fighting breaks out in the last 20 minutes of the film.

The first half did give me a very Breakfast Club vibe.  :lol:

Watched Police Academy for the first time since I was a youth, I remembered it as a funny film, but goddamn was there alot of things I missed back then. It's even funnier than I remember! xD

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Watched Police Academy for the first time since I was a youth, I remembered it as a funny film, but goddamn was there alot of things I missed back then. It's even funnier than I remember! xD

am suspecting you enjoyed too much rum before watching the movie.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Saw The Lost City of Zed. I hadn't heard about it until looking for a movie tonight, and ended up really liking it.

I sort of expected it to be live-action The Road to El Dorado. Instead I got a solid historic biopic. I really enjoyed it's themes and tone.

Security.

A fairly low run but amusing action-thriller, Antonio Banderas as a former soldier having to take a low-paying job as a night shift mall security, only to have his first night on the job interrupted by federal witness on the run, a young girl being hunted by Ben Kingsley's mercenary/gang enforcer. Cue stand off between a group of assorted mall cops and the highly trained gang throughout the various shopping departments. Plus Kingsley goes through a wide variety of his accents through the whole movie.

am suspecting you enjoyed too much rum before watching the movie.

HA! Good Fun!

Well, I won't say it didn't help ;) but I've always loved such comedies.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Finally watched John Wick 2. The movie felt so short. Wouldn't say it was better than the first, but now they got the option for a third movie... hope they won't milk it too much, because that quick action sequence stuff is beginning to wear off already for me.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Saw King Arthur...Katie Mcgrath is quickly becoming the female Sean Bean.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

New Spider-Man was disappointing. Spider-Man himself was bit too whiny, even though good meaning brat. Villain was probably best written character in the movie, but his motivations were probably bit too well justified as I found myself rooting him over Spider-Man. Teen romance storyline was just awfully written garbage.  Iron Man continues to be annoying character. I did like how they portray Avengers as corporation that doesn't have time for little people and their problems. Movie has nice funny moments, but its plot isn't interesting enough to prevent boredom at certain moments. Overall, I would say that it is probably worst of MCU's movies, which it's part of even though it is bit independent spin-off as its is produced by Sony (Columbia Pictures) film instead of Disney.

New Spider-Man was disappointing. Spider-Man himself was bit too whiny, even though good meaning brat. Villain was probably best written character in the movie, but his motivations were probably bit too well justified as I found myself rooting him over Spider-Man. Teen romance storyline was just awfully written garbage.  Iron Man continues to be annoying character. I did like how they portray Avengers as corporation that doesn't have time for little people and their problems. Movie has nice funny moments, but its plot isn't interesting enough to prevent boredom at certain moments. Overall, I would say that it is probably worst of MCU's movies, which it's part of even though it is bit independent spin-off as its is produced by Sony (Columbia Pictures) film instead of Disney.

Pistols at dawn.

• Like 1